Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sailed in low wind with a friend of mine in the back. I am 195 and she is 120. She was sitting in a few inches of water because I did not put in the scupper stoppers where the cart goes.

Curious to know others' experiences with two people: do the scupper stoppers keep water out? Anyone devise a second seat for the rear passenger? I am sure now that i have bought two AI's that soon there will be a two seater AI that will be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We take our kids out all the time. We swap front and "back seat" depending on who wants to drive.

The most weight we've ever had in one was about 400 lbs ( my daughter and her 260 lb. boyfriend). That was mighty low in the water.

The scupper plugs wont add any flotation. They will only keep water from draining out of the cargo/backseat area. Once water comes over the gunnels that's it, your wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife rides in the cargo area on short trips, say 2 miles each way. Usually this is to a spot where we dig clams. I weigh 210; she weighs 105. There's never been enough wind on these days to sail but it's been an easy trip.

The last time coming back she sat in front of the mast to help balance the weight of the clams (about 12 gallons with shells - at least 50 lbs).

The boat has always handled well. This Sunday's forecast has sustained winds of 8 to 10 knots. She wants to learn to sail. Thank you Hobie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My girlfriend (125) and I (230) have sailed off west Maui, she sits in front of me and the Hobie moves pretty well but we take a lot of water over the bow, a very wet ride. When is Hobie going to annouce the tandam AI?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and I went out on Lake Michigan in early September with swells at about 3ft and wind was about 30 mph. My wife sat in the stern cargo area while under sail (she sat on a flotation cushion underneath the bungie straps, no not her butt). The boat handled well and since we are both small people (I'm 5'3" and my wife is 5'0") we weren't much passed the water line. However, when we were on a broad reach with the swells behinds we had some serious pooping - waves breaking into the cockpit over the stern. My poor wife got drenched and almost floated off! Next time under similar conditions I'll reef the sail - we're lucky we didn't pitch-pole (stern section being thrown beyond the perpendicular resulting in a capsize).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife has been going with me in the stern of our AI and she loves it. The other day we did a sunset sail in the Gulf of Mexico and words didn't describe the wonderful experience. She was just sitting on a towel and it was a little uncomfortable but not too bad.

So I bought and installed a seat for her in the back. She will sit back to back with me but will be able to stretch out her legs and not worry about getting knocked off by the sail. The seat kind of forms around her body which makes it more secure ... more safe for taking kids too. I purchased the seat (without those bottom pegs) at my local Hobie dealer. Just check the area when you drill the holes to mount the snap cleats to make sure the rudder lines aren't in the way. The Hobie dealer sells the snap cleats for a buck.

I also bought LED waterproof nav lights and an anchor light so I can take it out at night. I love boating in the Gulf or inlets at night around here.

Here's some pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fl. Robot
Nice backseat :) I like the lights as well. Do you have an anchor? I am wanting to do some sailing around the several metro areas here and get some pictures of the city lights reflecting off the water.

I haven't made any reservations for my Fl. trip yet. My computer crashed so I had to bit the bullet and get a new one. Lost all my links and am still installing stuff onto this one. Getting a new computer is like getting a brain transplant. You have to start all over.

gwiz

Post subject: I like those lights
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where did you find the LED nav lights? I don't think I've seen them before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good luck getting your computer back together gwiz. I feel your pain. Attached is a picture of my anchor setup. A guy I know rigs his like that so I thought I'd try it. You attach the line a little different with breakaway twist ties that change the pull angle if the anchor gets stuck on the bottom. It's mostly sand around here so not usually a problem.

On those LED lights, I got them at the Hobie dealer. They're actually 2 separate lights that hang from the bow with a caribiner. I also hang them on the end of the kayak when it's on my truck at night as the kayak hangs out quite a bit with the hitch extender. They're called Lazer stik's. The website is
http://www.essentialgear.com/Safety-&-R ... _info.html . They also can blink.

Post subject: nav lights
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered them from kayak fishing stuff.com. There is a stern light as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good luck getting your computer back together gwiz. I feel your pain. The worst part has to be the new Windows Vista. It won't let you do anything without going through about 7 layers of just who are you and why do you think you should be allowed to do this, only to wind up being told access denied.

There doesn't seem to be any way around it. It is a real pain, create a new folder and your not allowed to put anything in it. Try to give up and delete it, No Way that one will get you reported directly to Bill Gates.

I keep trying to find some settings that I can change but all I get is how wonderful the new windows is at protecting my computer, Yea from me. I may well be my computer's worst enemy but I am also the guy who paid for it so that should give me a few rights one would think.

Thank God I didn't heed Windows advice and make everything password protected. I swear Windows gets more arrogant with each new release, its enough to make you get a Mac.
gwiz

Post subject: vista
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea, I agree, Vista is the worst operating system yet. I was going to make the switch back to be Mac but got cheap at the last minute, what a mistake. Vista will boost Apple's sales
Vista make these little issues with the AI pretty insignificant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:23 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Checkout Leopard at:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Maybe you can find a Gates freak willing to buy your Vista system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your talking about Mac's and I just had to jump in here.
I have been using a Mac since April 1984, about 2 months after they came out. I used windoz at work and hated it.

A while back I found out that IBM is short for "I Bought Macintosh".

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Reminds me of a review I read several years ago when Microsoft had just released NT. The reviewer compared the two OSs' with an airline analogy.

He said with Mac's you walk up to the counter hand over your luggage to a well appointed and attractive crew, board the plane and arrive at safely at your destination in short order.

With Windows the experience is similar until it comes time to board the plane. The crew plunk you down in the middle of the runway and then run around flapping their arms while making wooshing noises. Your never going anywhere nor will you ever see your luggage again.

gwiz