Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 14 and have no job I might be lucky enough to sell a beat up Zuma for some cash but what I want is the Cadilac of Sailboats the Hobie 16! Yea baby!!!! All I need is for you guys to help me find some good one that a child and an instruction manuel can fix up. Also maby under $5,000 but lower is better!!!!! I am poor and my mom says she wont help pay for this endevor so please can you help a young sailor find his way in these stormy waters of boat buying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey there - I thought I'd mention that your budget doesn't need to be so large to pick up a sweet '16. I paid $900 for my 1984 Hobie 16 in Oregon a year ago - ready to sail with a trailer. Though it didn't NEED any work, I put a lot of time and effort into it and now people assume it's brand new. Point is that you don't need $5,000 to get a killer boat!

eBay lists a lot of Hobie 16's - I found mine for sale on www.craigslist.com, another site you could check out. If you don't live in a big city search for boats that are in city's near where you live. That'd be my advice.

One more thought, and this is how a friend of mine bought a brand new Hobie 16 - use your student loan money in college and hook it up!

Good luck!

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd avoid using credit to buy your boat, but you can certainly get one for far less than $5000! Especially as a beginner you can learn all the important stuff on a boat you can get for around $1000. I'm using the H16 my dad bought in 1972 and I still have a LOT to learn before I'll "need" a newer (faster) boat.

Hope that helps!

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject: Be Smart!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with all of the above. End of season is approaching in many areas of the country, and opportunities may spring up. keep in touch with your local marinas and yacht clubs - they know LOTS of stuff about who has what boats for sale, and may have abandoned boats at auction before the end of the year. (we are bidding on one this weekend for the sails and rudders, rest of boat is r-o-u-g-h)

Get a partner with money - We bought our 1983 boat for $600 in April 2004 at a local thrift store. Complete with everything (except mainsheet system) including double trap rig. Spent another $500 on all new lines, mainsheet system, misc hardware, life jackets, trap harnesses, etc. Spent $100 on the trailer to rewire and new wheels and tires. Had to buy a used tramp 1/2 way through the season ($100). Total costs are split in half - it amounts to a negligible amount

Will need to spend another $250 this winter on fixing the scratches and dings we put in the hulls over the summer. I would be totally bummed if it was a newer boat, but minor damage to a solid older boat is "OK" in my book as part of the learning experience.

All in all - What else could you do for major fun all summer for less than $750?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree, as well.
I bought my H16 for $600.00 including trailer with catbox. The only things I've done to it are things I wanted to do (i.e. added SitnSail seats, motor mount, Hobie Bob, etc.)

One of the great things about the Hobie world is that you DON'T have to spend a fortune to get involved.

Unless you want to, of course... :wink:

Fair winds,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

im selling mine. Already restored and ready to be raced.

Check the beach cats

The link has photos as all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

robi wrote:
im selling mine. Already restored and ready to be raced.

Check the beach cats

The link has photos as all.

Woah dood, I remember you just finished repainting that boat a month or so ago! Why are you selling it all of a sudden? If I put that much work into the boat I'd be keeping it for a long time! Oh well; best of luck.

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

upgrades! I have always wanted something bigger and faster. I want to get into the F18 class. 8)

Post subject: I got one too
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 16 for sale too in the Midwest $650 with trailer 1977 boat complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an 18 there awesome. I will never get rid of my 16 though (the one I bought new atleast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Acctually you know what kid!! I have a decent 1980 model that was my exwifes boat, since shes gone now and it's killin the grass next to my pool,...you can HAVE it if you promise to sail it every chance you get. That is if your truely going to dedicate yourself to becoming a real Hobie sailor. ....BUT,...the catch.....You gotta get a trailor and the boats in Florida. If you can get your self a trailor and get to FL to pick it up you can have it. ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!

I wish someone would've given me a damn boat when I was your age, I'd of atleast been to the worlds once by now.

Post subject: reply to Sean Bradly
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sean can i get your email and also could yousee how much it would coast to ship it too me I'll pay for it but I need to know just how much. Also are you located anywhere nere Duneiden? If you are I might be able to have some one pick it up. I would send you a check to try and buy a triler and then they could drive it up to Philly for me. If you could find all of this out it would be greatly appreciated here is my e-mail

[email protected]