Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CT - Central / anything?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a line on a Hobie 16 for this coming summer, and I'm wondering if there's anything in Central CT (I'm just outside of Hartford in Windsor), or if I really have to drive down to the coast...??? I've heard Madison is good - how about New Haven or Old Saybrook - more directly on the road south from me? Thanks for any help you can offer. (recovering Laser and Corsair sailor)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You poor soul; you have a serious Hobie jones but no outlet for it. You may find some rinky-dink lakes nearby, but once you get on a large body of water with good wind those small lakes aren't worth your time anymore, but the driving time to the coast and rigging time combined (along with finding a suitable and regular crew) hardly make the effort worthwhile. You have my sympathy.

Is there a "Hobie Beach" on the coast where you can keep your boat during the sailing season? It's done in Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara with good results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Madison Surf Club (so named, despite the lack of surf) has a fleet that stays on the beach all season long. You may be able to keep your boat there. I don't know what costs are involved or if you have to be a member of madison or not, but it might be worth checking out. I don't have any contact information, unfortunatly.

Also, I live in West Haven, and plan on having a 16 in the water by Summer, if all goes well with the boat I want to buy now, and I'd be happy to have another to sail with. I've got a couple friends with the boats too. And as you said, New Haven (five mins from me) is due south of you.

Webb '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Madison Surf Club is closed - only for residents. Hammonasset Park is the closest one open to the public