Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

I've been reading about the AI for a few weeks and learned about the AI after seeing a guy with a decked out fishing kayak with foot pedals, fish finder and all kinds of gear. After looking it up on the Hobie website The Adventure Island with the sailing capabilities caught my eye. And I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

So after work tonight, I picked up my AI at the dealer and got a quick intro how to use everything on the boat. We tied it down to my truck with a hitch extender and I picked up the wife and rode over to the causeway. The ease of putting it together was better than expected. It was a piece of cake. The one thing I screwed up was the furling line and it took awhile but I eventually straightened that out after I paddled out into some water where I could adjust things like the seat and lines. It's a good thing I figured it out in the water because if I tried to sail into the beach I wouldn't have been able to roll the sails up and that would have been a comical site I'm sure.

The pedals worked beautiful. Easy to use and very powerful. After I got the sails working correctly, I caught some wind and off I went. What a blast. I wasn't good at reading the wind but did some experimenting and had no problem navigating where I needed to go. I had confidence because of the pedals and paddle backup. No worries.

I was only out for about 45 minutes because it looked like a storm coming but tomorrow morning I'll try it again.

I have a 2008 model and the one thing I'm a little nervous about is the new 2008 latch for the mast seems loose. I worry that the mast may fall out because before launching I yanked on it and it came out once. Kind of like the latch didn't have enough tension.

The seat was kind of a pain but I probably just need to adjust it better.. It kept slipping out of the pegs and wasn't comfortable with the lifevest I bought.

But all in all it was a great experience and my first time ever sailing by myself. My wife took this picture.

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations on your new AI. You will just enjoy it more and more each time you sail it. If you don't want to buy another one or be left on the beach, keep your wife on the camera and off the AI. :wink:
Welcome to the AI grinning owners club.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

By the way, she does a great job with the camera. Very nice photo!
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wcvette

Are you seening oblong wear at aka / ama pin connection??

Have you traveled from the delta to loon lake...Ive' noticed with a change in elevation the amas need to be vented on the return trip to sac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes to the oblong wear. The last I heard about that was it was normal and hardened the area. Then some said they were looking for a bushing for the ends. Sailing in the delta with the constant chop and wakes accelerated the wear on mine. As to venting, I always loosen the drain plugs because they are pretty air tight. Not just altitude but going from 60 degree water to 90 degree air causes a pressure change. I treat them like an inflatable boat. The kayak is not air tight so no problem there. You ever take yours to Woodward Res.? I take the AI and my Getaway over there often.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the welcome Bill,

I went out again today and had the routine down a little better sailing the north span of Tampa Bay and back. That was a kick ass experience and the boat paid for itself today. Finally some annoying tropical weather got me off the water but for a couple hours I was able to learn sailing pretty decent. It sure scoots along ... especially with them pedals.

In the past I had several power boats so I can appreciate the simplicity of these ... no motors, no insurance, registrations, boat storage, maintenance, gas, no dodging the occasional clowns at boat landings, and no more avoiding the shallow areas which are quite common around here.

I'm still not crazy about the seat though. Is there an alternative seat available? At least I came to terms with it today and it wasn't too bad after tying off one of the sides that kept slipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You are finding some of the annoying weak spots early. The seat back straps slip so some of the guys have sewn Velcro on the loose strap and the area they want the adjustment. I tend to sail as fast as possible and find I am pushing the seat corners trying to "hike" out. I only notice the seat back when no wind and peddling. I was thinking if I was the only one using the backrest I could put brass snaps at my spot.
Keep sailing, Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wcvette

If the hole enlarges it will crack thru. Then to the welder to fill the hole and
re-drill. I used to work in Oakdale LA. But I have not seen Woodward Reservoir. Often up 80. I will look at the lake map book. It does seem as if the speed increases riding on the chop at the down wind end of a lake. I do like Loon Lake best....sure is a long drive. I do not have GPS...so 7-11mph with 15-20 knot wind...unless there is more in the wave up to 13?? slow peddling in waves " seems " to add ...these are questions. I have read the Forum about speeds.. but without the gps and no known reference... have seen those charts. Still looking for information...Very stable sail area...the more experience increases the slower it seems. Thats why I'am asking speed #'s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a Garmin 305 wrist mount GPS. Super item, even has heart rate monitor if you want to workout. Best I have seen in the Delta is about 11mph. But that is with 260# in drivers seat. The wind was 20+ a very wet rough ride. I haven't heard of any of those connections wearing through or breaking. I have broke a couple of the connections at the shear bolts, not the shear bolt, and lost the connecting arm.
Bill/wcvette/mnu2hobee
Never used this computer for this forum and find it auto signed on with that old nic. Yeah, 2 years ago I was new to Hobie's, now I have 6 hobiecats and 2 adventure kayaks. Never too much of a good thing. (Don't ask my wife!)
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

wcvette

If I can talk my wife into it we are to try Woodward Res. today cause of the weather...Hope the level is ok and winds in the ballpark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Woodward area site says 10-12 mph and 75degrees. Son's birthday so can't go myself.
Woodward doesn't charge for the AI, no CF #. $8 day use + $7 to launch Getaway. I take both and have a great day for $15.
Maybe can coordinate an outing with some other AIs in the area.
Hope you have a great day.
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

wcvett

The day was great...wind was steady and I thought higher than 12. The AI visted all areas in good time. Three or four kite boards.. two sail boards. Able to keep time with the sail boards..when peddling. after 5pm the wind slowed..AI kept going... more enjoyment. The spray declined. The drive was soooo long back to Lincoln. At Woodward lanching, landing parking, all perfect..the shallow shore line was not muddy and great for landings. Wife still prefers paddling.. enjoyed the variety of brids near the islands and gaggles in the air. I will visit again after resting from Hy 99.
Once off Hy99 all driving was plesant. The steady wind was the best I've experienced. I saw a Cat leaving but not on the water. I live near Camp Far West... at the onset of the season the water is high...wind is low. Woodward water level was just right..wind made waves the same...Thanks
for the tip. I would like the outing. Rio Dan has posted the 13th at Sandy Beach...I'am not sure of the river water... I'll have to pass on that one.
Have you tried the Rio Vista area? I did look for a Woodward internet site that would post wind speed no luck..can you post back with the site or is the wind most always the same? I would go right back next Sunday except I do not know if I can convince my wife to endure the drive as she
is not to interested in the sail. Thats the part I like best. Sat. we may go to SF for the day..The season is drawing to a close..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kepra wrote:
... Rio Dan has posted the 13th at Sandy Beach...I'am not sure of the river water... I'll have to pass on that one.
Have you tried the Rio Vista area? ...

Kepra, you have to come. I've sailed Woodward many times. I've hosted a few regattas there. The Sacramento river near Rio Vista has very similar conditions. The water near Rio is warm and very nearly fresh. This summer has been more breasier than usual but the winds tend to taper off in October. Yesterday was perfect conditions. We sailed with fully unfurled sails all day. There will be at least four AI's there on the 13th, hopefully a lot more.