Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone out there sail in the Fenwick Island, DE Ocean City MD area? Where are good places to launch? My work has me in Selbyville probably through fall and its not too long to sailing weather. Years ago I sailed here regularly, but everything's changed! Crowded, too!
Thanks in advance- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Try this thread:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1181&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Also, I don't know the precise location, but on the road between Rehoboth and Ocean City, MD (it may be Dewey Beach) there is a launch onto Rehoboth Bay which is signed as a sailing beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I are looking into doing some sailing/camping weekends on the easternshore this season. If I am going to drive all the way from Annapolis to the coast I want to get the most possible time on the water. If/when I find any good places I will post them here.

From the refercned thread, I have abandond sailing off of Sandy Point. It just became too crowded and the beach's grade was so steep by the end of the season that I could barely pull my boat up to the parking lot on my beach wheels. If it were not for my wife the boat would still be on that beach :). So, now I sail out of my apartment complex. It's not great, but I can launch from my trailer and use the car to do the heavy lifting.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check this link for info on the rehoboth bay sailing association:

http://www.rbsa.org[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I plan on doing a significant ammount of sailing this summer, relitave to last summer. I got out at rehobeth bay sailing assn. once or twice last summer its a nice little place to put out....I'm looking to be crew or for crew this summer, anything to get on the water. I have a CJ5 comming to me so if I get it road legal this summer I should have ocean access!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got back from a week's vacation at the family cottage on the Delaware Bay (Broadkill Beach) and had some stellar sailing days on my Wave. For the first time, I was not the only cat out there - there was another cat on the Bay one or two of the days I was out there. Just curious whether it was any of the folks on this forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not I.......yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, we've got to get you down there!

The other cat looked like a Hobie 17 (though not sure) and he was out on the wings flying a hull high for what seemed like forever. Even on my Wave, with my 10 year old daughter out with me, we were flying a hull pretty darn high - no easy task in a Wave! She's been out with me before, though not in that sort of breeze, and she just LOVED it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Waayyy back in the late 70's and early 80's I used to sail my little Penquin 13 out of Treasure Beach Campground off Rt. 54 when my parents had a place there. We also launched my friends 10' mono (Can't remember brand) bayside off coastal Hwy at a small landing just north of Fenwick Is. I think it's still there. Anyway, I do remember one glaring factor about the upper Assawoman Bay...SEA NETTLES!!!! Loads of them! Extra strength ones too! (Not like the polutioned stricken weaker variety here in the Chesapeake). The later in the Summer oand/or later in the day, the worse it got. Most alway's a nice breeze kicking though!
About ocean side access, unless things have changed, the Delaware Seashore driving tag is for surf fishing only. When we would go on the beach with our Jeeps we would ALWAYS stick a surf rod in the sand to keep Mr. ranger away. I don't know how they would react to towing a cat onto the beach. I would check out Assatigue, they always seemed a little looser AND CHEAPER when it came to vehicle access to the beach.
But then what do I know this is all 20 year old information :lol: .

Post subject: 19731
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

High Tide @ Augustine beach DE 19731. In the back ground. The Salem Nuclear Power Plant located in Lower Alloways Creek Township, New Jersey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We're going on a camping trip with friends on the weekend of Oct. 20 at Frontier Town just south of O.C. They are supposed to have a ramp but I'm not familiar with the ramp OR the Sineputuxent bay, I guess it can't be much different from the Assowoman to the north (shallow and full of sea nettles). Thinking about towing the cat along and trying it out...if the weather holds up that is. Anyone know of this area?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gentlemen,

After kicking around the NJ/Maryland area for 20+ years I have final found my ideal launch!!! ROCK HALL YACHT CLUB

I've sailed in OC Maryland (does anyone remember Peck Miller, and the beach series?) Unfortunately all the beach access points have been sold and "CONDOS" built. (don't even ask about my opinion of $$$ and the lack of PUBLIC access). I have even launched out of Fortisque NJ on Delaware Bay one time, (get out of town by sundown or you WILL need a blood transfusion). I've tried most of the "parks" on the northern Chesapeak including Matapeak on Kent Island.

Then I went to a "open event" at Rock Hall Yacht Club ....
They have a beautiful facility, w/ a resterant& bar, bath house (w/OUTSIDE showers), a SWIMMING POOL , a launch beach, on 14 acres of land. If you are already a member of a YC you already have RECIPRACITY RIGHTS and can visit . Oh, they allow camping on the property by members!!!! and quests.

This year there will be (2) events that are open to the public cat sailors. On June 14-15 is the Annual One-Design Regetta, that will be run under a "OPEN Class/Portsmouth" Format. On Sept 27-28 we will be hosting a Hobie Points Regetta, ( we are thinking PIGROAST for Sat dinner!!!)

RHYC is located approx (1) hour from the "Bay Bridge" on the Chester River on the approachs to Langford Cove. There is very little power boat traffic (unlike Middle River) and they are courtious/respectful of sailors.

The membership fees are VERY reasonable: $350/yr for singles , $550/yr for families. We encourage families with children to come and use the facilities, we even have a few Sunfish "loaner" boats for novices to use. And (friendly) dogs are welcome also! (can we say Labador ...) And Chuck Parry runs an excellent sailing school wih programs for children and adults on site.

We are looking for friendly people who sail or motor to join us in "our little piece of Heaven". For more imformation and directions: WWW.rockhallyc.org. or contact me. My E-mail address is listed in my profiles on Hobiecat forum and Catsailor Forum, feel free to contact me and be my quest at RHYC.

Sail Flat, Sail Fast

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject: Correction: Wrong Date
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I posted the wrong dates for the Annual One-Design Regetta in June at Rock Hall YC. The correct dates are June 21st and 22nd

And it still will be a great time.

Sail Flat, Sail Fast
Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Harry,
This sounds very appealing. We plan on sailing the gelcoat off our H16 this year due to me being promoted to a position that releases me from the rotating shifts I've been working since 1986. YEA!!!! Weekends and Holidays off! :D I'll have to check out the clubs site a little further from my work computer due to this home computer crippling along the dial-up line :evil: . (This WILL be rectified SHORTLY!).

A quick glance at the club looks VERY interesting. Didn't see any cats on the pictures but I also didn't look at too many pages. How receptive are these people to catamarans?

My wife and myself have a 1981 H16. Our boat is in GREAT condition but it's non-comp tip (I'm NOT cutting a perfectly good mast for ANY reason). Also we have (and plan to add) different things that would disqualify us from an official Hobie race (Mesh tramp, metal tiller, etc.). Are there any events a rogue vessel such as ours could be a part of?

Right now it's just me and wife, we have only launched out by Heart-Miller at my cousins. We then sail by ourselves and also give rides. This upcomming year we were planning trailering around to different places, camping and sailing. Your Yacht Club looks fun. We could actually associate with other sailers!

How is the water there? Ceanliness? Sea nettles? Any fisteria (sp?) problems?

Accomodations: RV hook ups? Tenting? Would a lovable very shy 10 year old Weimeranner be welcomed? (We'd only bring him with the RV, he is VERY pampered and needs his air conditioning!).

I guess I should look at the site more before I ask all these questions, so for now your club might have 2 potential new members.

Post subject: Questions Answered
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mr Swamp,

So you live in Pasedena Md. Is your cousins on Middle River or the Back River? I've launched out of that area from several places over the years, alot of powerboat traffic on the weekends.

Pasedena Md you say, I do like the Fried Chicken take-out at ANGELS, Cookie's for Sunday Brunch, and if you want block ice (for the beer) you have to go to FISHBONE'S ... Ya I've been there .... alot!!!! Several good friends have some property in the area.

The pictures on the website are several years old. Several of us Catamaran Sailors joined RHYC last year after attending their "Annual One-Design" Regetta held in June for severals years. They have made us feel like we are part of the family. The event in June is run under a "Open Class" format so you basically "run what you brung" using a handicap system. The Hobie Points Regetta is run as on a "One-Design" format. But you are allowed one regetta with a "all aluminum stick" and if you are running in H-16B Fleet usually no-one bothers with you, ....But???(it only takes one sea lawyer) Hobie makes and sells mesh tramps and I know of no rule against a metal tiller stick, I prefer/use a carbon "HotStick" because I've bent several metal ones before converting to a "HotStick".

For any of the events Tent camping and RV camping are allowed, now if you wish to plug your RV in there maybe a small fee for the weekend
( they are currently developing a policy as the club is installing expanded elect service on the property this year). On Non-event weekends technically there is only tent camping allowed, currently we are trying to get that rule changed. But there are several campgrounds in the area I'm told. (I'm a tent camper)

Dogs are welcome as long as they are friendly, good with children, and good with other dogs. Alot of the members have dogs, Labs, Spanish Water Dog, Chessies .. etc (Hunting dogs are very popular!!!) There is a "local lab" called "Sgt' that comes over every day to play !!!!

My E-mail is listed in my profile, so if you wish to cotact me thats the best as I check that usually once a day.

Harry

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11