Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Get a Grip!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Adventure Island has a nice aka bar behind the cockpit to help handle the boat. After using it for awhile, it became apparent that a grip like this would make it easier to handle any of the Mirage kayaks. So here's a quick project to help carry the day.

This addition uses Hobie's Lift Handle (pn # 71190001; about $8.00). You've probably also seen it in service on the AI and Outback. The hardware for this installation consists of a couple of 1/4 x 20 x 1" Phillips pan head stainless screws, flat washes and Nyloc nuts:

If you get one, make sure your dealer grabs the handle with the pre-made holes like the one shown, not the Bravo version without holes!

We're installing this between the cockpit and the cargo well. It should work on all the singles, not just the Adventure (shown). Make sure you can reach this region before you drill! Looks like this:

When done, you'll be able to lift the boat sunny side up using your new grip and the drivewell, like this:

This gives you a lot more gripping options than the alternative:

Once you grasp the versatility of these little handles, it's easy to get carried away and start putting them all over your boat! We already have 4 on the tandem!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:shock: ... man wat a great idea , its so great that I just ordered the handle ... :D ... now I'll be able to lift my OB and do curls easier ... :P .

... THANKS ! !

Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I'm going to put that in too. Great idea!

/bing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:05 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Very nice MOD! That is one heck of a reach isn't it, I just want to ECHO what RR said, make sure you can reach the holes you drill from the inside of your yak!

Once again nice job and great pictures.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks RR. That's a "gotta have".

I also like the tennis ball used as a cushion on the cart. I've been using small sections of pool noodles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why do you guys use tennis balls / noodle slices on the base of the cart uprights? Is the padding on the horizontal bar not enough? I cant see how damage could be caused. I can see how you could do some damage if you had too much cushioning on the uprights, therefore preventing the cart from being fully plugged in.

Comments? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another great idea RR- Hobie should start adding the handle during production! 8)

Gorkle,
The horizontal bar on the cart can cause hull deformation. The tennis balls transfer the weight back to the scupper tubes which are stronger. You do have to be careful that the cart tubes still extend through the kayak though. See RR's posts here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7223

Interestingly though on my 06 Tandem the scupper tubes don't come all the way through the deck. They end beneath the deck in a double layer of plastic. I guess they're not really scupper tubes as they don't drain anything -more like a dedicated cart tube. :wink: It was changed in later models.
Some have reported scupper tube damage caused by the cart. I use the cart probably more than most in my commute (wheeling my Tandem and now my AI, kayak only, along the road for about 2km's each trip) and have had no problems in a year of use. I reckon the tennis balls are a great idea. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
The horizontal bar on the cart can cause hull deformation. The tennis balls transfer the weight back to the scupper tubes which are stronger.

Yeah, of course. Thanks mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, how did I not think of this. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to do that with my o/b it is so heavy on land. But it sure is smooth and stable in the water. :D
Brazos

Post subject: Re: Get a Grip!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
The Adventure Island has a nice aka bar behind the cockpit to help handle the boat. After using it for awhile, it became apparent that a grip like this would make it easier to handle any of the Mirage kayaks. So here's a quick project to help carry the day.

This addition uses Hobie's Lift Handle (pn # 71190001; about $8.00). You've probably also seen it in service on the AI and Outback. The hardware for this installation consists of a couple of 1/4 x 20 x 1" Phillips pan head stainless screws, flat washes and Nyloc nuts:

If you get one, make sure your dealer grabs the handle with the pre-made holes like the one shown, not the Bravo version without holes!

We're installing this between the cockpit and the cargo well. It should work on all the singles, not just the Adventure (shown). Make sure you can reach this region before you drill! Looks like this:

When done, you'll be able to lift the boat sunny side up using your new grip and the drivewell, like this:

This gives you a lot more gripping options than the alternative:

Once you grasp the versatility of these little handles, it's easy to get carried away and start putting them all over your boat! We already have 4 on the tandem!! 8)

Hobie might want to think about incororating that in there design. :D
Brazos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:56 pm 
Hobie Team Member

This is a great idea. I have always wanted a handle there but never taken the initiative to do it. This will make putting the wheels in a whole lot easier when the kayak is loaded for fishing.

So today I drove over to OEX Oceanside (Hobie Dealer) and Nate and I popped a handle on my Revo. He put one on his and another one in front of the round hatch so he didn't have to put his hand through the mirage well.

Killer addon - Hobie should really consider this.

--
Drew Clark
Hobie Kayaks Fishing Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've found that if I open the forward 8 inch hatch, I can pick up my Oasis by gripping the edge of the hatch hole with my left hand and the aft drive slot with my right. I don't think I could damage the edge of the hatch this way - it looks quite solid - but I am happy to hear opinions.

It's not something I do regularly as the boat is so big, wide and heavy. I don't think I could load my car that way without blowing a gasket in my lower spine, but the technique removes the need for a handle for this sort of lift. Might fit some handles on the sides, though as there is not much to grip on the Oasis. My traditional kayak paddler mate calls it "The Bismark".

I also have some photos to put up in here outlining some mechanical 'adventures' that I've had with drives and rudders. I'll get to it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RR --- I'm glad I've started skimming this forum again and found another of your great ideas.

I recently bought a Chevy Avalanche and instead of trailering my Adventure, I've been sliding it up the back of the truck bed and onto the roof racks. Not too tough, except for finding the right place to grab the kayak. That handle will be just perfect.

Terry (Terri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Terri,

It's nice to see you over here! 8)