Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:38 am 
Hobie Team Member

Or some ideas anyway. :idea:

Background

Some may remember my efforts with the smaller sail to rig up an outrigger for fishing using an appedage on the top of the mast. Click to blow up.

Here you can see the line to the trolling bait is tight. The slack loop is the line going to the tip of the rod. It's all the same line in other words. Held by a closepin. The closepin was run up and down the mast on a long loop from the base of the mast through the aforementioned appendage. Like a flag pole rig.

The idea is when a fish that eats the bait the close pin releases and the slack loop permits him to turn the bait in his mouth without feeling any pressure. You then strike him.

The rig worked somewhat. With two lines of the loop exposed difficult to keep untwisted, etc.

Ideas welcome.

Today I am staring at my new AI conversion kit mast and sail. I'm looking at the pocket for the mast . Aha. There's room there. I grabbed the old tubing left over from the rudder up/down kit. Fit easily in the mast pocket alongside the mast.. OK can get some more from Ace , maybe even narrower stuff and run it all the way up. Can keep at least one line of the loop in the tube.

At the top of the mast there is a U like fitting that plugs into a ring insert. A strap across the mast pocket fits there and it holds the sail up aginst the pressure of the downhaul.

What I am looking for is a fitting/device/idea that attaches to the U for running the line through that then feeds the othe piece of the loop to the base of the mast. This line will be outside the pocket. It will have the clothespin attached which you raise and lower similar to a flag. $64 question. Given the mast rotation due to furling may vary how do I make a fitting so the clothespin always faces aft?

I'd also like to use this device for running a "Greenstick". See :

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... c&start=15

Any help would be appreciated. Just when I think I have something I strike out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,
If you run your tubing up above the sail, even a couple of inches would it matter which way it was facing?

Bob

Post subject: aloha dan the man
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:29 am 
Hobie Team Member

it sounds like that will be hard to pull off. seems like it would always get caught up on furling in and out of the sail. Dan I have a great idea for hobie and the AI. I am still trying to get on the hobie fishing team so i dont want to give out to much yet. hopefully i will have the chance to share my ideas with there engineering director. aloha Boogie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:10 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Bob

Good idea. Thanks.

Twirling a toothpick in my hand & thinking about it.

I'll make a mockup. If I anchor the rear of the clothespin to the line and pull it all the way to the top it might stickup enough to have the line pull it so the end of the pin is somewhat aft. As long as the fish line doesn't hang up when it releases might be OK.

Should definitely work for the greenstick line.

boogie- Yep there will be tangles wherever lines are exposed. From previous experience with small sail helps to saw off the excess batten that sticks out.