Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In Michigan you do not need registration numbers on a Kayak and the AI is considered a Kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure it varies from state to state, and AI owners will just have to test the waters and see if their boat needs to be registered. If registration and hull letters/numbers are required, I'm sure it can be figured out where to put them.

Here in Florida, the Dept of Motor Vehicles states that all boats (vessels) longer than 12' have to be registered and that requires hull letters/numbers. However, in 12 years of paddling sea kayaks between 18-20' long, I have never registered a boat and I have never been bothered by the authorities. I have been stopped occasionally and asked about a fishing license.

Post subject: Boat Numbers
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Think about it. How are the marine police going to the pull up next to me when my ama is in the way. Logistically this is stupid. I'll pay the fee, put the stickers on the front top off the bow(which they wont see because of the splash shield) and take them to court if they endanger me by pulling up next to me. Next thing they will want to board! The law in NC is 14'. :roll: :x :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cekikka - I thought FL registration applied to boats having a motor (gas or electric trolling). Anyway, I can honestly say I've never seen a kayak with reg numbers on it yet.

Launched Island several times at the same time marine patrol was launching his craft. Never a mention about reg. numbers. He made comments about the craft, and how well it was made, ect.

So, I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic, the Florida DMV states in response to a FAQ:
Quote:
If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be titled.

I believe if it is titled, it must have registration numbers. Again, no one I know has titled/registered a sea kayak.

Unfortunately, as more restrictions are placed on powerboaters because of their damaging and endangering the marine environment, the powerboaters are prone to blame kayakers/canoeists. Then, the powerboaters complain that if they are being restricted, kayakers/canoeists must also be restricted. Go figure.

Post subject: Texas registration
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:55 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

You need to register your AI in Texas. We have been through this in detail with Texas Parks and Wildlife. It is over 14 feet in length and sail or motor powered, so it has to be registered.

The simple plastic number stickers work pretty good because the hull is smooth.

Jay
KO Sailing
281-867-8200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In Kansas and Oklahoma you do not need to register an Adventure Island Kayak. I have checked several times with authorities on that. Also, on lakes that require day use fees on boats and sail boards, the Adventure Island is considered a "Kayak" and thus no fees apply.

John