Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been out 4 times now in lighter conditions with the twin sails in tandem and solo modes and have been very happy with the way the boat performs. For the first time sail power has taken over from pedal power! The extra sail is just what the tandem needed to get it moving under wind power alone.
First real test in lighter conditions (windspeed 8-12 km/h) was solo, running with the wind or across it. It didn’t take me too long to get used to the extra lines. The stability of the Tandem Oasis was great -even on a reach I felt confident it would not tip. It heels over to a point and then stays there. Maximum speed reached was 8.2 km/h not pedalling (GPS). Steering was better with the fins in the down position to get the centreboard effect. When tucked up the bow would turn with the wind.

Next trip was tandem in 10 -15km/h winds. We managed all points sailing with no pedalling except on tacks. We could sail close-hauled much better with the fins in the down position. As our confidence grew our speed picked up and reaching we managed around 8km/h again. We had never experienced these speeds in light conditions before unless we were pedalling as well.

Solo into the wind is not so great though. As Roadrunner predicted with his CE calculations the second sail pushes the bow across with the wind. It is difficult to maintain a course as you move sideways as much as forward. My destination was directly into the wind and as I just didn’t seem to be getting closer I took down the sails (which worked OK on water) and pedalled directly into the wind of 15-20km/h. Interestingly pedalling I managed between 5-6km/h and combining pedalling and paddling achieved 6-7.5km/h.

Next project- a dagger board to improve solo into the wind sailing. I am thinking of getting the Adventure daggerboard and fitting it to a pipe just like the sidekick mount so that it can kick up if it hits something. Locating it just behind the front passenger should lessen sideways slip.
I have decided at this stage not to get the sidekicks as one would be dragging in the water all the time, given the heel we experience with the two sails (seen clearly in pic above). That may change though if we do capsize!!
Thanks for the great advice on this forum especially from Roadrunner, Kepnutz and Sunjammers. :)
Big thanks to Kev and Mick (my local Hobie dealers) for lending me the second sail. I'll be in this week to pay for it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Looks fantastic! First class work and brilliant innovation!! Definitely an original! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good Onya Stringy

Last edited by kepnutz on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Recently we had a week away with friends, staying beside the Shoalhaven River on the NSW South Coast. It was a great opportunity to test the twin sails, especially as one of our friends was an experienced sailor.

Rigging the extra sail takes a bit longer but it is worth it for the increased performance:

Unfurling the rear sail first:

Then the front sail. This was the first time I did not have to control the front sail mainsheets as I gave Geoff (the experienced sailor) both front lines:

The wind was ideal for this test blowing a steady 12-15 knots. We soon got to 4 knots on a reach with the pedals tucked up:

Giving the front passenger control increased the fun for both of us. It’s one of the benefits of having a sail each!:

Geoff’s experience at “hiking outâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, excellent report and great pictures!

When John Bertrand and Australia II won the America's Cup in 1983 using a winged keel and new sail technology, it really demonstrated the sailing innovation that you Aussies have. You've certainly continued that tradition here with your tandem sails and slick rudder modification. If there were an award for Innovator of the Year, I think you would be the winner!

I'm also looking forward to more reports about how your drivewell daggerboard works in different sailing configurations -- helm balance, pointing, etc.

BTW, here are a couple of tips for hiking out for anyone who might benefit from them. When you're leaning out, you can take advantage of those "scallops" along the side of the cockpit. By jambing your foot into one, they help you get further out and also help keep you from being tossed out of the boat with a sudden gust. I use both at once to keep from flopping head first into the water if the wind dies suddenly also. :lol: All the Mirage Drive boats have them except the Outfitter and they are very handy at times. Here's a rather poor depiction of the concept:

For the Oasis, I also mounted some "Jesus straps" off the gunwales for those moments when you need something to hang onto. I find they also help when just pedaling around. These straps are the same ones used on the AI amas. My wife loves them (I like them too).

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ya RoadRunner :D
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We would like to try to mount a second forward sail on our 2011 Oasis. Any mount ideas out there?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Hobocat,
Looking at the 2011 Oasis the logical place to mount the second sail would be on the forward bulkhead. With the large hatch you have good access for through bolting hardware and it looks to be a simpler project than on the earlier round hatch Oasis. I'd be thinking about getting an extra Hobie mast receiver tube # 84550001 and clamping it to the bulkhead. There are many types of brackets available for mounting pipes to walls. This site may give you some ideas:
http://www.stauff.com/index.php?id=1423
Good luck and keep us posted how you go. We had many great trips in our old Oasis. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobocat wrote:
We would like to try to mount a second forward sail on our 2011 Oasis. Any mount ideas out there?

See if this helps:

viewtopic.php?t=20991