Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I Puchesed a older Hobie 16 1974. Very well kept her previous owner loved her as I'm sure I will do. :D I'm wondering if the EZ step mast raiser works for raiesing the mast single handed :?: For those days when I want to get away bye myself. I also want to bring back her shine should I remove the wax and use a rubbing compound on the hulls. Any advice would be helpful. Any one want to sail in the Fresno area?

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Welcome to the family, Todd! :D

As for your first question, I've never had any problems stepping the mast by myself without any mechanical assistance. If you tie a 10' length of line to the bridle and the other end to the jib halyard shackle, you can hold the mast in place with the jib halyard after you lift the mast up. (Do a search on this forum for "solo mast stepping" and you'll get a ton of free advice.)

To bring the shine back on the hulls, you can start with rubbing compound on an electric buffer, but the real secret is to finish it off with 3M "Finesse-It II" polishing compound and an electric buffer. (You can do it manually, but I don't advise it unless you have lots of time and/or need the exercise.) When I was done restoring my '72 H-14, it looked like it had just popped out of the mold! 8)

You can get the rubbing compound and Finesse-It at West Marine.

To find people to sail with, you should hook up with the folks in Hobie Division 2 here and Fresno Hobie Fleet 62 here.

You can check out the latest edition of the Hobie Class News, the class magazine at http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass

We look forward to seeing you out on the water!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You do not really need any fancy device (besides the step link-but that's a standard) to step the mast solo. Search the forum or follow this link ...
http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... art=1&vc=1

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a Poly Glow or VertGlass (lovettmarine.com) fan. I would never use rubbing compound on gelcoat. Just use the deoxidizer and then the wipe on coating. It is amazing. I am refinnishing a horrible set of hulls now and will post some pictures after I am done. You can see my problem hulls look terrible. The flash actually makes them look better than they are, I have large areas on each side where the tramp tarp protected the hulls and the blue is much better that the rest of the hulls.

Post subject: FYI
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Todd,
In case you are REALLY new to sailing and the Forum, we are trying to convince Frank that you have to sail with the boat turned the other side down. He's a sailor, he's just not used to these little toy boats :wink: :lol:

Welcome to the crew 8)

PS if you tilt your hulls with the bows down just a few degrees - for example if you are on a flat surface and the hitch end is on the ground (instead of up on the ball), or you are parked with the boat pointed just slightly pointd downhill, you will find that the leverage to raise the mast and to keep it up while the bridle is being attached is greatly increased. With very little foward tilt, the mast will stand by itself.

I have never used anything but myself to raise the mast on a 16, and I have always been a little guy (well now I am fat and old and little). :shock:

At the first sign of storm, we sail !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ref: this thread ( http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=827 ) for solo mast stepping. :)

Jim

Post subject: MASTS STEPPING
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok I am convinced that I need to get out there and do it. Just a bit concerned :) Worked on the trailer tonight added a spear wheel and a good cleaning and inspection of the entire trailer. Learned a long time ago when a Santana 21 poped off the hitch in the bussiest intersection in Okla City :oops: I am heading to Bakersfield in the AM Need Gloves and a good life vest, and hopfully some poly glow or vertglas :P Thanks for the tip Frank, and we really know why Oklahoma is so windy don't we :twisted: I'll be out here in central cal until my Wife finishes her 20 years in the Navy. We are heading most likely to K.C.

CIAO
Feel like I was born to HOBIE 8)

Post subject: Don't forget
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dont forget the mast chip. I am soooo cheap, I use my kids wiffle ball golf balls and cut them in half. They fit perfect. Stick one of thise in the mast base before you tip the mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Circles cut from the lid of a peanut butter jar or the cap from a Gatorade bottle work too. :)