Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We've just gotten our own Hobie 16 and are looking forward to a fun sailing season.
Being located in Mid-Michigan, I tend to sail Lake Lansing a lot but we will be taking our new boat to Gaylord and try our hand at sailing Otsego Lake.
Otsego is a nice long lake with plenty of room for sailing. Plus, the state park is quite nice.

Where do you like to sail and why?

Cheers,
Nick

Post subject: Where I like to Sail
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I like to sail any where I can when there is wind. Right now I am sailing Wed nights out on Lake St. Claire. I also do some sailing at the family cottages in Mid michigan by Clare.

Sometimes I also sail with CRAM at some of there venues.

Have you thought about racing your 16 at all?

The Skier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, I have thought about it but that's as far as it's gotten! :wink:
This weekend is more of a family camping/sailing thing; just cruising the lake and taking it easy (hey, son, don't bother cleating the jib!)
As soon as I get used to the boat, I'd like to get involved in some racing. I've raced FJ's with the MSU sailing club, but that's about it.
Maybe we could hook up sometime, kick back some cold ones and you can fill me in?

Cheers,
Nick

Post subject: Sailing in Mich
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nick,

There is a Hobie fleet down in the metro area, Fleet 276, and we are racing informally with ABARYA and Northstar sail club on Wed nights. There is a fun sail planned for next weekend at Metro beach. Plus in August there is the Cat Fight which has currently 15 Hobie 16's planned for attendance.

The Skier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey IM right in mid michigan. I dont have my hobie yet. The deal is finalized on sunday morning and im going sailing in crystal lake that day with the previous owner. But I belive I will be sailing alot on Higgins lake. They have 2 campgrounds that are nice and it is a big lake. I know cram does a couple races there a year. And when I was out there today I saw a few hobies. Very clear water so thats why im usually there for scuba diving. But lake lansing is going to be more of a place for me after august because i start school back up at State. Any sugeestions on were to keep my boat for a few months?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You may want to keep your boat at home!
The MSUSC (Michigan State University Sailing Center) is a great club to join.
Pretty cheap and lotsa boats (including hobies) to sail. The people who work there are great and it's VERY convenient to only have to hoist the sails and go as opposed to dragging your boat around, stepping the mast, etc.

http://www.imsports.msu.edu/Sailing/sailingcenter1.html

Try this link.
If you DO want to keep your boat close by, there are a plethora of storage facilities throughout the city.

Good luck! Let me know what you decide to do. Maybe we can sail together sometime.
Cheers,
Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail with CRAM in Michigan. We go to some of the best sites in Michigan and most of them are centrally located for you. I would highly recommend Higgins lake (south park), Caseville (CRAM race there this weekend), Tawas Bay (sail from the park), Muskegon (location of Catfight) and Lake Charlevoix (Young State Park). These locations allow camping right at the site and have great access to the beach. Come race with CRAM sometime. If you are a beginner, you may want to come to one of our smaller regattas to get the "look & feel".

http://www.websitemagic.com/cram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, I live in Lansing myself. I'm fortunate to have a family cottage on White Lake where I keep my H-16. Launching and storing my boat once a year seems to be a big enough ordeal for me - especially with my sketchy trailer situation. Unfortunately, I've been too busy this year and haven't launched it yet :cry:

So I guess I don't have any good advice on lakes since I've only been on one - but I figured I would chime in anyway. White Lake is a pretty good sailing lake (about 6 miles x 1 mile) with Lake Michigan access - although I know there would be plenty of other better options depending on how far you are willing to drive. It's only 2 hours from Lansing though and I could tell you a good hassle free launch if you are interested.

I've had the boat 2 summers now and my wife and I started from ground zero in sailing knowledge. We've made a lot of progress and had some great fun but are still relative novices.

My project this year (hopefully), as discussed on the other forum, is to try and slap a motor on this puppy and get out on the Big Lake. I've talked to people that tacked their boat 37 times through the channel but that's too stressful for me.

Cramster, incidentally I am trying to head up to Young State Park next weekend to camp (no boat) but wasn't able to get a reservation. Is this a good campground? They have some sights that are first come first serve - you ever get one that way? I imagine Lake Charlevoix would be a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I higly recomend going to a CRAM regatta. You will learn more about sailing your boat in one weekend than you would in a year sailing by yourself. Not only are they some of the best cat sailors you will find anywhere they are also some of the nicest people.

Post subject: Where to sail and CRAM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree that sailing with cram would be helpful in learning to sail your boat better, but most of the members are sailing Nacra's and Intra sail boats. Very few Hobies in the group, but most of the members are former Hobie sailers.

I know there is going to be a regetta held next weekend at Austin lake over by Kalamazoo sponsered by Hobie fleet 519. They also have some racing going on during the week on Wed. night.

Here is the link to the NOR (Notice of Race).

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Dropzone/6199/Regattas/austin_lake_2003.html

THe Skier

Post subject: MI Sailing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Join us for a day of sailing at Silver Lake, Mears MI. A small group of mostly Hobie 16, and a few 18 sailors 8) . July 19 and Aug 16. Two low key races, twice around the lake each race, door prizes, and low cost :D . Starts at about noon and usually done by 4-5pm. This group started out sailing monohulls 37 years ago and moved to all multihulls. Fair Winds Dale

Post subject: Hey DaveG
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Charlevoix is a beautiful lake to sail on. We typically get reservations in the Terrace campground which has good access to the boat launch area. You can assemble your boat right where you camp! I believe they have at least a few "first come" sites in Terrace.

Post subject: Sailing in Holland, MI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I keep my boat on Lake Macatawa in Holland, MI. I am new to sailing with an old Hobie 16 and haven't yet ventured out into the big lake. I want to, but getting through the channel without a motor seems a difficult and scary task. I am looking for ways to mount a motor, like a small electric Minn Kota or something.
Lake Macatawa has fair sailing, it has some dead spots, but none too bad. You can camp across the street from Lake Mac and leave your boat close by on the shore or anchored close by. The lake is not the most pristine in Michigan, though. Its waters are more brown-green than blue. I'd like to get up to White Lake or some of the beautiful lakes further north.
If anyone is coming to Holland and wants to give me some pointers, I would be grateful for the assistance. I am almost entirely self-taught at this point. I also should check out some of the CRAM events. Unfortunately, the pin on the frame to step my mast is broken - so putting the mast up and down is such a chore that driving the boat anywhere becomes a huge ordeal.
For now, I am having fun going out occasionally, hoping to make it to Lake MI perhaps for some sort of long(-er) distance trip soon.
!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie actually makes a motor mount for just this purpose. I picked one up last year and use it with a little Minn Kota trolling motor. Works great! A little cumbersome raising and lowering it, but, frankly, I don't have to use it that often.

Check out the rest of this site for other peoples ideas on motor mounts. I've seen some really spiffy things.

Lastly, congrats on your Hobie! Michigan is a great state to live in for sailing. Lots of places to go. Be sure to schedule a trip to Higgins Lake. Very beautiful and a whole lot of fun.

Fair Winds,
Nick
1978 H16 "Burt the Cat"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a member of the Austin Lake fleet. We are located just south of Kalamazoo in Portage. We race on tuesday nights at 6:30. We are made up mostly of 16's with some 18's, a 5.8, and a 5.5 that race regularly. We have sailors of all skill levels, from those that raced recently at the worlds in mexico to first timer racers (my daughter). We also have a regatta comming up July 24 and 25th. Let me know and I can give you specifics and directions.
John