Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Class representitives
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With all the one design BS on catsailor and people complaining about not having someone to call for class info, what does it take to be a class representitive? What does the job entail? I'm curious about the FXone class is why I ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

According to the HCA-NA Bylaws, there is no such thing.

Doesn't mean they couldn't be created, though.

You would have to create a definition. When does a class warrant a representative? Do they have to cross some sort of membership threshhold? What is that threshhold?

What are the duties of a Class Rep? Are they voting members of the Board?

That's just for starters. Develop a proposal. It would have to be approved by the board, then voted on by the general membership to have it enacted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some one on catsailor mentioned Bob Merrick as being the H16 captain? Something along those lines anyway and that many of the other classes did not have one. The person was using the H18 as an example. What are Bob's duties as H16 class captain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ah, I'm sorry. Just wasting space again. I re-read Merrick's post, and his comment was the Fleet captains would be a good idea. I was assuming that these were currently empty positions that could benifit from having someone there to fill them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hereby propose a motion to nominate Mr. Karl Brogger of Hobie Fleet 444, Division 7 and a member in good standing of HCANA as FX One class Captain...do we have a second?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's funny John, but in reality, its something (fleet captains) that is being talked about. There are lots of benefits to the thought of having a 'mouthpiece' for each class and with more organization in each class, the hope would be that the classes would grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
the hope would be that the classes would grow.

Yep.

I'm shocked Merrick hasn't chimed in on this. I'll even use a smilie to show my true feelings. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a few views on this. First is that it needs to come from the bottom up. I am not going to pick class reps. What I would like to see is for a whole bunch of Hobie 18 sailors to get together and select someone, form a Hobie 18 owners association and then let me know who their leader is. I envision this as being totally separate from the HCA Board and basically independent of the HCA (but still made up of HCA members and sailors).
Being independent would allow the group to just think about their specific class. It would also give that class one clear voice to the HCA Board.
I could go on with my opinions but like I said , this should come from the bottom up. So you tell me.
Bob

Post subject: Class Captains
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was the one who mentioned class captains in one of my posts on CatSailor. For years we have had informal "class captains", people who take it on themselves to call around to others to attend events, organize groups to distant events, help novices, talk up the class, and be an advocate for their class. I did this informally for H-18 class/Div 11 back in the 80's and early 90's ($150.00-200.00/month phone bills back then, internet and cell phone calling plans will make it easier and CHEAPER!!!)

Part of the reason for this is so that some of the smaller classes have a voice at the Divisional and National levels and do not get lost in the crowd.

Here in Div 11 we are already asking for volunteers for each class H14, -16, -17, -18, and H-20. George Kuney has volunteered for the H-18 class already. We have some nominees/volunteers for most of the other classes too. We will just have to fiqure out some of the details as we go, but forward we are determined to go.

A Personal Thank You to Bob Merrick for your efforts in making this happen
Your Friend, Sincerely Harry Murphey

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 16 class rep posistion is vacant.