Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:39 pm 
Hobie Team Member

aloha i was interested in an other yakers who are maybe using a modified greenstick & bird technique. I am thinking about running one on the hobie AI as these achieve fast trolling speeds. I will use just one line and pole. thinking about my 11 foot beach ulua pole. my bird will be something semi heavy and splashy with hooks. just cant see dragging something without hooks. the AI'S go fast enough to make most lure dance the surface. I will use three squid jigs. I will go to the foot ball field and dragg out a set amont of line to determine squid leader lengths. i think this will work good. it will be odd to fight a fish from the yak with an 11 foot pole but i think it can be done. i will probably handline the fish the rest of the way into the boat. any suggestions would be great and aloha dan i know you have had some success with this. how are things going dan. does this rig work for mahi and ono as well as tuna.. any input would be great mahalo Boogie-D Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:07 am 
Hobie Team Member

Your on the right track.

See discussions on Fishing Under Sail. Lots of info there.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4855

I couldn't quite pull the green stick off using the old 20 ft sq sail. Looking fwd to the AI 60 sq ft speed increase.

I still think you need 2 line rig. From seeing the effect of a dancing squid in the air while fishing with my commercial neighbor it beat to hell lures in the water (which work-just not as good)

You'll need at least 50 lb test for the rod hookup . Something so the line won't break while the fish drags the yak.

The first line is to the bird, tube, planner boar,or device. You use it to hang the squid lures off.

According to my neighbor the ahi hit the first squid 60 % of the time. That's my rod rig. The others are "dummies" dangling form the bird line on 4lb test.

Note the bird, or what ever you use has to hold the main line taught. Problem is to get it out to the side so you can see it. Seeing those monsters rise out of the water is the largest thrill anyway.

If you come up with a planner board design that runs abeam or close to it, please post ASAP!!

Take a look at what I posted before.

Your ahead of me with speed potential. . My AI conversion kit won't be here until November 11th.

Post subject: aloha Dan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:48 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Ill be in kona the friday of the yak attack contest and stay till monday morning. your going to love your hobie AI they are the future of kayaking. they are going to let me sail the hobi AI in the yak attack. on the green stick I am staying with one line 100lb braided power pro to the biggest fattest heaviest top water poper i can find. i just cant drag something with out hooks. no planner to the left i dont need to see the hit as long as they hit. i will work on my squid spacing in a field till i get it right. dude these hobie AIs in wind haul ass. i think this rig will work fine due to the fact that i can easily do 8-10 nots in wind. the popper will keep the line tight. the squids will dangle and the all the squid will all have hooks. what about the other 40 percent that hit the others squids. everything must have a hook. my 11 foot ulua pole will give me the elevation i need. dan do ono and mahi hit this rig or is it mostly tuna. I will try this soon and let you know how it works. aloha tight lines and screennin reels. Boogie-d Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:17 am 
Hobie Team Member

Man I would be careful trolling that rig.

Here's a true story about a commercial guy. What he calls a religious experience.

He pulls (winches with 1000 lb test) his ahi to the boat pretty fast. Takes a wrap on the leader to hoist 'em in. Next thing he knows he's in the drink being pulled 20 feet under water.

His fish he brought to the boat hit the next to last squid.

The last squid was still in the water as he pulled the fish in. A second ahi hit the last squid as he prepared to hoist in the first. These are 100-200 lb wild animals. Didn't take much to drag him under. He was lucky. 20 feet down somehow he got his hand unwrapped.

He figured being that lucky he could make it back to the top. He did.

don't need to see the hit as long as they hit

I was with the guy above on a different trip and saw a hit. Unbelievable experience. Figure out a way to see, otherwise your missing a major thrill.. If you don't use a planner, can you sit sideways? Biggest weakness in kayak fishing IMHO is difficulty seeing aft, with forced natural view forward..

Be interesting to see (assuming you take my advice on the one hook only) if you pickup something with the line to the popper wrapping around the fish and main line (not sure if I made that clear).

I should have my AI ready by the tourney, which I probably won't enter, as previously mentioned. However, if you want to fish together I'd be privileged to learn from someone that has used the AI for catching pelagics.

Wind will probably be light on the Kona side, heavy at South Point or north at Mahu Kona. For the later given the AI speed may be able to launch from Kawaihae and sail to Mahu Kona without suffering horrible launch conditions there for a trimiran yak. About a 24 mile round trip .

If my buddy is back may be worth our while to try for the porposie schools. That's a BIG IF, but what most guys that fish green stick look for. Even with the AI we would still have to launch from the right spot and hope the school didn't move too far from last known position.

If you want to win the tourney, I'd put my money on South Point.

Post subject: something to think about
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:18 am 
Hobie Team Member

good story dan i see about only one hook in the main squid. does this rig work on mahi and ono or just tuna. my green stick will only be one line one pole straight to popper and squid an all in one unit. It would be great to fish with you dan. we are planning a magor run for over there weather permitting. we want to launch waipio and land keakeo day one. day two launch keakeo and land mahukona. alternative would be leave keakeo to mahu kona day 1 mahukona to kawaihae day 2. if the waves and wind is to much we will make othe plans. maybe captain cooks bay to kona. we will rent a van and camp and try to fish the best spot. we should have a driver. my partner is comming with me and my girlfriend. i wont use my green stick in hawaii cause i dont have it made yet and the pole is to long to take. south point is such a long way to the weigh in station. we will want to find fresh opelu for our two day stay and enough for two guys. Ill post more later. so does the above rig only work on tuna . what about mahi and ono jumping for suid. Aloha Boogie-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:35 am 
Hobie Team Member

Sounds like a great trip. Keep in touch.

Mahi should hit it.

I suspect an ono might also, but haven't heard of any doing so.