Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay this has been bugging me for a while now.

I've been bungeeing my water bottles to the tramp lacing in the center, just behind the mast, because it seems convenient and nobody really sits there. The problem with that though is that the jib sheet is always hanging up on them.

So on Saturday I tried bungeeing them around the dolphin striker which gets them out of the way of the jib sheet MOST of the time, but if the lazy sheet hangs down *just so* then it'll still catch on them in that position as well. Finally I moved them so that they were *hanging* from the tramp lacing behind the dolphin striker which put them totally out of the way of the jib sheets, but it also made them so inconvenient that my GF and I just elected to stay thirsty rather than heave-to and retrieve them again.

So what do YOU do?

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject: Beverage
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a pretty good sized tramp bag. I stick a water bottle, my main and jib halyards, some pins and a disposable camera in there. I got my from Salty Dog marine for like $12. I saw one similar in the hobie catalog as well. At least it works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We use a soft side cooler. Keeps more than drinks out of the way AND we stick our portable radio/tape deck in the mesh side pocket.
Thing works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Right, right, but where ON THE BOAT do you put the coolers/bags so they're not in the way? :?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jamie,
I owe you an apology. I didn't make it down to San Angelo on Aug. 28th. I had to do some work on the boat to get ready for the Ruff Rider race around South Padre. It was my first Ruff Rider which is a 100 mile race around the island over a two day period. We ended up 13th, but could have been 9th if we had finished 14 seconds faster. Oh well. I just wanted to let you know how we store beverages. My crew bought a camelback copy backpack from Wal-mart and it has a pocket in the front. It cost around $20 and uses the same type plastic buckles as some of the newer trap harnesses. We take the pack, lay it strap side down pocket up, and intertwine the straps through the middle lacing. We then run the drinking hose out the front towards the mast so when we are sailing downwind we can both have access to the hose. We store about 3 or 4 bottles of water in the pocket and whatever else we might need for the day. This works out pretty good because the pack lays somewhat flat on the tramp keeping the sheet from getting tangled and is soft so when the crew switches sides there is nothing hard or sharp to injure them.
I hope this might help.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good idea about the camelpak. I'll look into it!

Meanwhile, the weather was bad the day you were supposed to come up here and I didn't even go to the lake. I felt pretty guilty because I was afraid you'd show up, but then I thought you probably would have checked the weather and not come if you'd seen it was bad and if you did there wouldn't be sailing anyway.... :p

Jim

Post subject: Deck ports and Cat Bags
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim- Hydration bags are a great idea, they come in a variety of sizes but also a variety of quality, Camel backs and Platypus are pretty different. EMS had a great sale recently on the Camelback. Check out a local outdoor shop for the pro's and cons of different materials, ease of cleaning, durability, type of nozzle and hose etc. You can put other imbibments in them too: Wine, OK. Beer, not :lol:

Got beer? Install Hatch Cover Kits and outfit one with a Fat Cat Bag. From what I have seen of your handiwork, installation would be easy for you. The kits come with everything, including clear silicon to do the job. All you need is a drill and a saber saw with a fine (like a metal cutting) blade. Oh yeah a dust mask. Heck, if I can do it, anybody can do it. :oops: The Fat Cat Bag will hold a six pack on ice easily. The standard Cat Bag is nice too for your keys, cat tool, your cat, whatever....OK NOT your cat :?

I recommend four total hatches. One pair ahead of the front crossbar, usually in the spot that delaminates up there (killing two birds with one stone- new hatch, no soft spot). The second pair of course behind the rear crossbar.

There are a couple added benefits of putting ports fore and aft in each hull.
1) You can now inspect the hulls from the inside out. This is the only way to truly tell how thin your keels are getting by how much light is coming through :shock:
2) You can access and inspect the stanchions and repair little stress cracks that may develop.
3) Dry Hulls!! With the hatch covers removed fore and aft, air can flow and dry the hulls. If you are towing the boat on a dry day, this works really well. Remember- a dry boat is a fast boat. 8)

OK, enough chatter, let's sail!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, Jaime!
I run the strap for the cooler through the lacing in the middle of tramp right up close to the mast. It's the crew's responsibility to get the drinks, snacks, change the radio station/tape, etc. Works great and we've never had a problem with the jib sheets getting stuck. (Unless, of course, crew has been lounging and gets the jib sheet tangled around her leg!)

HOWEVER, those fat bags look great and are on my Christmas list!

Fair winds,
Nick