Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shroud tension
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone. I took my 1986 Hobie out sailing for the first time since I bought it. For the last month or so I have been replacing all the standing rigging, fixing up the rudders, replacing halyards, and so on and so forth.

I noticed something sailing that really gave me the heebie-jeebies.

To raise my mast, I put the shrouds in the topmost hole of the chainplates. I then raised my jib until I had (what I felt was) a reasonably good mast rake, and then changed the shrouds to the second hole on the chainplate. That seemed to give me reasonable tension on the shrouds.

Upwind was fine. However, I sail in a reasonably wavy area (Clear Lake, Texas), and downwind scared me. Every wave the loose shroud would SNAP taut. Every time it did it I could here the hulls creak and groan.

Am I going to break a shroud, or have the hull/shroud area break on me? Should I set my shrouds tighter or looser at the dock? Or is that huge SNAP normal?

(A side note: I really need to tighten my trampoline and/or epoxy my boat. I could feel the frame warping as I went over each wave.)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:55 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I would try tightening the tramp before I epoxy the hulls. Were you sailing in light air, in light winds, big chop everything gets banged around. ON the newer boats we put the side shrouds in the 2nd or 3rd hole from the bottom, and I believe the jib is shackled in the 2nd or 3rd hole from the bottom on the front adjuster (someone want to verify if I am correct of not) Then you use the jib to tighten it all up. Depending on where you get your shrouds from they may or may not be able to be set up like this, also depending on your mainsheet block configuration, what type do you have? I think there is probably normally about 1 inch of play in the shrouds once the jib it tighten...I could be wrong on this too.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Division 15 Chairman
Panama City Beach, FL
[email protected]
850-235-2281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail with a fairly loose rig, and my mast will bang around a bit downwind as well. I think this is a normal thing. I have heard of some boats having a line that runs from the mast tang, down the forestay to a block and then to a cam cleat on the front cross bar. Pulling this tight while running downwind will put some pressure on the shrouds and prevent all the banging around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Marcus is referring to the mast rake line on a 14.

14's carry a very loose rig - you can grab a shroud with your fist and turn it 90 degrees.

When you go downwind on a 14, you go DEAD downwind, so you pull on the mast rake line to rake the mast forward and take the slop out of the rig.

The 16 doesn't need to be that sloppy, but it can still bang around in light air / chop. The creaking and groaning is probably from the boat working in the waves (trampoline frame), not the shock loading on the wires. If your wires are fairly new, you shouldn't worry about it. The only time I've seen the wires pull out of the hulls is when somebody drove their boat into a tree while it was on the trailer with the mast up. It peeled up the front foot of the deck on one bow. :shock:

[img]http://www.imgmag.com/images/and_that_is_why/DSC_7622[1].jpeg[/img]