Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be launching the Adventure through the Surf on Saturday morning. Only the second time I have been out and this time to go fishing. I purchased some leashes and want to leash my mirage drive lest I lose it to Davy Jones. I mounted a padeye to the front of the cockpit for a connection point.

Where is an appropriate connection point to the mirage drive? I saw a photo somewhere and cannot find it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just my opinion which is contrary to Hobie's.

When I surf launch I use the supplied bungie to keep the fins against the hull. I do not remove the drive during launch or landing. It does see some extra sand this way, but I haven't broken anything.

Just one less thing to deal with.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Just my opinion which is contrary to Hobie's.

I wouldn't say that is contrary to Hobie's opinion. I do not remove the drive for beach launches and I use the drive as soon as I can pedal. I can usually get pedaling as soon as the hull will float me using the short stroke (flutter) method till I get in deeper water for full strokes. I still like to have the paddle in my hands though for sharp course adjustments.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I chickened out and did not go out through the surf last weekend. What helped me make my decision was that I ended up taking my son out his first time on a yak. Dealing with the surf the first time out may not have turned out so good. Better to get him hooked then dunk him. :twisted:

I suppose I was not very clear in my leashing of the mirage drive in my original post. I have seen a photo of how some guy has a leash on his drive similar to using a leash on a pole or paddle in case it goes overboard for some reason. I mounted a padeye on yak under the mast hole to clip a leash to but not sure where to hook up to the mirage drive while underway.

Picked up the ST Turbo fins and can see how that set screw may back out if the mast rods are not installed correctly. Need to make sure the set screw is sitting exactly flat against the notch to prevent the mast from working back and forth and becoming loose. Should work fine by following the instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here ya go--
The stock Hobie eye strap on the port side is a good place to attach the end of the leash. I replaced mine with SS, but the stock nylon one should be fine.

Here's how to make your own from one of my earlier posts.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ight=leash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That'll do!