Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for front & rear hull cradles for trailering my Hobie Tiger.

Have any of you used the Murrays "Universal" hull cradles (catalog p. 55, item D., No. 13-7010) for trailering a Hobie Tiger? If so, were you satisfied & can you recommend them?

The Murrays Universal is advertised as bolting directly to a 2" rectangular cross-beam. That seems easier to mount on a trailer than the Hobie "All Others" (catalog p.35, No. 1624), which is designed to mount on a round Cat Trax axle. To mount them on a trailer, an earlier post suggested mounting half of a pipe on the trailer, then mounting the cradle to the half-pipe.

Of course, good protection for the hulls during loading & transport is most important, along with ruggedness & durability, which might be worth the extra time for installation.

Or, is there an alternative available that is better than either?
(I'd rather go sailing than spend the couple of days it would probably take to build my own!)

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

RCS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 1624 cradles sold through any Hobie dealer fit well to the Tiger hull. They are a universal cradle that you can mount a variety of ways. The Murry cradles I've seen are much thinner and smaller - and sometimes will dig into the side of the hull - check out a pair first before you commit to a style if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Jbernier! A Hobie dealer is getting a set of 48000001 "Custom molded for the H20 hull, fits al Hobies but the Hobie 21/Fox/Tiger...rear cradles include tilt bracket...".

The description proscribes use with the Tiger, but I plan to build up the bottom of the cradle with layers of carpet held by shock cord so that the weight will rest primarily on the bottom of the hulls & cradles, with a small gap or very light contact on the sides. Of course, I will have to slide the rear cradle along the hull from front to rear to make sure that the cradles don't pinch the hulls while sliding the boat on & off the trailer.

I initially rejected the above cradles because the Tiger is excluded in the catalog description, and because they pinch the hulls a bit toward the bottom, so that there is a small gap (~1/8 inch) between the very bottom of the hull and the cradle. I suspect that is the reason why their use is now proscribed for the Tiger; that the pinching either caused the cradles to crack, or worse, made dents in the hulls. I understand that the Tiger was not excluded in previous editions of the Hobie catalog. Also, the dealer says that the above cradles are (or were) used with the Hobie-sponsored Tigers. If anyone knows for certain why theHobie catalog excludes these cradles for use with the Tiger, I'd be interested.

I guess a more elegant modification would be to strip the carpet off the bottom of the cradles, build them up with Bondo (or similar) molded to the shape of the hull, then re-carpet. But, realistically, if the layers of carpet work okay, I'll never take the time to do anything else, except maybe glue the carpet layers on.

So, if anyone can see any flaws in the above approach, please let me know! Otherwise, I'll just tell the forum how it works out.