Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sloppy Akas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am getting a lot of slop where the Akas attach to the Adventure brackets. It seems to be wearing pretty significantly. I can't be the only one having this issue. Has anyone sleeved the Akas? or come up with another solution?

NorskBoy

Post subject: Re: Sloppy Akas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NorskBoy wrote:
I am getting a lot of slop where the Akas attach to the Adventure brackets. It seems to be wearing pretty significantly.
NorskBoy

Been there, done that :)

Try getting some 3/4" - 1" round self-adhesive felt pads, the kind you put on the bottom of furniture (chair legs ect.).

Place 2 pads on the flat end of the ama arm opposite to where it will contact the Adventure x-braces. What you are doing is letting the felt pad become a shim in the hinge point. That will minimize the up and down play of the aka. The holes will still be worn but at least it won't rattle and, if done right, will remove all up/down play. You might have to crush the felt pad a bit to get it to fit.

One of the consequences of worn aka hinge is not only will it rattle but the boat may heel just a bit more because of the play. Also, once worn the excess play will accelerate further wear.

Have 2 Islands purchased in Oct. '06.

There may be some variances in the hardness (tempering) of the aluminum. I sent some parts in to Matt for his engineers to look at - he will be getting back to me about it soon. I have had much less wear on a different set of arms and X-braces. So there may be only a few isolated cases of "soft" metal out there.

Yakaholic

ps I originally used outdoor carpet but found the felt pad to work better.