Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sidekicks for a Maui
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Group! I bought a Maui and I'm finding it does a little of everything but now following long established protocol must modify it! Does anyone know if the hobie sidekicks in there most down position will allow me to carry more weight in the tankwell/stern area? I want to try securing a 60 lb marine battery in the tankwell (behind the seat) and run a 25 lb minn kota electric motor off the stern. I'm 220 lbs and without scupper plugs have 2 inches of water in the cockpit even when I'm out without the hobie seat. As you know the Maui is rated for 325 lb capacity (I think thats over and above the hull weight). So I'm trying to increase the bouyancy (and hopefully weight carrying capacity) for the Maui via the sidekicks-will it work..can outriggers be used to increase weight carrying capacity? I'm in very slow moving river country and will be close to shore...oh and I can swim! Last does anyone know the drill size you use to install the well nuts and what they should be torqued to? Thanks for all the great ideas I have read on this forum-I look forward to other kayaks! gw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi gw,

It looks as if they would add some buoyancy, but there may be a couple of drawbacks. If riding significantly in the water, they would likely add substantial drag. If you're having to mount with the well nuts (rather than through bolts) the upward pressure in chop and speed might rip the assembly out.

If you try it, send some pics of your rig and let us know how it turns out! 8)

Post subject: Sidekicks for a Maui
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner I think your right about the ama drag because of the additional weight. So now looking into making amas from possibly a foam product that will have (possibly) less drag and hopefully be of design interest. Maybe I can attach them to the hobie aka. With that in mind I think I will go ahead and buy the hobie sidekicks and see how they work for this project (battery in tankwell and minn kota off the stern as power source and rudder). I need to loosen up my money belt anyway-spend some money-this could be a start! I have been studying every small boat ama/aka I can find on the net and like the hobie aka design the best by far. Should be fun to try and make my own amas (slowly). Having no experience in foam fabrication or fiberglassing this should be something not viewed by the general public! I will post pics if it happens-thanks for the input! gw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:09 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you do a search under Apalach, he has made a nice set set of amas out of lobster pods, using PVC for akas -- completely adjustable. This should give you some additional ideas. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

GW

I do mount a 30lb trolling & wheelchair sealed battery ...little less weight 40 more $...in a SOT Wilderness 15'... I have the motor thru front scupper hole.... where Hobbie pedals are..cut the shaft and wires ..use rubber mounting for re-attachment & trailer electrical plugs + kill sw ....add a Wildwasser front mounted sail and you'll cruise that river...motor can be cut short with 10-12" hanging underneath..rudder is best... with kneepads and small innertube.. secure battery in a balanced storage location...drawback is staying in 15" of water...boat is light I have a lot of use at the river....... battery is heavy..motor also ...sidemounting is fast you may still wish to cut that motor shaft. mount those sidekicks sturdy. Anyway post your progress cause I like to see other kayaks with motors...All that water in your seat try a sponge

Last edited by kepra on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

kepra wrote:
GW...Put the motor thru front scupper hole where Hobbie pedals are..

I don't think the Maui is a pedaling kayak, so it wouldn't have a drivewell to mount the motor through. That's a great point though about using the battery to balance the weight of the motor. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Kepra and thanks for the ideas. I am looking forward to owning the Adventure one day (tried it and loved it) so will keep them in mind. I bought the Maui because it fits inside the van which gets me on the river (the Feather River) quite a bit. I have heard about a wheelchair battery that is a good fit for the Minn Kota but so far haven't found it (Sears?). Do you happen to have the numbers/type of battery and I will go buy one and start putting this contraption together. The first prototype will be pvc outriggers with pool noodles attached to it (just saw it on the net-the guys comments indicated he has used it for 6 years-the pool noodles are strapped right to 1 inch pvc in the position of a typical outrigger). Once I experiment and find that it will work I can get the hobie sidekick and use the bars from it. I happen to have pvc lying around collecting dust so will try. I also had decided on a 30lb thrust but have already forgotten why (maybe more run time with the smaller battery). I'm sure we would all like to hear your experiences using a battery and motor in a kayak. Speed? How long does the battery last? How are you charging it? How does it handle in waves or in a turn? Does it feel secure? Do you use outriggers? If not what happens when you turn? Yes a motor and a sail rig sounds great. I thought I'd get a small V sail so I could motor and find the down wind and learn to sail then move up to a bigger sail rig (hobie's small sail looks perfect...maybe the one from the hobie inflatable kayak) doesn't seem to need much of a mast step with the guide lines and the Maui doesn't have one yet). Thanks, gw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Battery supply shop in your area will have a one. Recharge right after use
2-4 hrs of run time based on speed # at 2-5mph. wildwasser sail will allow you up-wind... in conjuction with rudder.. motor rotation. It will be great on a slower river. If I knew how I would try to post pictures. When you goggle kayak motors you will see several. It will be fun to add and use. This season I have the AI & have used motor only a few times in early May...I have no Amas on my kayak but sure is a great feature for balance..I have not tried the motor on a hobie... the wilderness sucpper hole fits motor shaft. You will see some mounted on milk crates which is secure & fast..I will try to mount motor on the AI ... may use a spare
drivewell plug filled with something ? not sure yet ..& some of my current rubber mounting components I'm 175 plus the extras...once the motor is on the kayak you have to use it. It's a clear day Sat. so got to check the wind chart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey GW,
Several options now along with the Sidekicks--but DIY was the only thing available several years ago. Here was my solution.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... rs+outback

Here are a few pics:

Post subject: Maui outriggers
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Roadrunner, Kepra and Apalach for your help with my Maui outriggers and running gear. Now I'm thinking Apalach's lobster buoys will make a great ama for the Maui at least until I feel good about fiberglassing foam (glassing foam is something I want to learn how to do well). I think the lobster buoys will be more bouyant and create less drag than than the pool noodles-course they won't be as cute (lol). I will post some pics hopefully within 2 weeks to show you where the project stands! gw