Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Getaway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a new Getaway and sailed it a couple of times. I'm impressed!
I've owned and raced both 14 and 16 and was afraid this one would be a bit slow. Was I wrong. Seems to be as fast but a lot more stable especially in the ocean. Anyone else have one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want built in beer coolers for my boat :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:lol: They are nice

Post subject: getaway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Its all the local Hobie dealer says they are selling. I'm not sure where they are going as we are not getting these sailors contacting our local fleet. (The dealer has our fleet info to give out to all new purchasers, so we should have that referral covered.) I know the popularity of the Getaway will cause the local fleets to alter their focus somewhat as these owners are probably much more oriented to fun sailing than to racing.
David

Post subject: Fleet 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I emailed Fleet 100 about my interest in racing over 3 weeks ago and have received no response. :(

Post subject: Getaway Owner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a Getaway late last year and have only sailed it three times, never sailed a cat before, so can't really say if it's fast. It does seem to accelerate with enthusiasm. I haven't heard anything negative about them.

Where do you sail? I have only put in on the Potomac river - Leesylvania Park in Virginia, but I would like to get up to the Annapolis Md, area some day soon.

Haven't seen any other Getaway's yet but apparently that is about all the dealers are selling around here too. The cooler is nice, although a beverage holder would have been a nice feature too. :-)

The second time I was out we had four people on board I think it was about 800lb payload - and the wind was really howling - 17+mph all day.
I was pleased with the performance, but it would have been much more fun with only two people on board that day. It was a very wet ride.

Post subject: Great Boat!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have had many Hobie's... H18mag, 2 H14's, and an H17. I currently am a Nacra guy... but my father bought a Getaway as soon as it came out and I really likes it.

The Getaway is the best beachcat around as far as comfort and flexibility. Hull coolers like an Isotope, wing keel and symetrical hulls for a nice clean bown entry, easy to trailer and rig, huge amount of room and enough power to be fun with one person or 4-5.

There are only two things I dislike about the boat and the first is the weight. 400lb is a little heavy for a 17' boat. Also, the sails have not held up very well. I would like to think that the sail cloth used was the same as any other Hobie, but my dad's seemed to fade rapidly.

All in all it is one tough, fun boat! If anything were to replace the Hobie 16, it would be this boat. It is fun. The only other boat I can think of that is this easy to rig, use on the beach (boardless), and is faster is a Nacra 570, but you sacrifice a lot of little things.

The Getaway is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail on Bogue Sound, Morehead City, NC. I also have had her in the ocean. She handles great. I've been in 20 to 30 knot winds with three on board and she screams. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been out much this summer on my Getaway and it is a blast with friends. It isn't quite as fast as my older 16 but way more stable. It doesn't matter though, when flying a hull it is just as exciting! And no pitch pole! Super easy to rig, I have been able to rig and be out on the water in less than 5 min by myself. It is a perfect boat if you want more than 1 friend on it at the same time and much more comfortable too. This is the one to get if you just want to jump on it and go. Thumbs up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:46 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Are any Getaway sailors out there ever getting together and racing each other? Could start a family race must have 2 adults and 2 kids on board and extra points for a dog. These are fabulous boats the possibilities are endless!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Panama City Beach, FL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been sailing mine all summer. I am really impressed! Very stable boat. I've taken on acouple of 16s and one 18 and beat then all!!! I was told she was slower. I had three adults on board in a 25 knot wind and hit a wave straight on at a high rate of speed. She buried both hulls and stood up at about 45 degrees and just stopped and backed down. I thought we were going to pitch pole. Wild ride. I'm the only one in my area but am drawing a lot of looks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gurney,

I sail a lot with my friend down around Beaufort Inlet. If you see a dark blue H17 with "Squalus" on the side, thats me. I'm usually chasing down a very fast, well skippered 18SX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 14 now. I find the 14 keeps your attention in strong or gusty winds and is a handful to tack in heavy wind. However it is a blast to sail in any wind!!!

I want a bigger, faster boat for carrying weight (Passenger or cargo) and was looking at a Getaway, 16, 17 or 18.

I am a fairly proficient, [155 pound (ready to go)} windsurfer sailor, so I understand the sailing theory part instinctively. I sail in a resevoir that is dotted with the odd rocky shoal. I know where most of them are.

The dealers I spoke with seem to be pushing the Getaway, but I am not able to actually see one or try it due to my location. Any good pictures floating around?

I am tempted to get one but I hesitate to get a "beginner's barge".

I really appreciate all of the above comments from other sailors and I am using this as a reference to decide, so please add your comments to the pack.

Cheers Alan

Post subject: Getaway for a beginner?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have sailed Hobies from the beginning and the Getaway isn't for the novice. It is a forgiving boat but still requires a lot of skill. It will make the 14 look like a walk in the park. Its a good boat to move up to if you feel you are ready for the challenge.
Gurney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The only thing I can think of that the 14 is easier to sail than the Getaway is the ease if righting it once capsized. What is easier than a roller furling jib, wings to put your butt, and rotomolded hulls which require absolutely no maintenance? Also comes standard with a baby bob, and no boom. Everything about it screems user friendly. This is exactly the type of boat a beginner needs. I know, I am one. I hardly take out my 16 anymore. And how about those coolers!!!!!!!! :D :D :D