Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey There Everyone,

Just bought 2 new adventure Islands from the good folks at NorthWest Hobie Cat. Anyone else in Seattle? I'll be sailing out of Sand Point until I can get a trailor/SUV combo that will work.

Thanks for a great site. I've already learned alot. Just got back from buying foul weather gear at REI, so I am ready to go... Rain or Shine.

Damien
Seattle, WA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to the forum.

You're going to love your new toys.

REI has a great deal right now on the Kokatat Super Nova semi-dry suit. Did you get something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rio Dan wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

You're going to love your new toys.

REI has a great deal right now on the Kokatat Super Nova semi-dry suit. Did you get something like that?

Yeah, I got it on clearence for 349. Only downside is I look like I'm going on a star trec away team (its black and red), but otherwise its all good.

I can't wait to get out. Probably do the maiden voyage this weekend.

D

Post subject: Thule Hullavator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NWKayaksailor,

Welcome to the AI club. I live in Redmond and have two myself. B4 you get the trailer you might consider the Hullavator from Thule along with the Yakima Stacker. See picks Below.

Would love to go out sailing sometime, I am fairly hardcore and will go out in any weather, 30knots is all kinds of fun. Let me know your schedule and we can hook up.

NorskBoy EMail - [email protected]

Image :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject: Re: Thule Hullavator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am fairly hardcore and will go out in any weather, 30knots is all kinds of fun.

Bloomin' heck thats hardcore!!! I was out in wind gusting 25 knots today (yacht skipper anchored in the bay has an anemometer) but that was offshore and in a bay only about 3/4 of a mile off the beach so the water was flat. (7 46 25N 98 17 54E for any google earth aficionados)

My forex clocked a max speed of 26.8 knots, that was on a 99 ltr 278 race board with a 6m2 twin cam sail. A better/younger sailer would probably have notched up 30 knots. What it must be like sailing the A1 in winds of 30 knots is unimaginable to me. How does it handle, I mean you must be reefed? I would be absolutely terrified!

Like so many other A1 owners, I love my A1 despite all those little frustrations...a bit of fishing, the odd trips out to the islands. Things start to get a bit 'focused' beyond 15 knots...time to think about other toys in the quiver at 20 I would be out of the water for sure unless I 'got caught'...but 30 knots would be all sorts of something, not sure 'fun' would be the first word that came into my mind!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The only thing scary about these boats in heavy air is the fear of what may break. I guess my wife and I have been lucky. The only thing we've had come apart was the furler drum on my boat which almost dislodged the mast with it.

Frankly it's a kick to see all the other boats heading for safe harbor while we're having a ball crashing through the chop and getting drenched.

Yes, you need to reef, but only to maintain helm control. But a full sail in heavy air doesn't add anymore speed because the sail just gets blown out of shape. Roll it up a bit and you go faster with more control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, I thought I would give it a bash and like Rio Dan all the tour boats here were diverting to safer landing spot, they couldnt get close to the jetty. I got a drenching too and the reaches were best described as 'interesting'...one remains 'focused', you really DONT want to bury that hull and it sure feels like it wants to go, more so with a few litres of water shipped!!! I also had to reef as close hauled the gusts were lifting the windward pontoon way up out of the water. Sheeting right in was a problem and the sail profile reefed was ragged to say the least. I didnt make more than 7.8 knots and the rudder control was tenuous at best.I was very happy to have a steel rudder pin as I am sure the plastic one would have popped. The chop was steep about 3' and a bit it was capping off everywhere. I would say on a Hobie 16 it would have been a rip roaring good blast on the AI it was just all a bit fraught. Finally my mirage drive gave out the locking pin on the pedal shaft bored its way thru the retaining hole (no 3) good enough excuse to call it a day. This wasnt a 30 knot day but it was tide against wind...windspeed? I dunno, WINDY but until i take this boat out some more I have to say I dont trust it!!!! If my boat blows apart its OK I have fins and the waters warm, I know my tides and I know I can leg it back across the channel, reef rash? Yes, scared to hell? yes but do-able in this climate.

I have had some wonderful days fishing in fair weather and I am in awe of the boats ability to plane off in a light breeze. Its quite a craft, but when things pick up I feel like I am on a sledge.

Now I have an excuse to bring this exotic craft back home, battle with hobie Aus over warranty issues on the mirage drive and await the new part (looks like its the whole of one side that will have to be replaced) Still my tried and trusted perception Sea Lion has been hanging outside the house since I bought the AI, time to dust her off and return to my kayaking roots, somewhat sobered by my extravagant whim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Damien,

Have you tried out the semi dry suit from REI, yet? Would love to get your feed back B4 I put it on my Xmas list. :D

NorskBoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Norskboy,
I've been using the Super Nova semi-dry suit for over a year and they are one of the best purchases I've ever made. Since they're breathable, you don't even get sweaty inside and they are quite comfortable. If the REI price doesn't suit you, check out www.nrsweb.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Todd Craig,

Thanks for the feed back. Where do you paddle? I have heard that the Super Nova semi-dri suit may not be as breathable as Gore tex, your thoughts? Sounds like this has not been a problem for you.

Norskboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Norskboy
I'm sailing mostly in Northern California and San Francisco Bay area. I bought the drysuits to race Catamarans in. I've done a number of events where the air temperature is pretty warm, but the water is in the 50s. The dry suits have been quite comfortable and I haven't had any problems with the breathability. We did a trip with RioDan recently where we had no wind and had to pedal the whole time. The suits were very comfortable and we were dry when we peeled out of them. Gore-tex might breathe better, but the difference between breathing and not breathing at all is huge. Gore-tex is also twice as expensive. The only reason the Super Nova suits are considered semi-dry, is that they have lycra instead of neoprene at the neck. If you completely submerge, you might get a little water in the suit, but the lycra is much more comfortable.
One comment about the AIs to get back on topic; these boats are so stable that people push them very hard in conditions no one in their right mind would take most sailboats out in. They are not particularly fragile or prone to failures, but they are fairly new and Hobie has been very good about upgrading systems when a problem occurs. Take your AI's out there, have fun and beat the heck out of them. If something breaks, fix it and get back out there.
Cheers,
Todd Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Todd Craig wrote:
Norskboy

Quote:
One comment about the AIs to get back on topic; these boats are so stable that people push them very hard in conditions no one in their right mind would take most sailboats out in. They are not particularly fragile or prone to failures, but they are fairly new and Hobie has been very good about upgrading systems when a problem occurs. Take your AI's out there, have fun and beat the heck out of them. If something breaks, fix it and get back out there.

Absolutely, but sail safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just to chime in on the Kokatat Super Nova: My wife and I went out Sunday afternoon for the first time in out new 'suits. The air temperature was 59*F. I don't know what the water temp was but it was much lower than that. Except for our hands and feet we were comfy warm. We need to get some real cold weather gloves and booties. Our socks inside the suit did get slightly moist. I don't know if it was sweat, condensation, or river water seeping in. If my feet had stayed warm it wouldn't have mattered.

Sunday was also the first time to try out the new rudder up/down lines. Two thumbs up. They saved me from wading in to tighten and loosen the old thumb screws. I'll never miss the old dumb handle. The only down side, and this is very minor, is that the only thing keeping the rudder up after hauling it up is gravity. While our boats were sitting on the shore with the stearns in the water the wakes would wash the rudder blades off the deck and back into the water. This is no problem as long as you remember to haul them back up before pushing the boats back out into the water. If I were to leave them sit for any length of time I'd secure them with the bungie. When we left Sandy Beach around 2:00 the winds were 18-20 mph with a pretty good chop. The rudders performed flawlessly. I did notice at times some flexing of the down haul cleat due to the pressure on the rudder blade. This was very minor as well but I'm glad I used washers under cleat nuts inside the hull.

We also used our navigation lights for the first time too. Although we got back to the launch ramp right at sun set and actually didn't technicly need them. They worked great and were easy to mount. The supplied "belt clip" snaps tight over the forward hatch bungies and the aft rudder bungie. While not terribly bright they should satisfy the local athorities. (Of which we saw none of that day. The sherrifs and coasties must have been huddled around the fire back at hq)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:16 am 
Hobie Team Member

Rio

What brand of lights did you purchase? Do they run off 12 v ?