Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front cross bar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two questions. Any recommendations for re-threading the line through the front cross-bar. Its the jib line that travels through the bar, it pulled out of the bar, not sure if I have to remove end caps or another way. And do you guys have your jib lines attached to the clew directly or do you use that 3'6" line in the clew?? Thanks.. Oh yea where should I shop for sails, other than the Hobie website??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

First of all I'm not aware of any "jib lines" running thru the front crossbar. The only "line" that I remember is in the older model Miracles, the barber hauler threaded thru but was changed on the newer models to routing outside of the crossbar. Currently the only thing running thru the crossbar in a typical setup is the front trapeze bungee. If you can post a picture, perhaps we can understand the usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah i'm not sure about the jib lines on here...atlhough i think i saw a thread about people running the down haul through the cross bar. if you are talking about rethreading the bungee for the front trap, we have done that. you'll have to drill out the rivets and pry off the end caps. the line for say the port trap will tie off on the inside of the port end cap, then thread through the x bar, through the small block on the starboard end cap, then back trhough the xbar and out one of the little holes. hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you will only have to take one of the endcaps off to run the line. If you put a very thin line in the end of the tiller stick you can use a pair of needle-nose pliers to fish it out. Use the thin line to fish the larger line through.

I used to run both my jibsheet and downhaul through the front crossbar. I do that presently on my Tiger. No bungee, and make the line just long enough to pull through so you can adjust it so it does not dangle in the water on the leeward side.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Dan,

How did you run the jib sheet through the crossbar on a Hobie 20? I am lost on this one.

Did you run the free end of the downhaul through the crossbar or did you run the downhaul through the crossbar at the mastbase with a deckplate and turning block?

Whiskeytown H20

Why are you looking to buy new sails? Main or jib? Are your sails really shot? Are you planning to race?

You need stock sails if you want to race one design. If you are just cruising, some of the race guys may have a used set of sails to sell you if you are cruising most of the time and if you want to you can still race!

Beware of oversized sails. The 20 already has plenty of power and the balance of the boat is good with stock sails. Bigger sails may need bigger/stronger rudders/wires/hull reinforcements/a single extrusion mast... ...stick with stock Hobie stuff.