Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey All
Has anyone hear taken kids with them on an Adventure Island. Was thinking of getting a Kayak for me and my 6 year old, and we saw the AI, and we really want to pick one up, but if it is a one man show I will have to consider other options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife (105 lbs) will occasionally ride behind me in the cargo well. It's enough to raise the bow a couple inches but doesn't really cause a problem under sail.

I've just made a small trampoline seat out of nylon fabric and 1-1/2" pvc that rests on top of the akas and gives better balance. It's a lot more convenient to have her sit beside me than behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The cargo area behind the seat has plenty of room for a six year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

baysailor wrote:
I've just made a small trampoline seat out of nylon fabric and 1-1/2" pvc that rests on top of the akas and gives better balance. It's a lot more convenient to have her sit beside me than behind.

I would like to see a pic of that. Sounds like an interesting project. Hobie sez not to pick up the Island by the attached akas (only the X-braces). So, it would be interesting to see how well the weight gets distributed.

Does the ama on the side she sits on still come out of the water under sail?

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I take my kids all the time. They are 10, 3 and 2. The two year old rides in my lap, and it is great. I just have to be very careful to keep his feet away from the pedals. I make a point to mostly sail when I have him with me.

I am 195lbs and I can ride in the back no problem while my 10 year old sails from the front.

I also have a very early model classic before it was called the classic. When the 10 year old was 3, she used to ride in the back of that thing. The AI is a stretch limo compared to that thing. Actually, she rode in the back of the classic in West Palm Beach a couple of weeks ago because we used it to shuttle 4 people out to that Sand Bar in front of Sailfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I just ordered a yellow one. Now I just have to wait for the ice to melt, oh yeah and learn to sail. I would be really interested in seeing some pictures of that second seat rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakaholic,

I'm traveling this next week but will post a picture after I return.

It's just a rectangle made out of pvc with nylon laid over it. Its sits on top of the metal akas and is secured with bungee cords. The two short end pieces are not glued into the ells so it is easy to break down and stow.

The boat is better balanced with the weight amidships than behind and it's not enough of a lateral weight shift to overburden the ama. If I ever get my wife out in enough wind to make the ama come out of the water I'l let you know what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

baysailor wrote:
My wife (105 lbs) will occasionally ride behind me in the cargo well. It's enough to raise the bow a couple inches but doesn't really cause a problem under sail.

I'd like to see a picture of that or a sketch of the design. It sounds like a nice project. My wife rides in the rear cargo area and its ok but hard to converse and she complains about sitting in a puddle. I also think it adds to seepage of water into the hull thru the rudder lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Michigander,

My wife goes with me all the time. I have a seat that snaps in the back for her and we sit back to back. The advantage of the seat is it gives her a secure and comfortable place to sit. Before I got the seat she went with me but wasn't as comfortable. I posted pictures on the forum of the seat a few months ago.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=39716&highlight=#39716

Your kids are going to LOVE the AI. You made a wise choice.

Post subject: Kids in the AI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Michigander,

My 4.5 year old loves riding in the storage well on the bow. I put a boat cushion in there for him to sit on and he really digs it. He's big for his age, and has plenty of room, so I'm sure your 6 yr old should fit (for a while) too.

Where are you located in Michigan? I'm outside Grand Rapids.

Best, Hayes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone this has been a big help.

Hey hwyngarden I am in the Howell Brighton area. I would say less than 2 hours from grand rapids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain