Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy guys. I'm currently planning to cross Bass Straight, which is a typically treacherous body of water that separates Australia with Tasmania - about 300km. I'll be island hopping all the way, with the longest stretch being about 65km. No one has ever done this in a SOT kayak before, though a few have done it in a SIK. I've got 12 months to prepare.

I am using an Adventure and the other day I tried out the standard sail in it, and was more impressed than I was expecting to be. It bolstered my confidence on succeeding in completing the journey, simply by virtue of the fact that by using it, I can use wind to my advantage. It gets really very windy down there - so much so that I am expecting to have to sit several days out by camping on islands and waiting for weather to pass.

However, even in fairly moderate winds, I almost capsized several times on my first go. This is not something I want to happen in the middle of Bass straight. So of course I started thinking about Sidekicks.

Here's my questions to those of you who have them:

Do they get in the way of a comfortable paddle stroke?

Have any of you capsized a Hobie with sidekicks and sail installed and what circumstances made it happen?

What are the cons, if any, of using sidekicks with the sail?

Cheers :-)

http://www.macleanoutdoors.com.au
Hobie Factory Fishing Team
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/fishing_teams/factory-team.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For that trip, have you thought about using a full Adventure Island?

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:19 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I can't find the post about a main sheet cam cleat, but I highly recommend both it and Sidekick for what your trying to do.

Checkout these posts on a huli with Sidekick, furling with a homemade device, and a quick release system for the main sheet.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6909

The huli was due to two things.

1. I did not furl the sail and overdrove the Sidekick system so the plastic insert sheared.

2. After the ama broke off, I failed to release cam cleat, or quick release fast enough. So practice.

Doing what your doing I might beef the plastic joint up with an outer PVC sleeve of some sort that you slide back over the joint when the aka has been inserted into the center crosspiece. Then secure it so it doesn't slip. Duct tape should do the job OK. I presume you will leave it rigged for long periods.

If you do huli from wave action alone (I never have), make sure you have a knife to cut the tape. You may have to remove one ama to right the yak. I did not have to do while practicing in calm waters with both ama attached. Try it.

Although you can furl the sail by hand you might want a device to do so. Your fellow countryman has designed a device to do so.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8455

There was another Aussie that used a trailer double V roller drilled out and placed on the mast to do what stringy has done. The guys moniker was "Choke". But I haven't seen him here for awhile and his pics appear to have been deleted from photobucket.

Here's a quick release for the clew.

I've since modified that a bit by just tucking the bitter end of the main sheet back through the loop. Practice that a bit until you have the right length to grab and have just a short piece of the sheet to pull out from the pinched loop.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4928

I would also practice striking the sail if you encounter severe winds. You will need a loop of bungie cord hung off the front hatch to poke the bottom end of the mast through. The top should fit over the sidekick aka, but still be secured with the regular paddle bungee on the side. (I used stbd). You don't want the top part of the sail facing oncoming water.

Sidekick , depending on your stroke, may interfere a bit with paddling (assume you want to sometimes give your legs a break). If you do a higher entry, and quicker withdrawal you should be OK. Move your seatup to the fwd position if your height permits it. Sometimes a few inches are all you need.

Another thing you can do is mount Sidekick further aft. It will, from reports posted here, work just as well another foot or two aft. Of course then you have tank well segmentation. If that's Ok, could be a good solution.

With the small sail I again highly (emphasis) recommend Sidekick for what your trying to do.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob, I have indeed considered the Island and plan to give it a thorough test soon. But when I compare the two, I see the Adventure (with standard sail and sidekick) as a kayak that can, if need dictates, be paddled. The Island, on the other hand, looks more like a sailing craft that can be pedalled. I don't want to sail the whole way. I just want to be able to sail if winds facilitate, or otherwise my arms and legs get tired.

Alohadan, thanks so much for such a detailed reply. I'll follow those links, study them carefully and assimilate anything that I find helps. Much appreciated. :-)

I'll report back and let you know how I go.

http://www.macleanoutdoors.com.au
Hobie Factory Fishing Team
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au/fishing_teams/factory-team.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

AlohaDan wrote:
I would also practice striking the sail if you encounter severe winds. You will need a loop of bungie cord hung off the front hatch to poke the bottom end of the mast through. The top should fit over the sidekick aka, but still be secured with the regular paddle bungee on the side. (I used stbd). You don't want the top part of the sail facing oncoming water.

If you don't have a bungee loop, you can just make a loop with line, tying it around the hatch bungee. Here are a couple of illustrations. Either way, your sail is quickly stowed yet ready to go. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:05 am 
Hobie Team Member

Roadrunner has posted a great pic of why you want the mast butt fwd.

5th

Your point on the difference between theAdventure versus the AI is well taken.

I'd recommend, however, while your testing the AI take a single blade OC-1 blade with you. I found just using half a Hobie blade works fine. You can get a higher angle entry that avoids everything. I think when I use my OC-1 stick (designed for single blade work) I'll find no problema moving the AI paddling. I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry a single and a double paddle (from years of river safety training). I use the single more often than the double, though the double is better when landing with a shore break (quicker adjusting on each side).

We also roll up the sail and disconnect the sheet line before coming in, less lines to get in the way of the paddle. Also with the reefing line rolled on the spool, it doesn't get dragged in the sand (always found it's way under the boat, drive well, daggerboard well, etc.)

Dan, how did your tests with the little sea anchors turn out?

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:01 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Dan, how did your tests with the little sea anchors turn out?

I made up the rig. You ought to try towing it!

Have not tested for various reasons including busy with various projects.

But primarily I need swells in a place where it's safe to do so. I am not risking my yak to test it.

There are two places to do this. Unfortunately next to each other. So right swell as not come to often, and I have forgotten the rig once when it happened.

But this year for sure as I think I can also test running down big wind waves where I don't have to worry about nearby reef or rocks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How Ya Going 5th
:lol: