Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You know, it's been really cold here in San Diego too. I had to put on a spray top on Sunday. That's cold!!!

You will have to rake the mast forward of your normal sailing position if you are sailing Uni-Rig. One or two holes should do as you are working with a big lever so small changes will give you big results. You need to make the tuning change to balance the tiller load. Tiller load is important because it make the boat more or less comfortable to sail and takes leveraged load off the head of the notched rudder. You are right there is less total load on the rudder with one person, but the shift in tiller load because of a change in the boat's center of effort may increase the load on the rudder head which we all know is weak.

The EPO rudders have a stronger head (not nothched), a smaller profile with most of the area lost on the trailing edge. This has the effect of raking the rudders under the boat a bit. The smaller, stiffer rudders also take load off of all the parts. The outcome, less rig adjustment is needed to sail a 20 uni-rig with EPO rudders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Hammond, that was the answer I was looking for. Plus, I have seen you solo on your 20, with jammin' sail on Youtube. Good (censored) I tell ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The general rule of thumb on the H20 is the lighter the crew, the farther back you rake the mast. If I was single handing (i.e., extremely light crew) I would rake the mast back. To start I would adjust the rudders forward all the way under the boat and then rake the mast back until I got the right weather helm - for me just more than neutral helm. I race the boat at about 300 lbs with crew (5 lbs over class minimum) so that is pretty much the way my boat is set up anyway.

It has been a while since I saw anyone single handing the H20, but there was a really good sailor out here in Division 3 that used to do it a lot. No problems with broken parts. At the time, he used to compare the upwind performance to the A-class because there was no jib to get in the way of the air flowing around the main. Remember, the H20 is no slouch going to weather in the first place, so it must be pretty fast. Boat for boat, H20s running jibs with crews should be much faster than a H20 with no jib singlehanding down wind. The guys that single hand the H20 out here always run the jib in regattas.

Jason Moore
H20 992

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Put a self tacker on that thing and pick up a Tiger jib. :D

With the new fully battened jibs for the Tiger, I'll bet you can get a Tiger jib pretty reasonable.

Isn't that jib a bit smaller and with a self tacher it would be more managable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You know, this has become quite a popular thread!
Mike, great idea, but, why would we need that IF the boat goes up and down wind easy and fast AND turns quickly?
The thought of that huge empty trampoline, with no blocks and all that shi t is really kind of nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl,

I hope you weren't gloating or picking on Chris and the rest of the 20 sailors when you made that graphic, I'll would bet you that in the fullness of time the FXOne will go the same way and not enjoy a lifespan even as long at the 20.
It is a sick feeling when a boat you love gets abandoned by the company that built it. :( :cry:

Stephen

Karl Brogger wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually when I started drawing it I was going to put CW's name on it, (cause he's gonna die on that thing by himself), but then I figured it was mean so I put 10min worth of effort into drawing it and didn't want it to go to waste.

Tradgically I think may be correct about the FXone being shorter lived than the 20, just because of the Euro being so strong. So far that seems to be everyones complaint is that it isn't as cheap as a H16. There isn't that many used ones available so the used market is really strong and they typically go for a pretty penny. I don't really get attached to anything. I'm not going back to a 16 in any case, so it is entirely possible that since Hobie only has 3 "race" boats currently either in production or being imported that at somepoint I may have to buy a different logo. Business is business, I totally understand going where the market takes Hobie, if that is away from the racing crowd then that is what it is. If my next boat were to not be a Hobie I will probably be looking at an A-cat. God help me thats a check I don't ever want to cut. I made this remark somewhere else. I can only race in a fleet of one for so long, then I'll move on to something else, which considering my very narrow options it'll be a tough decision. I've made some great friends because of Hobie products, and had alot of good times. But I will probably never own a boat that requires more than a crew of one ever again. So I really only have one avenue to pursue with Hobie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I lied. I'm very attached to a particular model of belt sander that was recently discontinued. I was, and still am really pissed about that. I was looking for pricing for a second one when I discovered it was no longer being made. Sounds stupid but its true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A bit of a history lesson for all to consider:

Some of this I knew having sailed Hobie's since I ended my term of service to our country in 1976. However, I leaned on our resident board "Yoda" for some of my facts, thanks Matt.

H-14 Built from 1967 thru 1994 27 years,(no formal announcement made)
(still in production in Europe)

H-16 Build from 1969 thru Still in production (Hulls laid up by Hobie AUS) - I have heard recently (from a dealer) that US hulls are still being made. 39 Years so far

Hobie 17 Built from 1985 thru 2003 and one run of 10 or so boats from 2004 thru 2007 22 years

Hobie 18 built from 1977 thru 2003 --- 26 years

Hobie 20 built from 1992 thru 2007 15 years

Hobie FX One built from 2001? thru still in production (Built in France) - best guess - first one I saw was at the Mega.

Hobie Tiger built from 1997(?) thru still in production (Built in France) Best guess - first Worlds were in 1999, first boats into the US in 1998

I think I may go repost this on another thread with regards the question, when are they gonna put a spinnaker on a H-16

Karl, look on E-Bay for the sander you like I've found some unique things there and I understand exactly what you are saying. when you find something that "fits" and "works" that you are comforatable with and you even "like" it is much easier to do your best work.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Karl Brogger wrote:
...Tradgically I think may be correct about the FXone being shorter lived than the 20, just because of the Euro being so strong...

Hmmm. If the Euro is stronger than the dollar, then it would be cheaper to produce the boats in the US. Convice HCE to move Tiger and FX-One production here! No more trans-Atlantic shipping fees for us!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HAHAHAHA!! I am not the only one that calls you Yoda!! And he called you that for something OTHER than you being short and green!! Force is strong with you, master!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hell yea, and bring the 14 with them too, I need new hulls!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike wrote "Put a self tacker on that thing and pick up a Tiger jib."

Unfortunately, the tack to clew distance and sheting angle is all wrong. The difficult part in this will be the curved jib track. The Hobie 20 will require a custom bend. If I am able to source it I will post results with pictures here on a new thread.

It will also require a new design jib. This is my spring project for the boat. This will make it easier for the family to sail and maybe fly the chute.