Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder pin bushings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought some rudder bushings that fit in the rudder castings.It says to drill the hole out to 7/16(in the rudder castings).Is there any special drill bit I need ,or anyting else I should know.Any advice would be apprciated

Post subject: Suggest a new drill bit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use a brand new 7/16ths bit- the harder the better. Ask the hardware store person what he suggests. (Don't ask the hardware store guy at a chain store unless he really seems to know what he is doing and is not simply filling in from the plumbing department :wink: )

If you do it by hand just be sure that you lock down the casting securely so that you can control the drill only, not balance the drill in one hand and the casting in the other. You can clamp the casting to a table top and drill horizontally too- this is relatively easy since a table is easier to find than a solid vertical surface to clamp to. TLet the bit do the work, don't force it, keep it spinning from entry to removal. The casting is relatively soft metal and you are only opening the hole about an 1/8th (I think) so it is not that hard to do a good job- the bit will practically guide itself. As I often say- if I can do it, anyone can do it :oops:

Wait till sailing season is over too 8) Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There might be a better way of doing this.... Instead of using bushings, drilling holes for interference fit and trying to keep the bushings in place why not using an oversize pin and just matching the holes? The original pin is something like 9.6 mm. I found an oversize pin in 10.0 mm (also found 10.2 mm aluminum rod), which does the job very well. The drilling of the worn holes is easy. I paid about $4 for about 7 feet of 10 mm aluminum rod. Enough to cut 5 pairs of pins from the material.

Patrick

Post subject: Excellent idea!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that the available nylon pins are oversized too, not sure, but I know that they fit really tight without bushings.

But the real brilliance here is finding readily available material, usually at a hardware store, and using it. For example, I know a sailor who needed a new wooden tiller handle on his antique wooden mono-hull- instead of buying one for a fortune from a marina, he found that axe-handles for about $7 were about the right size and shape- so that has been his tiller handle for the last 20+ years. Oh yeah- his wooden mast rings (that hold the sail to the mast and boom)- they're wooden shower curtain rings :lol:

happy sails to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:59 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
The reason for the bushings is so they wear out not the casting. If you simply get a bigger size pin you will just wear a bigger hole in the casting, then you will have to get a bigger pin and so on. I would recommend drilling out for the bushings, the casting drills very easy!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject: good point
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad- hope the post hurricane clean-up is going well.

Good point on the bushings. Do you use the nylon pins? I used to use them and replace them every other season as they wore out. The advantage over bushings I think is just that there is one less interface and less chance for slop. I used them beach-catting and never broke one off, so I think they're pretty solid too.

Stay cool and remember: at the first sign of a storm- WE SAIL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:19 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
On all of my rental boats I use the fiberglass pins from Hobie. I highly recomend fiberglass pins for recretaion sailing as well. When I race i always use NEW aluminum pins. I don't know why it just something I always do. The fiberglass pins wear out much faster but they are inexpensive and put little wear on the castings. The aluminum pins wear out much slower but they tend to put a little more stess on the castings, nothing to be worried bout tou! I would use eaither type of pin w/o hessitation!