Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a Hobie Kayak trailer on order for Spring '08. It will be set up for transporting 2 AI's, using cradle sets and the tower-center structure.

I've gotta admit it was brilliant to have the towers able mount an automotive type rooftop storage box. This leads me to a few questions our Hobie sponsors (and perhaps forum members) can answer.

I don't want to use the Thule brand box illustrated in the Hobie catalogue. I prefer Yakima, and matching keys for other Yakima gear I have.

1) Are the tower crossbars adjustable? If not, how far apart are they? Will they work with a Yakima box?

2) How wide are the tower crossbars. I want the biggest Yakima available, the Skybox 21. All it needs is 24 inches to rest on. Will this interfere with carrying the masts?

3) What size ball hitch does the trailer use?

4) Where can I get a spare tire and bracket to mount on the tongue?

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't answer all of them, but...

Quote:
3) What size ball hitch does the trailer use?

Pretty sure it's a 2 inch. Last one I saw was 2 inch. It's the same base frame as the Bravo/Wave trailer.

Quote:
4) Where can I get a spare tire and bracket to mount on the tongue?

I'm sure there are lots of places online if you're dealer can't help you out. You could try a Northern Tool.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200330149_200330149

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316893_200316893

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Yakama Sky Box 16 but I made my own tower. If the 21 is any wider it will bump the masts when you launch.

I was going to use a tongue mount for my spare too. But what I did was to just get a cheap cover and throw it in the box with the rest of the stuff. There's plenty of room in 16 for all our gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My hobie trailer takes a 1 7/8 ball. It was one of the first trailers produced so I dont know if they changed tem. :lol:

Post subject: To JacksonHoleWyoming
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a Hobie Dealer in Coeur d'Alene ID/Spokane WA. area. The Hobie trialers are made just 30 miles from me and this week I will be installing a tower on a trailer. Now my tower is a little different than Hobie's tower as I have made modifications to it for my customers.

A) The tower crossbars adjustable on my model, except for the rear one where the light mount. They will work with a Yakima box or really any box.

B) I have not measured them but I will this coming week. Really I can get any length I want within the law for street legal. Will not interfere with mast cradles.

3) What size ball hitch does the trailer use? 2 inch I know from the Trailer factory.

4) Where can I get a spare tire and bracket to mount on the tongue? You can get them from almost any tire store or from the trailer company.

Hope this helps,

Post subject: My Hobie Trailer Setup
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

Well, I finally got my long awaited spring delivery of 2 AI's and a Hobie Trailer.

My dealer had a lot of problems setting up the trailer... It needed to be bolted together with a lot of parts and poor instructions. Not a problem for me though, as it was included in the price. The trailer is well built.

A note for licensing the trailer... Altho the instructions say the brand is "Calkins", it is actually a "Carnai". Carnai has recently bought out Calkins and hasn't updated all info included with the trailer.

I've mounted a Yakima Skybox 21 on the trailer's T shaped towers ( http://www.yakima.com/racks/cargo/boxes ... ox-21.aspx ). The metal stock used in the towers makes it impossible to mount a rack using stock Yakima equipment. Not a problem. I bolted the sucker to the tower using four 1 1/2 " X 1/4" stainless steel carraige bolts, washers, lock washers, nuts and Locktite.

The Skybox is enormous; it will hold tons of gear, life preservers and children. :twisted:

The only thing left to do is add 2 solar powered lights from Sollight ( http://sollight.com/products/lidlight.cfm ).

BTW, the cradles for the AI are pricey, but well designed. Our AI's will sleep fully assembled on the trailer between outings.

The only thing I need now is for the friggin' lakes to thaw.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles