Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOME MADE CAT BOXES
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking foer any ideas for making a cat box that is functional any one built thier own :?: do's and don'ts :roll: Thinking of A PVC pipe 12'' -16" in diameter. with some type of rig for caps.

Thanks in Advance

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just epoxied a piece of plywood to the front of my 8" PVC tube and made a plywood door with a hinge & lock for the back. Pretty easy. Some people drill holes in the top & bottom to allow for better drainage & keep the tube from floating if the trailer goes in the water.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't know about the 12-16" PVC- it might be awfully expensive-especially if you want to buy fittings for the ends. One of my trailers has some kind of corrugated pipe with caps- it might be polyethylene, I'm not sure. The caps are held on with bungees- It works well.- Dave

Post subject: Homemade cat box
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Todd- I built one using plywood as a base and a sheet of corrugated metal roofing for the top. It is easier to explain how to do it if I get a photo of it on here. To get a picture I need to get to my brothers farm where I store the Hobie. I'll see what I can do- it would make a great winter project and cost is about $50. You can also get 14 and 16 in diameter drainage pipe from a supply company for about $10 a foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stephen,

Can you read minds, I was just brain teasing myself on how I want to finish my trailer set up I went with the PVC 15" painted it orange with yellow caps, You can spot it ten miles away, kind of matches my redish orange/yellow hulls. I like your Idea I'm moving towards a cage set up. I would like to see what your talking about. My hull repair job went great :P I used Git Rot very easy to use small amounts til it filled, heated up nicely still has a few days to cure fully. The cool thing is I love working on my boat as much as I love sailing it.

Good Sails
Todd