Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from a new Owner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello from Las Vegas,

I am the proud new owner of the AI. As far as I know I might be the only one here in Vegas with the AI. I bought the AI for a few reasons. First I hoped it would be something to get my family more involved in sailing. I have a Catalina 250 and the wife and kids like to go on the boat but are not into sailing as much as I am. This came true the first day. We went out on Labor Day and the kids had a blast. They were sailing all over the place. The nice thing is that if they got in trouble they just peddled. Second my daughter is going to USD and I wanted to be able to bring something down to SD when we visit. I can go sailing, exploring and fishing when I am there. Third, I will be able to go explore Lake Mead and the Colorado River. I like sailing on the Lake and with the water level droping so much there are a lot of things exposed that have never been before. The concrete batch plan from the dam is exposed for the first time since the lake was made. Also the river is a great place to explore. You have hot springs, wild life, and great landscape. The AI is a great vehicle to take you to different places and different experiences.

I have been looking through the post here and have leanrned a lot so far. I am planning on keeping the AI at my slip. I placed the ama's and outriggers in the sail boat as well as the mast and drive system. The kayak is covered loaded and locked on the deck right now. It was not easy to place it on the deck. I am thinking of leaving it in the water next to the boat tied between the boat and the dock. I found some styrofoam blocks that are 30"x9"x9" to put the kayak on. My plan is to set the kayak on the dock. Place it in the cover. Tie the cover tight to the kayak, than place the kayak tied on the blocks. I will than place it in the water. The the kayak should be off the water by at least 6" or so. Let me know what you all think. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a plan, the warranty does say it is void if kept in the water but it sounds like you plan more of a dry dock setup.

I hope to make it out west someday and would like to sail on Lake Powell, hopefully before it goes completely dry. :shock:

gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also own a sailboat (Com-Pac Suncat) and was looking for a kayak to use as a dinghy. I bought an AI and then was able to pick up a second one (used), I was also hoping I could get my children more interested in sailing. They were bored. :(

My son and I did go camping in the Adirondacks this summer and took both AI and had a great time. I only brought the kayaks and wish I had the sails because the wind was perfect.
Imageect.

Now, my AI is always on my car when I take my Suncat in case there's no wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. Here is a link to some pictures of the kayak on a dry dock I made. Check it out http://brakeman.multiply.com/ I worked well. I just need to find a way to keep the blocks attached at the dock when I leave. I put the two blocks together and used a strap to hold them tight and than tied off to the dock. Let me know what you think.