Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I’m back on a Hobie (HC-18 Magnum) after 20 years and I’m interested in participating in local Hobie regattas, but my ’79 boat has it’s original all-aluminum mast. I know the IHCA class rules require a comp-tip in of HC-18’s in North America. ( I guess there are no lawyers or over-head power lines in the South Pacific Region where All- aluminum masts are mandatory :wink: ). My budget doesn’t include the cost of the comp-tip. Not to mention insurance, registration fees, and new set of sails that would be necessary to be anywhere near competitive. :(

:?: Has anyone suggested modifying the IHCA rules to allow the older boats to sail with the equipment as they were manufactured? :?: The pre ’83-84 boats should be allowed to participate in Hobie sanctioned regattas without the expense of installing a comp-tip. Let’s face it, the comp-tip alone is nearly half the price of some of these early 80’s boats on e-bay. This would allow novice sailors who may only be able to afore a old-used boat to participate and enjoy the racing aspect of the Hobie life and possible increase fleet membership without threatening the competitive nature a the newer boats. A 25 year old boat surely would be heavier and soft. Allowing only those boat originally delivered with an all-aluminum mast to race with one would prevent newer boat owners from scavenging the older boats for there masts. (Assuming the aluminum masts has any performance advantage.)

I love Hobie sailing and I’m looking forward to introducing my son’s to racing, Hobies are fun, and fast and affordable for the entry race with used boats. Way not ease the financial cost for those of use who only have the budge for a 25 year old boat. I promise, If I win a regatta I’ll buy a comp-tip. :wink:

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

danneskjold wrote:
I promise, If I win a regatta I’ll buy a comp-tip. :wink:

Whoops, you blew it there!
:roll:

ALL your answers are the right ones, but the rule is in place, which unfortunately gives the guy that pours money into his boat an excuse to protest you.

Comp-tips are ridiculous and adopting them into the class rules was a mistake.

Race the boat and let 'em protest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), Hobie Cat builds a product that has a very long lifespan.

There are boats out there that are over 20 years old that are still very competitive - that don't have Comptips. Case in point is my 1985 H-14 that was the lightest boat at the North Americans last month (3 lbs over minimum). Of course, it now has a Comptip for racing.

I'm not going to re-iterate the arguments about the Comptip. Suffice to say that the rule is not going to go away. Ever. Get over it, already. :roll:

According to the rules, you are allowed one exemption to race. After that, you must get a Comptip to race, or be subject to protest.

On a practical matter, you're not likely to be protested until you start beating people. They don't want to spend the time in "the Room" any more than you do.

Hobie dealers are encouraged to sell the Comptip retrofit kit at cost+shipping to first-time users. Keep your eyes on eBay, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. I'll buy a comp-tip with the “Huge" winners’ purse :wink: , when I win a regatta.

My point, boats old enough to have an original all-aluminum mast won't be competitive. So way not let them race (without harassment), and build the active fleets?

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would say, as a NJ racer, it's definitely worth it to bring your boat out. I doubt anyone would hassle you about the comptip if you are a novice. I believe there are also some other novices in the area that are racing 18s with all-aluminum masts. If you start to do well, you may feel some pressure to get a comptip, but for now, I supsect everyone will be happy to see a new face.

There is a pretty good crowd of 18's racing in NJ. Usually between 4 and 8 at any given regatta. There's a good range of skill level too. Check out the division 11 website if you haven't already for schedule, etc. There are two more Hobie regattas this season.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

I hope for your sons sake, and for the promotion of the sport, that your experience is without harassment.

My contention is if one recreational sailor feels not having a comp-tip is THE deterant to trying their hand at racing, that's one too many.

Have a good time and progress to the point where you'll seek a newer, lighter boat...with a comp-tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Div 7 chair Andy Larson's beloved 1994 Hobie 16 was recently struck by lightning while pulled up on shore. It shredded the comptip and did some minor damage to the boat otherwise. The real deal was the guy pulling his boat up on the beach, about 50 feet away, having just go out of the water, that is NOT dead right now, I would like to think, because the lightning didn't conduct that way it would have had he had a straight aluminium stick.
Food for thought. A couple hundred bucks is one thing, dead friends is another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Why is it all the boats I see on ebay or basically any other place that are for sale do not have a comptip? Is it possible that none were ever raced?
Thanks, John G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

John G,

It's highly likely that many of these boats were raced up through the time of retrofit introduction (1986) or soon after.

Realize the peak of production was in the early 80's and declined dramatically by the time comptips became standard issue.

I'd guess the number of 16's somewhere close to 80 thousand boats (pre- comptip)

Post subject: comp-tips
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wonder how many boats out there would show up at regattas if they could get a com-tip for a more reasonable price? If we could get enough people who - a) need a comp-tip and b) would show up to regattas if they had a comp-tip - then I bet we could figure out how to make it happen.

If the price of a comp-tip is the only think keeping you from attending regattas then let's hear from you.

Post subject: Re: comp-tips
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 am 
Site Admin

BobMerrick wrote:
I wonder how many boats out there would show up at regattas if they could get a com-tip for a more reasonable price?

The Hobie 16 CompTip is currently $ 490.00 List and available as a retrofit through dealers or dircet through Hobie Cat at about $ 318.50

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How about for Hobie 18s? I have a 25 year old boat HC-18 Magnum that I purchased to social sailing with the family. After replacing standing and running rigging (and new sails if I expect to be competitive) I can quickly double my purchase price just to make the boat safe to sail. And since Hobie discontinued production of the 18, the fleets will only get older. Reasonable price depends on the boat you’re investing in. For the HC-18 fleet, there are few boats participating in the local regattas to begin with. As these boats age, there will be even less. :cry: Way not encourage these few remaining boat owner to participate in local regattas. Eventually we will all need to replace our 18. This is a built in future fleet for HC-16 if you encourage them to participate in HCA regattas. Otherwise they may consider other beachcats. :evil:

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This past weekend we had a great regatta in Shore Acres, NJ. There was a good Hobie 18 fleet of about 5 boats. The 18 fleet in our area seems to be holding steady if not growing. I would bet next year we could see regattas with close to 10 boats. Some racers have fairly new boats, some are old. I won the regatta on my boat which is an '85 with a beat old mainsail. The second place boat was an old "frankenboat" from mid 80's. Third place boat is from around 2000. All in the top 3 won at least one race.

The point is, these boats last and stay competitive for a while. Winning races is 95% about sailing, 5% about the boat. If you're interested in racing, bring out what you've got and have fun! Next Hobie regatta is in 3 weeks in Rehoboth, DE.

sm