Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I intend storing my AI on the trailer at all times, from the experience of others, do you think that with the Hobie supplied cradles, that the Rack and Roll or the Hobie trailers, or even a home manufactured one, would be suitable for storage ....... it would be under an awning but 40 degrees C does happen ( 106 F). What do you think??? The Rack and Roll , sexy as it is, does appear a little short between the cross braces ........ but it may just be the photos.
and ... the Rack and Roll and Hobie trailers are designed to be well balanced. Thats good for wheeling to the water, but it also means there is considerable unprotected overhang and possibly obstructed lighting. Is that a justification for a "T" styled trailer where the axle is far back as possible.......... any thoughts ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When they are not in the water our AI's are on the trailer, on the Hobie cradles.They have no distortion whatsoever.

One big reason I built my own tower and not waited for Hobie is that the tail lights are covered by the boats. By moving them up onto the tower they are clearly visable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rio Dan,

How do you load/unload your AIs from the trailer? Also, do you store your trailer in a garage or what?

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We do keep them in the garage.

We have a yearly pass at our local county park on the Sacramento river here in Rio Vista. They have a nice boat ramp and we just back them down and slide them off into the water. We float/walk them over to the beach and extend the amas and off we go. Last month we took them to Bodega Bay. There we slid them off and attached the beach wheel cart and rolled them out onto the beach.

It's the light weight and ease of loading/unloading and ease of sailing that is really the fame of these boats. My wife never really enjoyed all the cats we have had because of the work involved in rigging and launching them. The AI's have made it possible for my wife to get as much enjoyment (maybe more) from sailing as myself. That is something I've always wanted (Thank you Hobie).

Sorry if I strayed from the point of this thread. :roll:

The advantage of the Rack-n-Roll is that if you have limited storage space you can pull the boats off and fold things up, hang it on or lean it against the wall.

That's just too much work for me. The Hobie trailer makes life easy but it does take up half my garage. When I want to get to my tool box or the drill press I have to open the big door and pull it out five or six feet. Having fussed with small boat trailers all my life I have learned the value of a cheap folding tonge wheel and a lift handle.