Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H-18 Replacement Boat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I have finally worn out my 1985 H-18. After 19 years of use I have finally worn the hull bottoms so thin that they are starting to leak. My question is what would be a good replacement boat for the H-18 since it is no longer in production? I sail in Lake MI so I need a sea-worthy boat. I also must have wings. In addtion a 400 pound boat is about the maximum I can drag around so 18 feet is probably about the upper limit of size. Would I be happy with the new Getaway? How about the Tiger? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Hobie 18 magnum, so I can appreciate your love for this boat. I crew for the Hobie Tiger/F18s, and I can tell you it's a well-made boat that functions best with two people on it so you can utilize the spinnaker in winds over 10 k. However, it is somewhat fragile (not as fragile as the miracle), so you have to always keep it on cat trax and avoid running it up on the beach.

I understand you can get wings for them, but now everything is getting pricey for you.

Wyatt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it is just the bottoms getting thin a fiberglass shop or someone can rebuild them. If the boat is getting soft and tired perhaps a Tiger. I know of a person in Muskegon that totaled his H-18 and ended up geting a XXXXX 5.8 and he is happy with it. The wings if they are the newer style are worth some $$.

1989 H-18 10079
Zeeland Mi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am a Tiger sailor having come from the Hobie 20 and the Hobie 16 before that. Tiger a fine boat if you want to race...great boat as a matter of fact.

If you are not into racing and just what to have a boat to put some people on and have some fun, then I think the Getaway is a good choice. I have sailed one and was pretty impressed by the way it sails. I can also be loaded up wiegh-wise. I was on it with three people and it sailed okay. For fun make sure to get the front trampoline. Even if you only use it for nice days it may help you talk a couple of hotties on board for some nice scenery.

A fine boat and bouncable.

Later,
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was the one that had a little mishap with an H-18... Long story (leeshore sailing)... The 5.8 is a great replacement boat for racing.

However, I know of an excellent Formula H-18 that is for sale, this one is an excellent buy. Newer mylar main sail, tramp in excellent shape, hulls solid, and overall race ready or pleasure sail ready! I have crewed on this boat and if it was around when I demolished my Hobie I would have snagged it!

Details:
2nd Season Mylar sails
Harken Hardware
New Trap wires
EPO rudders
Galvanized Trailer
"Toy Box" Sailbox
Spare tire
Everything works, this is one clean setup. Ready to go to the races next weekend.

Contact Andy Teichman
248-798-3106

He may be willing to make payment arrangements with you if you are interested. You can see a pic @ http://www.fleet276.com/ (classified section).

Good luck!

Ken :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

One of our fleet members has a Formula 18 for sale in your area -

go to http://www.fleet276.com and click on the "Classified" button.