Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey guys....

well, i just came across this forum and am glad i did as i have a few questions. i just got a sail kit for my hobie adventure. i took it out for the first time in light winds and even then felt like i was on the verge of capsizing. i was sailing on the icw lined with seawalls and docks so no shallow water to practice in, so i rolled up the sail and decided to find out the best way to right a capsized rig before it happens....

any suggestions? i dont have a daggerboard so using that to flip it upright isnt an option...thanks!
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i was recently capsized by a gust while sailing my adventure. no forethought was given as to how to recover from such a misadventure. i brute forced the water weighted kayak and sail upright only to flip it onto my head with a poor uncoordinated attempted side remount. the depth was roughly 6.5-7 feet, too deep to stand and a good distance from shore with no other boaters around. i was getting tired. i tried to pull the mast out while it was upside down only to be frustrated by the river bottom preventing the mast from sliding out of its mount. i ended up dragging it while swimming to shallower water-very tiring(almost drowned, actually).
there are a few things i could've done differently and consider important.
DON'T PANIC
a better pfd would've been great
a kayaking buddy is a good idea
the fins are slippery but with a good 2 handed grip i could've used my
body weight to help right the boat(less hard kicking and cussin')
pulling the mast out would've made things a lot easier(it floats)
using my body weight to press down on the rear would've allowed me to
remount with the boat more under me then pulling myself forward to the
cockpit rather than trying to pull myself across its narrow width
get in shape
practice never hurts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to re-kindel this thread. Now that the sail kit has been out for a while have others had experience trying to re-enter a turtled hobie? What seems to be the best approach in deep water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys: I have capsized several time in my sport (once off NagsHead, NC and once off AnnaMaria, FL) and its really not much off a problem to get it righted. The sport does seem to turtle while the outback lays on its side. I usually just reach over the bottom and grab the underside of the overturned deck and pull it over. The boat comes right up, then just slide in and off you go. Really not much trouble. I have not capsized my Island yet but it may be a little more trouble, but I think it will be not too bad. Ray J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have capsized my Oasis a few times and had no trouble at all righting it. As mentioned reach across the hull from one side and grab the other side, then slide back and pull it upright. As far as getting back in this can be a little tricky depending on your own physical abilities. All I can say is stay low and flat and try to shimmy up. I went out into a lake and practiced this a few times so as to know what to do and I recomend it. I have taken kayaking classes and the first thing the teach you is how to get back in.

Good luck and do practice. Having to drag it back in as mentioned is not a good practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I capsized my Oasis yesterday sailing solo with both sails in 20-25 knot winds.
I was sailing downwind and the rudder wouldn't hold on the port tack. It kept popping up -looks like I need the lock down screw that the AI has.
I had furled both sails, pushed the rudder back in its slot, unfurled the front sail and over I went. My first capsize and out a fair way in deep water.
I was dreading righting it with both sails up but it turned out to be easy.
I swam to the leeward side with the boat across the wind, reached over the hull, grabbed the opposite gunwale about midship and rolled it towards me. A couple of shifts of body weight later up it came, both masts and cart still attached. :)
The front sail was flapping wildly but I was able to reach the furling line and pull it in.
Getting back in wasn't hard- I had done that before snorkelling.
The most difficult bit was trying to retrieve my ballast drybag which was just floating. The wind made it difficult to come alongside it close enough to grab it. I got it after several attempts.
I lost my sunglasses and some items in the mesh pockets but nothing too valuable. (Lesson -have nothing unattached)
I took down the front sail (2 sails in those conditions was a bit ambitious) and continued home.
Overall it turned out to be not that much of a drama. :wink:
I was pleased that both furling lines held the masts in place and with how easy it was to furl the sail while still in the water. It would have been much harder to undo the bungee and furl that flapping sail by hand.
The kayak hadn't taken on any extra water while capsized either. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might look into adapting the new Adventure Island Rudder up/down upgrade to your Oasis. It works great on the AI and no crawling to the rudder to lockdown or release. Everything you would need should be in the kit.

Glad all went well with your self rescue.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Bob,
I was surprised at how easy the self rescue was -especially considering the conditions. It had always been something I dreaded- but not anymore!
Turned out to be an eventful Australia Day long weekend with a broken mast one day and a huli the next- valuable experience though! :)
My Oasis is actually the older Tandem with the older style pull up rudder that I modified to fit the newer twist-n-stow rudder. On the water I find it easier to just pull the rudder straight up the old way, so locking the rudder in place is probably the simplest and cheapest solution. I'm saving to buy an AI. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How Ya Going Stringy.
25knots..Yikes :shock: Glad you are allright. Any chance the wind might have separated you from the Kayak instead of just the dry bag? We think about that whenever we get knocked down on the Hobie 16.
Cheers
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Kep,
Thanks.
You're right- I have been concerned about getting separated from the kayak especially with the two sails in stronger wind.
I have been attaching the end of the mainsheet either to my wrist, using a surfboard leg leash wraparound, or if the conditions are marginal and I'm wearing my PFD, directly to the ring on the waist strap.
Taking that swim in the drink wasn't so bad after all. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good OnYa Stringy
I like to swim too but the first mate does not do so well in open waters.
Using a leash of some sort when going out solo is a brilliant idea.
Stay safe and have fun
Kepnutz :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Turtled my Revo on the first day, (Shouda got the Sidekicks), I just slid up on the hull and grabbed the windward side and pulled, she rolled up no probs, (sheet uncleated).
I'm skinny & I surf a SOT so I am used to slipping up onto yaks like an eel and twisting around in the seat.

If you are overweight and unfit it can be very difficult to do this.
Also some types of PFD will add to the difficulty of dragging yourself onto the craft. With reservations, it may be easier to mount your craft with the PFD temporarily removed.

Bottom line, get the Sidekicks, you will be able to sail in stronger winds and get more fun from your Hobie. (Wellnuts don't come out if you put them in properly IME.)

Post subject: Outback Turtled
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was out in a large lake recently on my new Outback with sail attached, and while trying to retrieve my sail line (sheet) which got away from me (and was not knotted) I overturned the boat. It went immediately to a turtled position. I was unable to turn it over; I'm 5'11" and 205 lbs, in decent shape. I ended up slithering on top of it and paddling painfully slowly to shallower water where I was finally able to get it to shore. The boat took on a load of water. The Outback's bottom is very wide and smooth, and it's a heavy kayak.
My thinking now is that it would require some type of righting line to bring the boat back upright. I need to practice all aspects of this, but am dreading it as well in case I'm not successful and have to do this reverse paddling thing again. Here's what I think is needed (and I would like some experienced feedback if it's out there): 1st, I will from now on attach items on the boat to the boat with clips; 2nd, I would remove the sail & mast from the kayak (someone here said it floats, are we sure??); 3rd, I would tie a line to the hard handle on the top side of the boat (now under water); 4th, I would stretch the line over the bottom of the boat to the opposite side, plant my feet to the boat and pull hard as if trying to walk up the hull; 5th, I'd mount the boat from the rear (???) , slithering forward keeping the body straddled equally over both sides of the kayak; 6th, I'd pick up the sail and paddle which would be trying to float away; 7th, I'd head to shore to drain the boat.
Where am I right and where am I wrong. Thanks for any feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day ManLee,
Sorry to hear of your capsize and unsuccessful righting. I'm surprised the OB didn't come back up OK. It is wider than my Oasis and a different hull shape so maybe that is the problem. I wonder why it took on so much water and whether that was a contributing factor? My Oasis had no water in it after my capsize.
This post may have some more helpful info for you:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9195

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

The sail rig will make righting difficult if the sail is not completely set loose (sheeted out). Like a big drift anchor. Likely that was the issue.

Upside down for so long... I would guess the rudder control handles leaked. They are not well sealed. You can do an air pressure / soapy water test to find out where it may have leaked.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)