Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

does anyone from Delaware/Maryland Eastern shore peruse the fourms? or just sail in the area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does the Chesapeake bay count? I used to sail the MD/DE shore often, but it's been a while.- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:58 pm 
Rehobeth bay sailor here. Also the Big Assawoman Bay (Fenwick Island) on occasion.

Post subject: its all good
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the water is wet everywhere around the delmarva pensula isnt it? its all good baby!
Nice to meet you.
- chris

Post subject: Sailing Assateague ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before kids and reality hit us we used to gather with a dozen or so friends at Assateague, carry the 16's and beer over the dunes, and sail until we were sore. After a few years of this, windsurfers started to show up- the more the merrier. But the last I checked, there was a problem with Park Services having to rescue windsurfers all the time, soooo they put in a park regulation that would not allow "wind powered craft to land on or launch from the beach" :roll:

Anyone know anything about this because the kids are bigger now and I would love to hit the ocean again. Nothing like blasting through the surf, trapped out and flying both hulls off the water :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess if you haven't alralready you will find out soon huh? were you still planning on going on your trip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any Havre de Grace Cat sailors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm in Annapolis and sail out of Sandy Point Beach. Always looking for more Hobies.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Places to sail
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rehobath Bay is awesome. Nice ocean breezes mid-day and no significant surf to battle. Only downside - shollow but sailable at low tide. Great sailing club. RBSA :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey , Nick- are you one of the old East Beach sailors? I used to sail Sandy Point all the time until they ran us off to the North Beach and made it difficult for a few seasons to get a boat to the bay. Then we bought property on Hatteras NC- you know how it goes. How's launching there currently? I've thought about keeping a boat up here for the weekends I can't get to NC. Thanks- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dave,

Yeah, I launched off Sandy Point last season. It was better than where I launched in Salem, MA the year before. My biggest issue with the beach is it's always being pounded by the waves and really beats the boat up.

I'm probably going to check out places on the the coast in DE. I miss the ocean sailing and I found that the wind in the bay is lacking for my tastes.

I do live about 15 minutes from Sandy Point though, so it remains an attractive launching site when short on time. If you ever plan on being in the area, let me know. Maybe we can plan a sail.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

what about some where more north like bowers or slaughter beach in DE? is there beach access there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not sure about public beach access at Bowers or Slaughter (believe there are public ramps at each, though a bit upriver from the open bay in each case), but I sail my Wave on the Delaware Bay from my cottage at Broadkill Beach, which is just a bit farther south than Slaughter (around 15 miles). Route 16 (broadkill beach road) dead ends at the Bay, and there is a small parking area, general store, and beach access there. We don't get too many catamarans on Del Bay, for some reason - the conditions are often very good - winds nearly as strong as on the ocean, sandy beaches, and much gentler surf than the ocean. There can be a fair degree of chop, though, especially at low tide, as the Bay is quite shallow in parts. Hope to see you on the Bay sometime!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Right on! I'm gunna get down there, do some recon and drag the cat down shortly there after. I'll keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Excellent - usually its just me out there, sometimes a windsurfer or two, maybe a sunfish now and then - would be great to see some more cats on the bay!