Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The following is the itinerary (weather permitting) for a Flamingo to Chokoloskee AI sailing trip (about 75 statute miles). It is as follows:

Mon, Feb 25: Leave Flamingo, sail 19 mi, camp at NW Cape Sable.
Tue, Feb 26 Sail 19 mi from NWCS to Highland Beach.
Wed-Thu, Feb 27, 28: Relax at Highland Beach. Fish Broad River (2 mi) and Lostman’s River (4 mi).
Fri, Feb 29: Sail 19 mi to Pavilion Key. Meet any friends coming out from Chokoloskee for weekend.
Sat, Mar 1: Enjoy Pavilion Key. Fish. First day of 2008 snook season. More friends from Chokoloskee. Big fish fry and party.
Sun, Mar 2: Sail/pedal/paddle into Chokoloskee.

People doing this trip should have experience camping (sailing experience is assumed.) Fishing and fishing experience is not required.

If you are interested in doing this trip, make your comments/questions here or send an email to me at kwellma at bellsouth dot net.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Keith, keep your eyes open for the WaterTribe fleet. The race starts from Tampa on Saturday & depending on the weather, some of the high tech sailing boats may be reaching Marco by Sunday PM. By Monday some of the faster guys may be getting into the second checkpoint @ Big C.

www.watertribe.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am hoping to be down in the Keys by Feb 27'th, I will be winging it as no campgrounds were available back in Oct. when I checked. I have a list of all the boat ramps down there but don't know about parking my rig. Any suggestions from those in the know would be appreciated.

I am going to be sailing and snorkeling, no fishing gear. I will probably just sleep in the back end of my truck if possible. I hope to be able to stay about a week.

I just about have an idea worked out in my head, how to sling a hammock on my AI, so I can sleep aboard but haven't had the time to work out the details and figure I will use this trip to decide whether I really want to go that route.

gwiz

Post subject: Sailing the FL Keys
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gwiz--The FL Keys ought to be a great place to sail your AI this time of the year, but I don't go down there often so can't give you any specific parking/camping suggestions. However, you should contact FL Bay Outfitters http://www.kayakfloridakeys.com/. Ask them if they have info on the Florida Keys Overseas Paddling Trail. This is a trail modeled after the Maine Trail. I believe there are some camp sites off the beaten trail (no pun intended). Also, check the trip reports of the Paradise Paddling Club (basically run by FBO) http://www.kayakfloridakeys.com/PP/pptripreports.htm.

FBO is owned and operated by Frank and Monica Woll. They or their people should be able to give you advice on parking your rig.

You know some of the WaterTribers simply say pitch a hammock in the mangroves--that could be problematic if the mosquitoes are bad.

If I can be of any help, let me know. I can be reached at kwellma at bellsouth dot net.

Keith