Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Doug,

Now, THAT is creative.

I have my AI and will be doing my first camping trip this next week with some kayaker friends and another AI. A 3rd AI is coming out on a day trip, so we should have a nice gathering at Cape Romano here is S FL.

Keith

Post subject: Sorry, miscalculation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Actually 1 gallon would require 50" of 3" pipe, holding five 10" bottles. At this rate, 7 gallons would require 350" of tubing. This could be divided into 4 tubes of 87.5" each, which would easily fit on the 60" span between the ama arms. I would strap at least two of the tubes close the the hull for support. There are several configuration possibilities. At any rate, external storage would be much easier than fishing out water bottles that slide in every conceivable direction in the hull.

Sorry for the miscalculation

Post subject: Enjoy your trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I shot off my response before I saw your reply. Enjoy your outing. We really love these boats. I owned a 16' Hobie Cat and an 18' SX. This one is so much easier and versitile.

Here's a little site I created from that trip. http://jdbottorff.com/powell/
Powell can be very dangerous with high winds and seas. These boats are very stable under those condiitons.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for posting the pics and site Doug. Looks like a great trip !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Jim,
I'll bet you have some great places to sail, especially in the winter.

Lake Powell is a pretty unique place. I think everyone who has been on it has a wind story; sinking boats and all. In a power boat you could get to where we camped in fifteen minutes. But we take the, "life is a journey, not a destination" approach, so, thanks to these unique little boats, it was a genuine adventure for us.
Doug

Post subject: My first AI camping trip
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill Waller (Venice, FL) and I, with our AI's, joined 4 kayakers on a trip out of Goodland, FL, to Cape Romano this week. A "cold front" ...? Don't know what is missing or why?

Keith

Last edited by Chekika on Fri May 25, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is a good link to upload your photos. You may have to resize them.

http://photobucket.com/

After you upload them you copy the 2'nd link and paste them in between
the Img tags on your post.
gwiz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Gwiz, I'll give it a try.

First Trip: Goodland to Cape Romano, Nov 6-8, 2007

Our camp on Cape Romano: Gulf of Mexico on left, Morgan Bay on far right.

Adventure Islands shortly after arrival in Morgan Bay at Cape Romano. Dave Whitford & Bill Waller in distance. Note the large 32 qt Coleman Xtreme Cooler on Keith's boat.

Dave's AI anchored on Morgan Bay.

Bill with 20# juvenile tarpon he caught from shore (Gulf side). It was rejuvenated and released unharmed.

Early dawn--view to the east over Morgan Bay.

I hope some of you other AI folks can join us some time.

Keith

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

[quote="gwiz"]Here is a good link to upload your photos. You may have to resize them.

This sounds like fun, thank you Gwiz
Heres Bon Island (KO BON)

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd14 ... nkobon.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd14 ... kobon1.jpg

I cant seem to attach a 'site marker' link to google that will zoom in to the beach but its 7 dgs 45' 45. 88" N
98dgs 20' 04. 70" E

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Philip, you are out there! Isn't Google Earth great.

Keith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Chekika wrote:
Unfortunately, Bill, who motor sails continuously, broke a turbo fin mast on the return. He made it back ok, but did a lot of paddling (not peddling).

Just a reminder, the Drive operates reasonably well with just one fin. Here's a link: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8240
There is nothing the matter with paddling though!

Sounds like a great trip otherwise. Nice pictures! How does Dave like his dodger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow those were great pictures. What a beautiful place to camp !!! Wish I could have been on that trip.

Did Dave say if he likes that cover on his AI ? Did it do an adequate job of keeping him dry in the rough conditions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner, your write-ups on inspecting, maintaining, and using the Mirage Drive are great and will do the Hobie users a great service. Thanks.

Jim, regarding Dave's dodger here is what he wrote (I also asked him about the price.):

"Hi Keith, the dodger makes a big difference going to weather in any kind of breeze. It also keeps the sun off of your legs. This is really great in the cooler months. After all the AI is a wet boat. It won't keep the water out 100%. Cost is about $100.00. I also added a rubber gasket in the drive system in the well, that's around $9.00."

Keith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flamingo to East Cape Sable, Thanksgiving Weekend, 2007

Just finished my second AI camping trip. Went out to East Cape Sable in the Everglades on Thanksgiving weekend. Still learning. It was a group of 3 sea kayakers, 2 SOTs, and me. We left Flamingo on Fri, Nov 23 about 12:30 pm. Perfect day for kayakers--no wind. I mucked around for the first 2 hrs trying to ride every little breath of air. Result: 1.7 miles toward destination with 9+ mi to go. The picture tells it all.

At 5:10 pm, I had made another 5 miles west, but was worn out from peddling. Mind you, I was also sailing (tacking into a slight breeze) but it was slow and the wind was dropping to zero. It would be sundown in 20 min, and the tide had changed. The incoming current was running against me. My wife, Nancy, who was hanging around 2 miles further west, turned around and came back. We camped at Clubhouse Beach. Our friends had long since made it to ECS. I won't discuss the noseeums other than to say when Nancy arrived, I had our tent setup, and we dove into it with crackers, cheese, TK pumpkin pie, and a couple of ice cold beers. During the night, I dreamt of having my sea kayak.

We awoke to an unusually low tide (it would be a full moon that night). Clubhouse Beach is not an ideal place at low tide.

This is not our camp. It is Nancy and the AI in front of Clubhouse.

This was our camp. We once ran into a 6', 10-button Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake during a lunch stop here.

Fortunately, the tide came in, winds came up, and Rick, our 6th kayaker, came by and helped us move our boats to water. It was Nov 24, and the 3 of us arrived at ECS at about the same time. It was nice to sail with a bit of wind at our backs.

Our camp on ECS with Pat, Nancy, and Rick enjoying the parawing for a little shade.

More of our group: Lou, Lori, and Nick.

Sunset on East Cape Sable.

The final day, Nov 25, was an AI day. We had 18-20 knot head winds. The seas were running a 3' chop in the main channel which I tacked into. It took me about 4 hrs to do the 11 miles back, about 20 miles if tacking is included. But, the kayakers had a very tough time. The sea kayakers straggled in after 5 to 5.5 hrs, and they were spent. The two SOT paddlers took a break until 4 pm hoping the winds would die down (they did not). They arrived back at Flamingo at 9 pm. You have to take the good with the bad on a trip along coastal everglades. I'm happy to say my Coleman Xtreme cooler worked great.

Keith

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill Waller, an AI buddy, asked a few questions about our trip to ECS. I thought some of you might be interested in the answers.

Q: Sounded like you missed your sea kayak a little. A: Boy, I sure did that first day when there was no wind. All my kayaking friends were havin' fun, making nice time to ECS, and I was working and getting nowhere. I have a real dislike for not achieving my daily goals on a trip. I hate it! So, when we got stuck on Clubhouse Bch at low tide and with the annual noseeum festival going full blast, I was very discouraged about the AI. I understand a little better now, that there are going to be days like that, when it just does not make sense to try to sail some place. On those days, it might be just as well to pack it in, set up camp at the nearest spot, and hope winds pick up the next day. There is a bit of a problem when some in your group CAN achieve the day's goals (like the kayakers.) It may take a little planning when in a mixed group (kayakers and AIs) in order to accommodate AIs. Of course, other days, the AIs may do it in a breeze—pardon the pun. On those days, the reward for the rested AI owners will be to do some extra chores around camp, but they won't mind.

Q: If you did the same trip again, would you use the AI or your sea kayak? A: Yes, I would definitely use the AI. I only had doubts that first day. Now, I must admit when I was on the heavy seas the last day with winds of 20 knots and higher, I was hoping nothing would break. I had forgotten to put the rudder lockdown screw in, so the rudder kept popping up. When that happened, the boat would turn into the wind, but I could immediately use the rudder control and regain steerage. The pop-up problem did become more frequent as the day wore on. Frankly, I don't understand what is happening when the rudder pops up. I would look back and the rudder looked ok—and it worked after a few moments. So, what is happening? I do have the new up/down line upgrade and will be installing it this week. Hopefully, my question will be moot. I hope, I hope.

Q: How do you season/cook fish when camping? A: I carry a couple 12x15" "Chop & Chop" flexible cutting boards (plastic sheets) which I got at The Container Store. These are great for cleaning fish on sandy beaches. Then, usually either my wife or good friends Lou Greenwell or Rick Bartoli fry the fish. If we have a large group (6 or more) we bring a large fry pan or 2. On longer trips I get by with an omelet pan. For breading & seasoning, Lou likes to use Zatarain which you can find in supermarkets under seafood coatings. Nancy likes Panko, a Japanese gourmet bread crum flakes product found in Whole Foods or on Amazon. She also adds a bit of dill seasoning to the Panko. Lou uses a liberal amount of oil, Nancy uses a minimal amount. The key is to NOT, NEVER over fry the fish. Keep it tender and moist.

That water leak problem. I did pick up about 2 qts of water in my AI hull on that rough return trip. I think most of it came in the middle hatch. After returning home, I've looked at that hatch cover and found that the turn-down lever does not pull the cover down tight. It definitely leaks; however, if the hatch cover is pushed down after closing the lever, it settles in tight. Of course, it would also help if HOBIE designed their round hatch covers to NOT spill water on the hatch cover into the hull when they are opened.

That may be information overload, but I hope it helps.

Keith

Last edited by Chekika on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 80  Next