Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey everyone!

I've finally found a 16 that I think is the right one for me. I'm not sure of the year, but the hulls are solid, the spars are straight, comes witha trailer and beach wheels. It's never seen salt water, but it is dirty as sin because the guy leaves it in the water all summer on a mooring. The jib is missing a few battens. I offered $700, he said $800. This sound like a good buy to you guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:21 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

What year is it? (Look on the transom - the 3rd and 2nd to last digits of the serial # are the model year - if the serial # is engraved on the pylon, it's a '72 or older)

I'd be real careful about a boat that's been kept on a mooring. It could have absorbed a significant amount of water depending on how long it's been there. Not to mention that boats on moorings are never still - they will work themselves to death. I'd look very carefully for fatigue on the rig and the rudder system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, thanks for the advise. I will check the year this weekend, he is supposed to take me out for a sail. I thought it would be wise to try it out and see how tight the whole thing is.

What's a good way to see if this thing has absorbed alot of water? Maybe you could tell me what the gross weight of a 16 should be. I can stop at the scales on the highway and weigh it. Just a thought

Thanks again for the quick response

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

New ones are ~320; I think mine is ~350lbs. You probably wouldn't want one that's much more than that.

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I went and sailed this 16 today, seemed pretty solid. I checked the date and the last 3 digits of the serial number are 80L. I guess this means it was made in december of 1980, which is a strange coincidence since I was made in december of 1980 as well :D . There are no soft spots on either hull, the sails are in great shape (jib is missing a couple battens though). So I talked him down to $500 and bought it on the spot.

Then I remembered what you all said about the weight. The two of us carried it from the lake through his back yard to the trailer, so I would guess it can't be much more than 300 lbs. Hopefully I got a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's great, man! Congrats on your purchase. You can get a set of (non class-legal) jib battens pretty cheap from Murray's. I'd also recommend getting the end caps for them. Also, don't silicone them on because they'll pull out, use some epoxy. :)

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took the 16 out in the big ocean for the first time yesterday. What a difference, it's like being on a rocket ship compared to the 14. Especially in light air (under 15kts). And finally I can tack with no problems.

One question I do have. Why do my rudders humm and vibrate. It sounds like a couple of whales mating whenever I get it up to speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:39 am 
Hobie Approved Guru