Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need your expert opinon on wether to buy a Hobie revoltion or the Adventure. I ma 6.3 and 225lb. I eard the REV is wetter ride than the Advanture. is this correct?. I will be wishing in the bay calmer water as well the surf. The third question is there any diffrence between the 07 model versus the coming 08 model?. hen the 08 model are avialiable to purshase.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

being new to kayak fishing ( i just purchased a Revo) i'm not qualified to answer your question, but i participated in a surf launch / return clinic this past weekend here in SoCal. one of the guys had an Adventure and i noted that he was sitting lower in the water than i, even though we were about the same size. i believe the Revo has a little more freeboard. we were both first timers in the surf but both boats performed well (though we both spilled coming in the first time :P ) but man, what fun!
good luck on your choice...you can't go wrong either way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

steveo wrote:
...you can't go wrong either way!

I second that. :)

Revo is easier to load on a vehicle, almost as fast as the Adventure but faster than the Outback, has plenty of room for most people and is in my opinion a better comprimise. If you contemplate sailing the Adventure is the way to go with its included daggerboard capability. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:10 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I like the rev better personally. Easier to handle on land and easier to transport. Its a great all around boat, I just spent 2 hours fishing behind the house in one. If you have any specific questions about the revolution let me know I fish out of it at least 3 times a week! we did our comparisons when we first for the rev againf the adventure, I found the revolution to be just as good as the adventure in just about every aspect.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi joeban,

try both and see which one you prefer. Guys 6'4" and above generally find the Adventure more comfortable so you might be on the limit for the Revolution.

You will get different opinions on which one is a wetter ride. The Revolution rides higher but I did think I was getting more spray from the chop last weekend than my buddy in his Adventure. However, he probably thought the same thing about his Adventure. In any case kayaking is a water sport.

Regards
Grant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wet? Who cares about wet when you are sitting ona piece of plastic just at water line level. Open the scuppers and sit in a puddle if you weigh 220+ pounds. :) Maybe stay dry in/on the Outback but spray can get you any time on any HPB ride!

In the winter wear a dry suit and stay warm. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Revo, a buddy of mine has the AI. We launched out of Redondo Beach a few months ago. Speed wise both handled similarly, I kept up - no problem. One thing I did notice in the open ocean was that once I got up to rammng speed ) 5+ mph with the mirage drive I was taking ALOT more spray than the AI was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently purchased a Hobie Mirage Adventure Island. That is classified as a sailing kayak, but without the sail and outriggers it is the Hobie Mirage Adventure. I've used it more for fishing than sailing. It is 30% slower than my 18'10" x 21" sea kayak. But, as a fishing kayak, it is great. It is relaxing--I hang 1 leg or both legs over the side (same side or opposite sides) when I tire of sitting in the cockpit. I carry a cooler w/ ice which stores my fish and cools my drinks. It is easy to deploy an anchor--I don't use a trolly system to handle the lines, just tie the anchor rope behind my seat and throw it out. I was out in 15 mph winds in FL Bay yesterday w/o problem.

If you think you might get into sailing or sailing and fishing, the AI is the way to go. It is easy to set up and very stable. Little or no sailing experience to get started. It is a very forgiving sail boat.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Adventure and am 6' 2" 220lbs. Really nice yak on the water. I have a 12' yak and on the water the Adventure beats it hands down no question. Loading and unloading a 16' yak compared to a 12'...a bit more of a chore but the performance, speed and comfort more than makes up for it. I have never tried the revolution but if you plan on going out on the big water I vote for the Adventure. Find a Hobie dealer and try out both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mg2969 wrote:
I have the Revo, a buddy of mine has the AI. We launched out of Redondo Beach a few months ago. Speed wise both handled similarly, I kept up - no problem. One thing I did notice in the open ocean was that once I got up to rammng speed ) 5+ mph with the mirage drive I was taking ALOT more spray than the AI was.

MG,
Not to change the subject but where do you put in in Redondo harbor ?
and were you out at topaz jetty last Friday 10-26 ? I was riding on the bike path and saw a yaker fishing near the jetty.

Hummingbird 220 FF.

REVO in LA Harbor

Harbor City,
Doesn't have a harbor...
Nor is it a City...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

to the left of joes, behind ruby's