Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Autopilot?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, Ive got a question for you all. I have been sailing with a one or two person crew on my Hobie 16, but I want to try singlehanding sometime. Is there any one that has rigged up some sort of autopilot so that you can get to the front of the boat or move around to do anything without letting go of the tiller and letting the boat go any-which way? I sail on a pretty big lake, About 4 miles long by 1.5 wide, but Im not going to just leave it on. But I would like something that I could just be able to click on so I could get up and adjust the Jib or get another beer or something. I have a couple ideas but I was just wondering if anybody has tried anything and what has worked and what hasn't. thanks
JRIII

Post subject: move faster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used a bungee around the tiller connecter, at the center of the bar and put the bungee hooks up into the traveler track, or lacing grommets, or whatever would hold it. It really doesn't work for long though with wind and waves constantly working against you. Frankly, it is less of a hassle just to do what needs to be done and get back on course

I suppose that you could look into a cheap auto-helm at a place like Westmarine.com. My buddy used one on his Catalina 22 all the time- but that was so he could set or douse his spinnaker, slice up some cheese and open a box of crackers, open a bottle of wine- you know, stuff that "wet" sailors don't have time for. :roll: It will still set you back a cool $400 + battery or so :shock: That's a lot of beer :lol: Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See the "third hand" on page 33 from the Hobie parts catalog.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/32_33.pdf

Post subject: Aha!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You know, you never see those things when you're looking for them. Looks like a standard pole clip on a cute little setting that fits into the track. Neat 8) I think I'll try it too.

As I said before, this forum always costs me money :lol: