Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurricane damaged H 14's
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to this forum and am trying to figure out a way to reach any Fla, La, Ms, Ala, sailors who might have lost their boats. First of all I would like to express my sympathy to you guys for being in harms way. We have tornadoes here in Kansas, but they are usually short term events. I am looking for a couple of H 14 comp tip masts, booms and sails for a project boat I am modifying. Thanks.
Bruce

Post subject: 14 Mast
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In Des Moines, Jim Sohn has a 14 mast 515-554-0680

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm in Va Beach, VA and I have several booms and masts, but only one is a comptip mast.

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also--I have an older 5 batten main that is in excellent shape. Xanderwess knows someone with the same sail for sale if you were looking to have matching sails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do they kick you out of the nationals for not having a comp tip?
I mean whats the point? There is no real racing fleet unless you live in Rhode Island or get to an occasional race in VA Beach. Is the comp tip stronger? For when your on the wire? Don't the tigers not have a comp tip (I remember one of the new boats doesn't)? How'd Hobie get around that?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anybody know where to get a good used 6 Batten main?

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sam,

I just seem to find boats and boats find me. There are tons of them just sitting around in back yards here in Tidewater.

I have a good 6 batten main that you can take a look at when you pick up that trailer...

I'm trying to get a big 14 fleet working in the area. I had a lot of 14s on the neach for a weekly series, but I couldn't get people to come out. Our last race, though, we had 4 (almost 5) Turbos. We're getting there..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Do they kick you out of the nationals for not having a comp tip?
I mean whats the point?

Short answer - yes. The point is that it's been part of the class rules for the past 15 years. Get over it and get on with life.

Quote:
Is the comp tip stronger? For when your on the wire?

The CompTip is more flexible than the full aluminum mast and requires a little more finesse in sail trim, especially in gusty conditions. The trapeze and the shrouds attach below the CompTip, so it really makes no difference in strength insofar as trapezing is concerned.

Quote:
Don't the tigers not have a comp tip (I remember one of the new boats doesn't)? How'd Hobie get around that?

Tigers are made by Hobie Europe in France (a completely separate company). Hobie USA is the distributor. European boats do not have CompTips because they don't have the stupid product liability lawsuits we have in the USA.

People forget that the CompTip is a safety device. It's not perfect, but it's part of the rules and has been for a long time. Any regatta organizer that allows full aluminum masts (on boats that have CompTips) is accepting the potential liability claims of anybody hurt or killed because they didn't have a CompTip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

I have no problem w/ the comptip-seems like a great safety idea, but it is just a hassle to retrofit/ buy a new mast for these 14's when the fleets are so small and you only technically need them at sponsored/organized regattas (>regionals).

Dan,

We just keep running out of time to get that trailer...I will speak w/ the folks and check the schedule for the earliest free weekend!

Sam

Post subject: Comptips
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sam,

What few 14s we have in Va Beach that race do not have comptips. I had a heck of a time finding one to do the NAs last year! for the most part, we keep the boats on the beach with the masts up, and comptips relly don't like that UV exposure. In addition, the coating comes off and they get fuzzy. We have only had a few 14s racing, so we don't enforce the comptip rule unless someone complains. A few of us have head sails, so we can't use a comptip if we wanted to. However, if you wanted to race in a strict 14 class, you need one. I have a new 14 comptip section if you really want one. I also just got a good 6 batten sail.

Dan