Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anybody know what if any improvements have been made on Getaway since it came out? I'm thinking on a new one at the Toronto Internation Boat Show in Jan 05. Heard about sail fading and UV detereoration. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The trailers now have double rollers because the single rollers could put permenant dents in the skegs. The cooler covers have changed (they are subject to UV deteriation but it is no biggie). Why would Getaway sails be any different than any other sails? If you get the price you want... buy it no remorse no regrets!!

Post subject: Trailer Rollers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do you know if single rollers can be converted to double? I have a Longe trailer with single rollers and the possibility of the skeg denting occured to me too. What type of double roller set-up is needed to avoid this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Trailers are amazingly generic. Look in your yellow pages for a trailer supply. You need 4 more rollers (take one with you to show them) 8 galvanized straps/bars that are 10-12 inches long. They need holes at each end and center holes. You remove your current rollers and bolt the straps in their place at the center hole. Add rollers at each end and you are done. You want the roller straps to articulate so when you buy the bolts and locking nuts that you need get some sleeves for the pivoting bolts, that way you can maintain the proper distance between straps as you set the torque on the nuts. This is a VERY trivial mod, you could do it in a suit!
old rollers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have a picture of the new trailer setup? I think that would help clarify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Without driving to the lake, this is the best I can do.
I have bought a lot of stuff locally and from these two places on line.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/
http://www.championtrailers.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can tell you from personal experiance that the 2001 Getaway a friend of mine had since they first came out had constant hull problems over the past three years. Lots of cracking around the cross-member joints.

As far as I know Hobie did stand behind the boat and replaced both hulls. We have yet to see any problems on newer boats in our fleet. However it was a collossal mfg. error.

Other changes noticed:

1. New cooler tops (old ones had UV issues and were a pain)
2. New cooler drains that run out to the inside of each hull (non-existant on 2001)
3. New tramp design (2001 tramps were cut slightly different and the tracks were either smaller or larger. Bottom line, they are two different tramps).
4. Forward mesh tramp material may have changed. Big time UV degredation on the 2001 models.
5. Masts are now one-piece. I also think where the sail feeds into the mast channel is different. Original 2-piece masts has joint issues.
6. I think 2005's have different rudder castings.

Solid boat now. Very fun. Maybe the second best beachcat for entertainment out there.

Post subject: Changes...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Problems with cracking were typically due to oven issues. Under cooked it appears. These ovens are huge and a bit difficult to keep consistent. We are getting another new oven to help. More internal air circulation.

Masts are still two-piece, but we are sure to have dealers glue them together now. Any older mast should also be glued if you have one.

The forward tramp material is the same, but an additional UV coating now.

The rudder systems on the Bravo and Wave have been changed over to a new system, the Getaway is the same still until we are sure the new system is working properly. The new system is very sweet. Pull the tiller arm up... rudder goes up. Push the tiller arm down... rudder goes down, very simple. I suspect the Getaway will go to the new system next model year change (Fall 2005).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am wondering if Hobie cat will give the dealers a chance to let buyers upgrade their old rudder systems for the new design, if perfected, with a bit of a buy back discount. I would like to try the new style when released.

Post subject: Doubtful
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have never heard of Hobie doing a buy-back of anything.

My own personal opinion... The last think Hobie needed to do was to re-design their rudder system. I have not seen the new one so I don't know exactly how much better it will be. Their current system is great and I see no issue to change other than materials.

Post subject: Changed the design
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

The "Patented kick up rudder system" sold with all Hobie Cat since day one are great... if you know a few tricks and keep the cam working. Worst case is beginners and relatively novice sailors. They would sail the boats with the rudders not fully locked down and couldn't get them to stay up when coming into a beach. The cams get dry and would lock in the down position. None of this a real issue, IF you know how to operate and maintain the system. If you don't, you typically can’t get the rudders down all the way and get large weather helm loads and that is not comfortable let alone difficult and dangerous to deal with. The boats don't steer well that way.

The new system is simple. Lower the tiller and the rudder goes down. Raise the tiller and the rudder comes up. More people will have a better sailing experience because the rudders will be down when they are supposed to be.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the comments. It helped me make the decison when I started this thread.

I took the plunge and bought a brand new Getaway at the Toronto Boat Show last Sunday.

One problem, my lake has 3 feet of ice on it now. Have to wait for 3 more months for spring. I can't wait!!!!

Bob Peters ...east of Toronto

Post subject: Well done Bob!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well done Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BobPeters wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. It helped me make the decison when I started this thread.

I took the plunge and bought a brand new Getaway at the Toronto Boat Show last Sunday.

One problem, my lake has 3 feet of ice on it now. Have to wait for 3 more months for spring. I can't wait!!!!

Bob Peters ...east of Toronto

The wait can be unbearable (as I look outside in -20F degrees) but before long you will be sailing the most fun and user friendly boat in Hobie's fleet.....IMHO. :D

Post subject: Re: Changes...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="mmiller"]Problems with cracking were typically due to oven issues. Under cooked it appears.

The forward tramp material is the same, but an additional UV coating now.
.[/quote]

Matt - I'm looking at a used 2001 Getaway, but have not inspected it yet. Given your statements above and the comments of the other gentleman:

1) Are ALL 2001 Getaway hulls suspect and to be avoided? If not,

2) where should they be inspected for hull shortcomings? and,

3) is the tramp on the 2001 different than later model years (potential problem for replacement?)

Thanks.