Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A Fine season of Hobie Sailing!

It ended much as it began - convincing us we needed lessons! We tried to sail every weekend, "Sailing Sunday" as it were, and were shut down for lack of wind about three times, and (up to Mid-September anyway) only once for one of us being out of town!!

We have progressed from the "too stupid to be scared" stage of our first trip in July when got stuck in the bushes, and now have no fear of sailing across the lake on fast reaches, in and out of the other nice sailboats, and having a super time!

There is room in each of us to learn more. The Great Hobie God taught us a lesson Sunday, our last day! It was a windy day, forcast 15-20 m/h. This didn't scare us too much as we had sailed in some 15 m/h winds in September, and hey - whats a few more since we "know what we are doing". We envisioned about three hours of fast reaches, maybe flipping over once or twice, and looking good

WRONG!!

We launch in a small cove off of the main body of the lake. The launch area is about 150 feet east of the main lake. When we arived in the parking lot to set up, the wind was coming right at the launch area, FAST. The wind was something we had not seen before, it was coming straight down the lake, without anything to break it up. It had to be a steady 20, and the surface was long breakers about 2' tall and building higher as we rigged up, pushing hard into the rip-rap boulders surrounding the narrow ramp and "Safe" beaching area. While we knew we could get out OK, we were really concerned about coming in "hot" to the dock and crashing into something hard.

Another couple of signs - only one sail boat on the lake anywhere, and only two power boat trailers at our area. No safety net if we got into trouble on the lake!!

We should have listened to our inner voices, but - hey - we were seasoned sailors by now, and really had a clue, and isn't wind what it is all about!!. I did voice to my partner-in-crime "I don't feel good about this, and think I am goin to puke", but set out anyway.

We headed out into the wind and prepared to jibe around and head into the lake. The wind grabbed us like a toy and stood us on end before we had shifted our weight, I lost my new hat, and only a miracle and a sense of desperation kept us from going over. After regrouping, and failing to get it all together a couple more times, we tried to simply sail around the cove and live to sail again another day.

WRONG

While trying to get back to the dock, we blew a jibe, and even in the hold position, were now past the dock getting blown into the rip-rap boulders. Oh "Poop"!! We managed to make it halfway back, drifting backward with the high wind, high waves, and a sense of doom before we got into the rocks. First Mate jumped off port side, using the main sheet to hold the boat while I derigged the main sail, and then we walked it back to the dock in chest deep water. At one time I thought we were going to be flung up to the parking lot!!

We waded through the dead brush, hung up fishing lures sunk logs, and got back to the launch area. We were glad to be done, for the day and for the year.

Damage was two fist size dents in the starboard hull, scratched and cut legs (Doctor appointment and tetnaus shot for me today), and a renewed appreciation for the forces involved.

LESSONS LEARNED
1. There is a reason to buy a used boat. If I had done this to a new one, I would have tied myself to the mast and gone down with the ship!!

2. One needs lessons, especially when one thinks one doesn't

We will patch up the boat and our pride, and set out next year

Thanks to all for your support

Happy Hobie'ng

Mike and Greg and Dee
Leavenworth, KS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock:
Who, besides myself, would like to see a "REALITY" show where couples (of any gender mix) are given H16's and given a week to see if they learn to sail it and then see if they can stand each other at the end of the week :lol:

My only misadventure this season was deciding to take the 17 out when I KNEW that a violent windstorm was headed up the 40 mile by 3 mile wide Seneca Lake. Did you know that a 30 plus gust in the middle of a Jibe will actually come up UNDER the wings and the tramp and DRIVE the bows forward and under water. Yes it will! A forward pitchpole of sorts. And do you know that you can ride for several hundred feet straight forward with your rudders clean out of the water while you practically stand on the stern to keep the bow down? Yep! Do you have any idea how fast one of these things can actually go once it levels out? Fasterthanhell comes to my mind. Last but not least, you should see how far you can go UP the beach where trees are losing branches and falling over and small stones are actually blowing off the beach and pelting you? OUch! I have NEVER put my boat away faster in my life. I even beat the rain.... Several beers later, I realized that I may have been in danger but as we say up here "at the first sign of storm, WE SAIL"!! 8)

By the way, is MGMLVKS a roman numeral for something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good stories, guys! I don't have anything particularly profound to share. Most of my "non-perfect wind" sailing days were spent watching tiny wakes come off the bows and rudders due to 0.5mph winds. Aah well. There's always next year. If I get stationed somewhere near water. 8)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys need to get your boats out on the ocean. Things are so much different. The winds are much more constant, plus limitless room, so you can fly on a reach, out on the wire for as long as you want. Plus, nothing is more exciting than flying off the top of a 4' swell.

If anyone is ever up this way (new england area), feel free to drop me a line. I'm always looking for a crew.

Post subject: Absolutely marcus
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My sailing soul aches to get back on the ocean. Blasting through breakers on a wild charge off the beach, surfing back in under full power- YEE HAH!
Dolphins playing betweent the hulls, cruising through schools of Blues. Love it love it love it. Miss it.

Post subject: Friday
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is supposed to be 72 here in Iowa on Friday, blowing in the 20s. I was hoping to cut out early and take the new 20 for a spin, but MAN is the water cold! Maybe should stick to my 16 in the heavy stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

At the south end of Lake Michigan, our sailing season doesn't end. I'm 58, and my 50yo sailing buddy (a doctor who should know better) have been out at least once a month for the last 3 yearss,winters included.

We keep the H-16 rigged on the beach, with the main and jib attached in sail bags. We now have 7mm wet suits, but used to sail in 2/3's at times when the air temp was 28F.

The worst was Feb 04 when we had to go off shelf ice into 2' of ice slush. We've flown hulls in Dec and Mar, but Jan and Feb are just too risky.

Are there any other frostbite sailors in the Great Lakes? or anywhere else?

John Wirth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a whole frostbite racing series up here in Rhode Island, although it is a group of 14's. I plan on keeping my 16 on the beach until the bay freezes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dammit I really need a set of wetsuits. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes Jaime you are. Especially if you are planning to come down to Canyon Lake to sail this weekend. We are expecting great wind, bright sunshine, and 64 degree temps. The water will actually be warmer than the air temp.
Mike