Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have to use up a free week of timeshare soon.
We are looking to go to Arizona. The desert is great, however, I hate to miss any opportunity to sail.
Anyone know of any Hobie Rental operations?
Lake Mead? Lake Havasu? Lake Parker? Lake Anything?
Any friendly Hobie sailors out there want to offer us a ride on a H16 H18 Getaway or similar? We'll miss our own H18 for that week.

email me at lunnjohn at magma dot ca please

check us out at www.kanatasailingclub dot com

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There isn't any rentals that I'm aware of in the Phoenix area. Lake Pleasant has the most consistent winds although I can't recommend that lake due to the unpleasant nature of the lake authorities. I noticed that the local fleet moved all their events to Roosevelt Lake and then read online how a fledgling windsurfing group was boycotting the lake because the county won't let them meet up and windsurf unless they have insurance and a permit etc. Apparently posting friendly get-togethers constitutes a "sanctioned event".

Roosevelt Lake is a long way to go for inconsistent winds so after many trips of dissapointment I moved my Hobie down to Puerto Penasco Mexico. It's less than 4 hours from the valley and has great sailing almost year round. The water is relatively flat, plenty of beach area to launch, and the winds are fairly consistent from light to challenging sailing. The best months are mid-September til December and again from March through May. The water stays warm all the way through Thanksgiving weekend and only a light wetsuit is needed in the cooler months.

Since you have a timeshare, you might look to the Mayan Palace for trading your weeks. It's about 26 miles outside the town of Puerto Penasco but a nice quiet area.

I rented my old 16 a few years ago with good results and I might be tempted to rent my 18 to an experienced sailor. Of course, if I'm going to be down there anyway you are always welcome to come sail it whenever you like.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, Mexico is only four hours away!
Maybe we'll try Penasco. I like the idea of trying for a timeshare there, then possibly renting a H18, if we can get things to work. (I teach Hobie sailing at our club - check us out at http://www.kanatasailingclub.com )

Please email off line me at your convenience lunnjohn at magma dot ca

Only four more weeks of sailing here, and we're done for the season.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Little over 3 hrs if you drive like me LOL.

Best times in Rocky Point are now through the end of November, then again March- May. It gets a little chilly Dec-Feb but maybe not for you.

If you stay at the Mayan my brother has property just a few miles on the way at the beach so if I'm there come on down and sail away.

Check www.rockypointonlineinfo.com for more Puerto Penasco stuff.

I'll shoot you an email.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ever thought about renting your 18?

I live in Tempe and am thinking about going to Rocky Point the 6th, 7th and 8th of August to chaparone a group of kids. I'd love to go sailing. If you have a boat already down there in sailable condition, I'd like to rent it or whatever we can figure out. I've sailed Hobie 16's and 14's and rented 30' to 40' sailboats out of Marina Del Rey, CA. (Blue Pacific Boating if you need a reference.)

Thanks

Bart D. Hull
480-452-9208 (Cell)
480-345-7254 (Home)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for this useful forum post! I want to know the list of houses in Arizona which are on sale, please recommend me some reliable websites which can provide some dependable reviews as Luxury Real Estate in Arizona provides.