Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have read the instructions on repairing delamination; the bleeder holes and injecting resin. Yesterday I did something stupid. I planted a knee between the starboard shroud and the centerboard, heard a loud crack and felt the deck give. There was no visible sign of anything. I sat there a few minutes later and heard more "seperation", still nothing visible on the deck. Have I just created the classic soft spot? Should I use the delam method to fix it? Anyone want to give me a grand for my boat?

Post subject: Worth a try
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Certainly worth a try to fit it. Sounds like you cracked the laminate somehow. Possibly fractured the inside layer, but if the deck feels soft now... likely a delamination for sure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just had a very similar experience on my H17. My soft spot was from a misplaced foot between the center board and the rear cross bar. I thought it was a classic soft spot from delamination. I tried to fix the spot by drilling the holes and injecting resin. This just didn’t work. I couldn’t get the resin to even go in the holes. I finally installed an access port in the center of the soft spot. When I examined the piece of decking I removed in installing the port I found that the inner fiber glass layer had split. I repaired the crack by applying 3 or 4 layers of fiber glass.

mjb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mjb wrote:
I just had a very similar experience on my H17. My soft spot was from a misplaced foot between the center board and the rear cross bar. I thought it was a classic soft spot from delamination. I tried to fix the spot by drilling the holes and injecting resin. This just didn’t work. I couldn’t get the resin to even go in the holes. I finally installed an access port in the center of the soft spot. When I examined the piece of decking I removed in installing the port I found that the inner fiber glass layer had split. I repaired the crack by applying 3 or 4 layers of fiber glass.

mjb

That is exactly what just happened to me. I went out today drilled the holes and nothing would go in. One hole though had no glass on the bottom side. My drill went from foam to air. I am convinced the inner skin is ruptured.

I have the access ports to install. I will In stall them this weekend. I am going to try something different involving strips of teak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would keep the repair as simple as possible. My original plan to repair my soft spot was pretty elaborate. When I realized it was all caused by a single split in the inside layer I flipped the boat over and applied 3 or 4 layers of fiberglass over the split. So far the deck is as solid as ever.
mjb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mjb wrote:
I would keep the repair as simple as possible. My original plan to repair my soft spot was pretty elaborate. When I realized it was all caused by a single split in the inside layer I flipped the boat over and applied 3 or 4 layers of fiberglass over the split. So far the deck is as solid as ever.
mjb

I will install the inspection port tomorrow and feel around. You may have hit on it. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK so the git rot did nothing because the inner deck cracked but there was no de-lamination. Someone said turn it over and add glass. This is difficult but made easier by the wings. I added 5" inspection ports to access the area. I only had it up on its wings for a couple of days.