Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TX- Lake Ray Hubbard
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone suggest the best place to launch a cat on Lake Ray Hubbard and also the best place to beach? They do not have to be the same.
THanks
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ray Hubbard is a bad lake for cat launching... All the ramps are surrounded by rip rap for erosion control, so you can't really beach the boat to raise the sails. That means finding a ramp pointed the right direction so that you can raise the sail on the ramp...

I'm not aware of such a ramp.

- There are two ramps at Roberston Park (Dalrock Rd exit). The eastern one is the most protected. The western one sucks. But no beaches at all. The entire point is rip rap.
- Terry Park in Heath has a ramp - totally exposed to south winds. Sucks. But it has a nice sandy beach on the north facing shore.
- Windsurf Bay has great beaches for landing, but no boat ramp. Don't get caught backing your trailer into the water there.

These parks are all south of I-30. There are probably places to launch north of the interstate, but I've never explored them. There's just too many stumps north of 30.

This is unfortunate because Ray Hubbard is a good sailing lake. The long fetch makes for clear winds in the main body of the lake. So while it has launching difficulties, I think you'll enjoy sailing there.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Brian
Is the eastern ramp near the marina? I have never seen it.
Do you think it would be possible for me to put my cat on beach wheels or use a trailer dolly to launch my boat at windsurf bay?
I hope to make good use of the winds forecasted for this weekend.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cdenton wrote:
Thanks Brian
Is the eastern ramp near the marina? I have never seen it.

The eastern ramp is where the Texas Queen used to dock. After you enter the park, turn left at the T, then take the first left towards the ramp. It's kind of in a cove, and draws protect from the breakwater that Bay View Marina put in. It's right at the end of Cooke Dr (yes, everything is called Cooke Dr). There is not a public ramp from the Marina parking area. Here's an aerial:

http://tinyurl.com/2jjbew

Quote:
Do you think it would be possible for me to put my cat on beach wheels or use a trailer dolly to launch my boat at windsurf bay?
I hope to make good use of the winds forecasted for this weekend.

Chris

The problem with launching at Windsurfing Bay is the bollards that separate the parking lot from the shoreline. I don't think there's anyplace wide enough to roll a cat down without some heavy lifting. But yes... If you can find a place to do it, I think it would be cool. The cops just don't want to see a trailer down on the waterline.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The east ramp looks much better than the west. I think we will launch there and head to windsurf bay for the day. I also noticed Rush Creek Yacht club, but that is much farther from my house and I suspect there is a substantial price to pay for the membership.

Brian
If you can comment on my other thread I would appreciate it.
[url]http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=38916#38916
[/url]
Thanks
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cdenton wrote:
The east ramp looks much better than the west. I think we will launch there and head to windsurf bay for the day. I also noticed Rush Creek Yacht club, but that is much farther from my house and I suspect there is a substantial price to pay for the membership.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Quote:
Brian
If you can comment on my other thread I would appreciate it.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=38916#38916
Thanks
Chris

Let me take a look. I'll reply over there if I have something to add.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just thought that I would give an update on my first sail here at Ray Hubbard.
We launched at Dalrock on the East side with winds primarily from the south. There was plenty of room to raise the mast etc above the ramp. We launched the boat with the jib furled and the main down. Since the ramp is in a hole the wind is fairly subdued at the launch which is super convenient. All in all I would say that it was very smooth and should be very good for winds from the N. or S.
We beached at windsurf park further southeast of where all of the windsurfers were so we could stay out of their way. The beach is mainly sand with some pea gravel. This was really nice.
I would recommend this to anyone who wishes to sail and beach at Ray Hubbard.
The winds were 12-15
Thanks for everyones help
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wondered if that was you (blue sail 18 ). I was the windsurfer with the orange trimmed sail that was chasing you down (til the wind died).

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That was us. You were pretty close when the wind died, but not close enough for me to tell it was you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah... I rigged a bit optimistically. I did sail all the way to the east shore, touched bottom, then headed back. It was a long trip back. I should have been on my Formula board with a bigger sail.

Of course, if I lost 15 lbs like I need to I wouldn't need a bigger sail.

Brian C