Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 16 and just got a 2004 jetta, Ive been using my dad's 2000 Ford ranger XLT to tow the hobie with no problem, I was wondering if my VW Jetta (stock) 115hp Can I tow a single hobie?

Similar instances?

Any input would be so helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:38 pm 
yep, I have a 1999 Jetta TDI (90hp) and it tows just fine. I even get 40mpg while towing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just retuned from Sicily last summer spent four years there. A buddy of mine has a H tiger he towed it with a 1973 Cinquecinto very similar to a old mini coopper the motor was as big as my size 12 boot.

So if there is a will I'm willing to bet there's a way.

[IF THERE IS NO WIND ROW]

Todd C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Be careful not to back your hobie down a slick, wet, boat ramp with a small car. I've had to help pull many honda's, VW's, Toyota's, and what not, up the local boat ramp with my jeep. It's easy to unload the boat and pull the empty trailer up, but it's a little harder to load the boat and pull the full trailer up the ramp.

Just my two cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 90HP light pickup and it pulls my H16 fine on the freeway at 75mph. The back tires usually spin a bit if they're in the water as I'm pulling the boat out, but I've yet to "get stuck."

Good luck!

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I can find a photo I will ask Jaime to post it- We went to Assateague Island every summer for many years with a Pulsar NX pulling a 16. We carried our bicycles, a canoe, a screen tent and a full sized wall tent, 1 or 2 weeks worth of camping clothing and gear and my kite collection, later years included a child, playpen for said child, coolers, case of NYS wine and all the other crap you bring when you camp out. :roll: Got about 27 mpg even though we went up and down some of the steepest hills you ever run into in the east. I miss that car.

Never had a problem on boat ramps either- front wheel drive usually has the front wheels on dry pavement above the waterline.

Snow flurries and crud here time to ski! Still sailing in TX Jim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:36 am 
marcusc130 wrote:
Be careful not to back your hobie down a slick, wet, boat ramp with a small car. I've had to help pull many honda's, VW's, Toyota's, and what not, up the local boat ramp with my jeep. It's easy to unload the boat and pull the empty trailer up, but it's a little harder to load the boat and pull the full trailer up the ramp.

Just my two cents

Diesel grunt pulls it out evry time :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

widerisbetter wrote:
If I can find a photo I will ask Jaime to post it-

Quote:
Snow flurries and crud here time to ski! Still sailing in TX Jim?

Weather.com says it's supposed to be 71-72, sunny, with 12mph this coming Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed! Ming says we can get new jib sheet cleats next month. (She really wants the up-to-uncleat. Image) I forgot why that was relevent. I guess just to show that she's not upset about her bruise. Which is almost gone now. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My Hobie is towed with my VW camping bus. The VW has a small Diesel engine providing 57hp when it was new. We made it down to the coast a few times this year and many times to the local lakes. The trips are kind of slow - but no trouble with steep boat ramps. We are also thinking about putting a trailer hitch on our Mazda Protege.
Hmmm... try it this way... Would you be concerned giving four of your buddies a ride that are more on the heavier side? Those guys would weigh more than the boat and the trailer.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just for fun, dig this:

That's my 90HP truck, plus the Hobie, PLUS nearly all of my stuff when I was moving this past July. Including the boat/trailer, that's over 3000lbs. worth of stuff.

:)

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This represents at least an additional 300 lbs of stuff that came on the trailer- plus passengers and clothing that were packed in the Nissan in the background. Our bicycles aren't visible but they were there too. Can you spot Waldo?

(Thanks Jim!)

Post subject: Towing with Stock Jetta
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would suggest that you follow the Owners Manuel when it comes to towing with your VW. I know from my 2002 TDI owners manuel, that the only Jetta that has a tow rating for 1000 pounds is the TDI, which is more than enough to tow a hobie.

Your car could possibly tow it without any problem, but you could end up voiding the warrenty by doing so.

I also know from personal experiance that the auto manufactureres are very conseritive when it comes to tow ratings. I had a 98 Sonoma that was rated for only 1000 pounds and towed almost 3000 pounds with it with no problems.

Mark Colby
1973 Hobie 16
Jackson, MI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I towed a 16 to a regatta held by the Garrison Dam (Pik City N.D.) 5 years in a row with my 82 VW Rabbit. It had an automatic trans and would heat up if you went 65 but worked fine at 55. Now I tow an 18 Magnum with a 2000 VW Diesel Beetle. Once you get them rolling they tow real nice! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess thats a feat from Bedrock :lol:

Post subject: Or possibly
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good one :lol: I suppose it could also be the FEET from bedrock ? :wink: