Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the wire
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim (JaimeZX) I noticed you're standing on the hull while out on the wire.(the pic with your postings) Is there any advantages to doing so? Is there anyone else out there that does it that way?

Post subject: Interesting observation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't notice that before. Most of us stand on the bar, or if you're really booking on a reach, one foot on the corner casting and the rear foot on the hull to try and prevent pitchpole and flying lessons...
Whuzzup Jim? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually the wind was pretty gusty that day. I find myself usually stepping out onto the hull and then from there up onto the sidebar; so I guess when that shot was taken I was in-between. Probably. If you look closely you can also see my elbow is way back because I'm in the process of sheeting in. :oops:

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Woo hoo! Great day today! It's been cold for the last week but today it was 71°F and 20 gusting to 27! I insisted to Ming and my mother that we go out!

The wind was blowing in just the right direction, too! (The usual wind direction requires lots of tacking and gybing on long, narrow lake Nasworthy.) Today, however, it was blowing across the lake so you could easily reach back and forth!

The most difficult part about the day was having my mother aboard. She spent a lot of time crewing for my dad on this boat 20 years ago, but she's a little rusty and so she was mainly tasked with trying to keep the boat balanced and keep the mainsheet from dragging in the water. Also, tacking in heavy winds with three people is interesting. We got stuck in irons several times and finally I decided gybing would be easier and so we stuck with that.

After 45 minutes my mother was freezing because the lake temperature reflected the last several weeks' cool weather and the high winds made for lots of spray. I agreed to head in, but she was a little slow grabbing the dock, so we circled out into the lake to make another pass and, while hauling ass, we experienced my first pitchpole!

One second we were on a beautiful reach and the next I'm hanging from the trap wire, feet kicking, on a trip around the forestay (which I grabbed.) Ming caught the shroud across her tummy and was hanging there as I looked up from the water. "Get in here!" I said. She dropped into the cold water. I looked around for my mother and saw her bobbing on the other side of the boat. Not exactly sure how she fell but she was okay.

Fortunately during the capsize the boat tipped from the bows onto its side into a perfect bows-and-sails-45°-each-off-the-wind position and I grabbed the righting line and leaned out. Before Ming could even get up to help me, the boat righted. We all climbed aboard and after jury-rigging the trap wire return bungee (which had broken) we made a second approach to the dock, which was successful. I was laughing. Ming was smiling. My mother was shivering like we were in the arctic.

Anyway we all had a great time even though mother said she hadn't been that cold in years. And of course now I can say I've pitchpoled! Hahaha

Just felt like sharing!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a pic of Ming's nasty-looking bruise! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim- Congratulations- in an odd way :wink:
Ming- nice boo-boo! We used to have a saying that we didn't know if we had the proper amount of fun unless we came back hurt. "Hobie Scars"... I have a few. 8) Looks like you had a GREAT time! :roll:

Years ago, the guy who taught me to sail, Tom M, had his wife-to-be, my new bride, and the wife of yet another friend off the coast of Assateague on a screaming reach headed inshore when he pitchpoled into the back of breaking wave. The two women on the trap (his and mine) flew around the forestay and back, banging into each other like clappers in a bell. You should have seen THOSE bruises, both hips, both girls. Yessir, we had a heap 'o fun that day :lol:

Nothing that a little Jose', salt and limes couldn't cure 8)

That is when we invented The Church of the Latter Day Sailors- The Morons :lol: (please no offense to my LDS friends- thanks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, here 10 days later her bruise is almost gone.

Just for those of you who were wondering. :)

Jim