Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

howster01

Here is a link to some pictures of what you are thinking about.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8343

Post subject: Thule Rollercoaster877XT
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone had any experience with the Thule Rollercoaster system? I am trying to decide on that or the Hullivator, and the money saved between the two is substantial. I just wanted some feedback if anyone has used this system. Thanks in advance for the info.

Cheers,

Howie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howie,

I have an AI and Rack & Roll Trailer. :D If you go with the R&R you'll need all of that $700 you saved on the boat to get it ready to roll.

My costs were: Trailer $1,999, Spare Tire $189, Extended 9' Tongue $159, Custom AI Cradles $220, Custom Aluminum Crossbraces & Brackets $120, Bow Support/tongue brackets $20, Misc hdwr & elec stuff $35. Total $2,742 before sales tax.

A 9' tongue is needed to get the amas to fit in the AI cradles correctly and get the boat forward enough so it doesn't stick out more than 4' beyond the end of the trailer. The 1" x 2" steel Thule crossbars were replaced with 1/8" x 6" x 60" 6061 Channel Aluminum plates attached to the Thule posts with 2"x3" 6061 Angle Aluminum brackets. The Thule bars were then attached to the new aluminum crossplates from front to back on each side. The 7' of boat extending out beyond the forward cradle is supported with a soft Y thingy bolted between two 9" brackets bolted through the tongue.

Call Rack and Roll, they're suppose to be coming out with a new, less expensive trailer. I needed one that could break down and be stored away without taking up too much room in the garage. But, I probably could have gone to a welding shop and saved a lot of money, but didn't think about it at the time. The boat is raised off the trailer to the garage ceiling with a Harken lift. Everything is right there inside, and handy, when I want to add the next best thing to my new toy.

Keep checking the forums. There is a lot of good advice out here.

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, Thanx for the advice. I have looked at the trailer you mention and like it a lot. However buying the boat first automatically negates the trailer purchase for a while. I just need a rack to carry the boat and accessories until I can get the trailer. There are several available for the A.I. and I will look closer once I have the boat in hand. I think this trailer is the trickest one so far, but not in my budget for a couple of months. So thinking of the Yakima boatloader and a set of saddles for now. I will let you know how things progress. I appreciate all of the info and assistance from everyone. Looks like I picked a great toy to go along with some company to boot. Thanks again.

Howie

Post subject: AI Transport Options
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howie,

Before I bought the Rack and Roll trailer I used an Extend-a-Hitch on my SUV to transport the AI. The front 9' was pushed up between the front seats and the remaining 7' hung out over the T bar. A carpeted piece of plywood extended from the back of the SUV and was bolted to the T bar.
That solution only cost $70. :roll: So why did I buy the R&R? :oops: Ouch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Bill,

I took a look at the trailer where I bought my AI, and I really do like it. I just couldn't see spending another 2 g's, but now I am actually considering it. The reasons for not revolved around me living in an apartment temporarily until I find a house at the end of the year. I just moved to Corpus, so don't want to buy straightaway. I wanted a simple transport system for the roof since I already have the Yakima rack for my road bikes. I was going to buy the Yakima Boatloader, a set of saddles and a cart to roll it from the car to the apartment. But after seeing the trailer, and how easily it breaks down, I could easily back it into a spot, roll it to the apartment, which is away from everyone, and take it inside, dismantle the trailer and well, end of story. But then there are the added costs you mention about the longer tongue and mounting accessories I would need. I will be talking to my dealer today or tomorrow to find out what I will need to spend here and just see what happens. I will end up buying some kind of basic set-up to get me by until the trailer is in-hand. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Bottom-line... Are you glad you got the Rack and Roll??? Got any pics? Thanks again for the insight.

Howie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

howster01,
Idea for your new Rack And Roll trailer:

You will need the longer tongue as the regular one will accommodate about 14' of boat. As for the spare tire here is what I did. I bought a new tire for $24 and carry it with me when I'm not in my local area. My thought is, it's a 16" motorcycle tire rated at 400# each. I just can't see having a problem. However I can always get a tire mounted and aired.
So now you are $150 closer to the Rack and Roll trailer!

Post subject: AI Transport Options
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howie,

[quote=" Bottom-line... Are you glad you got the Rack and Roll??? Got any pics?[/quote]

Yes, I'm happy now that I've made the necessary changes, BUT first, I should have checked with local welding shops to see how much it would have cost to make one.

In your situation, the Extend-a- Hitch and Hobie dolly looks like it would fit your needs the best.

Don't have any pictures, but the only changes in appearance would be the 1/8" x 6" x 60" 6061 Channel Aluminum crossplates that replaced the Thule bars. I added 5/8" x 5 3/4" x 59 3/4" plywood in the underside of the channel to make a good base for the custom AI cradles. Crossplates were attached to the R&R's 4" posts with 1/4" x 2" x 3" 6061 angle aluminum. When bolted to the R&R's post they formed a 6" wide T to secure the crossplates. The Thule bars can then be used for tie-downs on the end of the crossbraces running fore and aft.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bill. I went and looked at the trailer again today and think I am going to go ahead and get it. WIll take a month or so to pick it up since just getting the boat sorted out. THe dealer here will throw in the saddles to fit the trailer so I can at least transport it. Will keep you informed. I don't want to spend the time trying to sort out a welder since I don't know who I can trust since I just moved here. These seem to be very well made and people who I have talked to really seem to like them. Have a good one.

Howie

Post subject: 07--08
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

07-08 is my same question, thought I just paid for my 07. Please help me with what I should request from my dealer when I pick up the boat in a week. I will be beach launching from Miami beaches and going out 2 or more miles off shore to dive. I was hoping to exchange new parts for new parts, like turbos, rudder controls or anything else that I could exchange on a new 07 to upgrade for my application. Thank you in advance for your time and effort to help me. Keyone [Gregg]

Post subject: Been awhile...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

I haven't been here in a while, mostly due to work and moving. I purchased my AI finally and it set in my apartment for a month or so until I finally put it in a garage where I will be moving to in May. Not the garage, but in another apartment. Thought you guys had me huh? Anyway, she has never been in the water, and that is what kind of makes me think I should sell her. My dealer and I performed the upgrade for the rudder, and it seems to be much better than the old style. I have a fair amount of extras to go along with the boat if anyone might be interested. If you have read my posting in the for sale area, you will know what is included. If not, here it is again.

The sale comes with a brand new, never used, Hobie AI, red. All documentation and books, etc are included. I also have an extra brand new sail, which Hobie told me sells for $415 new that also is included. There is a new set of Yakima Land Shark cradles, a Yakima Boatloader bar, an Easy Step for assisting with loading and unloading, and a Hobie Plug-In cart. Al items are brand new, but the cradles and Boatloader were used to load and unload the AI from the shop to where it is located now, so that would be twice. I myself have about $3400 or so in the package, and I am willing to let it go for $2900. I am even willing to possibly meet someone to do the change of hands as it were depending on where that might be. I am in Corpus Christi, Texas at the present time, so there is a starting point. I wanted to also say thanks to everyone for all of their assistance way back when I was buying the AI. I had contemplated all sorts of transport and loading gear, but just finally settled on simplicity. I have loaded the boat to and from the shop and I think I made a wise choice, and I am only 5'6" tall. I am a very honest kinda guy, and wouldn't steer anyone in the wrong direction. I can promise the kit is as described. I had just moved to the area, and wanted an outlet to get out there and see the sites. I just don't have the time to do that and I hate to see such a neat toy sit and not be played with. OK, I am done now. Please let me know if anyone is interested. If someone buys the boat and comes to me to pick it up , I will take off an additional $50. Take care all and be safe. Howie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Howie, I have noticed in three postings here that you have a boat for sale. No doubt it's a great deal and you're obviously quite motivated to sell it.

Rather than go off topic on these other posts, let me suggest placing your sale item (and any updates) in the "for sale" forum, where potential purchasers would most likely look. That's what it's there for.

Best of luck on your sale. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Howie, I am a recent owner of an AI and I wish I wish you were closer because I would have picked up your AI in a heartbeat. Is transporting your AI still a problem? I purchased the Hullivator XT to transport my AI, it works great and the entire setup with the Thule crossbars ran to a total of about $600 - a lot cheaper than the trailer method. Honestly, I could do without the Hullivator and just used the Thule Outrigger which is about $60 and it would have worked just fine. Having experience with a Hobie Outback, the AI FEELS a lot lighter for me because I can pick it up and hoist it on top of my 4Runner roof a lot easier than hauling my whale of a Outback up there. The crossbars on the AI make for good gripping point and with the Outrigger, it should be fairly easy to load up the AI.

The AI is a FUN toy, I hope you reconsider the sale and at least take her out once because you will be hooked;)

Good luck with the sale if you do decide to sale it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I already had a Yakima rack for my road bikes, so I just purchased the Land Sharks and they work really well. I haven't had any problems loading with loading and unloading so far, but most likely won't have to do it again until it is sold. I know I would love it, but I have a hobby I actually love even more than this, and that is flying. Going to buy an ultralight and do what I love the most. Almost anyway. Take care and thanks. Be safe.

Howie