Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've recently purchased an AI (9/3/2007) and I've sailed her a couple of times - fantastic kayak - very fast, very stable. I'm curious if any one in the group has used the AI as I scuba diving platform?; Fitted any extra rigs for diving?; Has any one purchased the anchor trolley manufactured by Hobie?; If so, is the trolley easy to install and use?; As any one towed another kayak?; Any problems doing so?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I snorkle with friends most weeks from our AI's at Molokini. I'm looking forward to diving, but haven't found a buddy to dive with yet. Sailing them is so much fun I'm having trouble getting anyone to do anything but sail. :D

Where do you sail. (probably not near me)

Kayaking Bob
Maui

Post subject: Unfortunatly...no
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ah the tropical Pacific! Alas I live in Michigan. The sailing season will be closing fast (for me it has closed already since transporting my AI on top of my wife's Pontiac Vibe has been anything but fun - I'm saving to purchase a trailer by the spring) :roll: . I plan on sailing the AI primarily in the Great Lakes and using it for wreck dives (over 5000 shipwrecks to see). In the long run this should save me money (and from breathing-in diesel exhaust - I hate "stink boats") since we really take it up the kazoo whenever we charter e.g. about $80/person for a two tank dive in the Straits of Mackinac (which has some of the best shipwrecks in the world :evil: ).

Post subject: towing - I can vouch for
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In younger days, I used to scuba dive down in the keys and I'm thinking the AI would be great for that. In addition to securely anchoring the AI being an absolute first order of priority, I would make darn certain that the sail doesn't unfurl while you are anchored and underwater taking pictures or shooting at some food.... by wrapping a bungee with a ball head on it around the sail...or you could take the sail off and lash it to the AKA. You would not want the unpleasant surprise of surfacing and looking through your dive mask to see your AI vanishing over the horizon unmanned.

As for towing, a couple of weeks ago, I towed a kayak newbie with my AI across the St. Mary's River from Fort Clinch on Amelia Island to Cumberland Island in a swift tidal current. When the wind was cooperating, it was a cinch. neither of us had to pedal. She was in my Outback and pedalled with me when the wind died down but when the wind was just right it pulled her in my Outback quite well.

A couple of years ago, in my 2006 regular Adventure I towed another newbie who got exhausted fighting a 1.3 mph current 3 miles "upstream" to a destination in the Okeefenokee where the group ate lunch and then headed back down stream. I maintained a faster pace towing the woman in a small kayak with my mirage drive than the rest of the group did paddling. I was a hundred yards ahead of the pack most of the time and stopped several times for them to catch up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

denizen wrote:
.... by wrapping a bungee with a ball head on it around the sail...or you could take the sail off and lash it to the AKA.\

I use a ball bungee but took off the ball after the second time with the sail reefed some I was "slapped silly" :shock: by the ball.

I've also towed a bit with the AI. Mostly, you don't even feel something back there, but have had problems with the line hitting, snagging the rudder or rudder assembly. I've been trying to come up with something simple to keep the "tow" line above the rudder assembly without causing the AI too much loss of control by too much pull to the far rear (trouble turning). Any ideas?

Kayaking Bob

P.S. If you have too much "sailing withdrawl" during the winter, come on over and play! Friends and I have 4 AI's between us so there's always room.

Post subject: Re: Unfortunatly...no
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

kayakscuba wrote:
Ah the tropical Pacific! Alas I live in Michigan. The sailing season will be closing fast (for me it has closed already since transporting my AI on top of my wife's Pontiac Vibe has been anything but fun - I'm saving to purchase a trailer by the spring) .

kayakscuba,

I bought a Rack and Roll trailer for my kayaks and am loving it. No more on the roof tricks. They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for.
www.rackandroll.com

I am in Rockford, Il
Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

reconlon wrote:
I've been trying to come up with something simple to keep the "tow" line above the rudder assembly without causing the AI too much loss of control by too much pull to the far rear (trouble turning). Any ideas?

I think a "rescue vest" may be an excellent way to tow. Here's a review of several different models:
http://www.whitewater-rescue.com/suppor ... dstudy.pdf

I've always used a hand held line over the shoulder, but the harness idea gives you both hands free. Sounds like these PFDs have some other nice attributes as well. 8)

Post subject: Lanyards and Towing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice everyone. Concerning the sail becoming unfurled (that is a big concern) a simple lanyard should probably take care of any accidental "sailing". The Rack and Roll appears to be top of the line, unfortunately I'm far too cheap for that. I'm considering purchasing a Castle Craft - http://www.castlecraft.com/kayak_dual.htm.
Concerning towing - I was wondering about fouling the rudder assembly...this is an interesting problem. The idea of using PFDs as towing anchor points might work, but my wife (whom I would be towing in a Hobie Sport) probably would not be comfortable with that. Perhaps attaching the tow line to a padeye along the cockpit rail (port side) might work (it should be high enough to clear the rudder assembly?). Not sure - experiments will need to be conducted.
As far as the techniques of kayak diving I've found this website http://www.kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/topics.htm. It is probably not as comprehensive as Mark Theobold's eBook kayak diving "bible". But hey, its free and I'll probably learn most the techniques via enlightened experimentation anyway. Or is that screw ups :lol: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

kayakscuba,

To tow, I use 20' of 1/4" line tied to each end of the rear crossbar on my AI. The left side is fastend with a carabinier and the right with a quick-release knot. The line is run through the bow handle of the towed boat. This lets me release and recover the line easily.

Unless I'm making sharp turns it does not interfere with the rudder. I considered making a bracket that mounts on the stern to get the line over the rudder but I'm trying to limit the amount of gear, attachments and holes in the boat. A pipe bracket that mounts in the cart holes has worked but it's heavy and takes up space for something I don't use much. I'm also concerned about stress to the plastic in a difficult location to repair.

The line and carabiners are things I'll carry anyway.

Post subject: Towline
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll have to try your rig...thanks!