Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cover
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking for a full cover for a 21se. Does anyone know of a used one that needs a new home or a vendor making them? I tried Sunrise Sails in FLA, Murray's, and the rest of the usual suspects with no luck.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Ken.

Have you ever used a full cover for the 21? Mine came with one and I ended up throwing it away, it was so complicated and time consuming.

Two 9 x 11' tarps with bungees cover everything that has to be covered and are very easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For winter storage I use one big 12 X 24 that drapes over the mast making a big tent. But using two for mast up coverage sounds good as I leave mine mast up all summer and have not been covering it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One note about draping tarps over the mast. If you don't pull the tarp tight enough (or even sometimes if you do), it has a tendency to collect water or snow. If you're not careful, this can put a lot of load on the mast. I would typically clear off the boat if there has been a heavy snowstorm. In the summer, I have cut holes in the tarp to let the water drain through.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Water just runs off but you're right about the snow, we clear it off. It slides off pretty easy with a broom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

>>Water just runs off

Most of the time it does. But if you tie the tarp on too loose or it loosens over time and it allows the tarp to pool water then this can be a problem. The pool just grows and grows and the mast starts to bend and bend.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most of the people in MI use milk jugs filled to the 3/4 mark with water. They tie the jugs to the tarp & let them hang. If the tarp fills with water or snow it dosn't rip. They tie four loose lines to ensure the tarp dosn't drift from side to side on the boat.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm a Hobie kind of guy. We use.... bungies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Water collected on mine the first season I had it (a 16 - if it makes a difference). Now what I do is put a couple of cheap laundry baskets upside down between the tramp and the tarp to help keep the water from pooling. (I use an old tramp - my good one is stored away till summer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

These will work to keep the water from standing.
http://www.saveonpoolsupplies.com/shopp ... ool_pillow

I have a full cover for my 21SC made from Sunbrella, and yeah it can be a pain to deal with, but you can leave it off for the times the boat will see frequent use. Those cheap tarps just don't last in the Florida sun.

When it comes time to replace my full cover, I'm thinking of going with something more simple, again made with Sunbrella (still need to keep it hosed down with 303). Anyway, I'm thinking of sinking some 4x4's near the boat and either making or modifying these for easy on/off doffing and storage of the boats PJ's.

You can go to a local upholstery shop with your dimensions... if your not choosey about colors, buy your sunbrella knock off brand on ebay. finding nylon zippers might be a challenge. Or if you can sew, often you can buy an antique tredle sewing machine to use. It's my understanding these machines will punch through almost anything and can be had ofter for less than $100. You will also need to add your own gromments for proper drainage, depending upon your design.

http://www.saveonpoolsupplies.com/Pool- ... olar-Reel/

No doubt a little shopping around will find lower prices on either of these items.

Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all of the input. I'm in California and the boat gets trailered everywhere it goes. I use tarps and loads of bunjees now, but wanted something more substantial for long term coverage. I had a full cover for my 20 when I sailed that. Yes, it was a pain but worked great. My 21 will be either painted or re-gel coated this winter and I'd like to make it last. I think I finally found the perfect (for me) boat.

The request still stands... If anyone knows of a manufacturer or anyone selling a used one, there is a case of Corona as a reward! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't know if this will help, but this is what my H21SC cover looks like.

Your SE might be about the same if it were colllapsed down...though mine still is covering a cabin you don't have.

If you want to try something cheap, you might think about buying one of those silver tarps and coating it with some elastomeric roof coating to extend it's life. Cut it as needed, add grommets and velcro. I've also read where 3M 5200 has been used to fabricate a non sewn sail. Just lay down a bead and fold...

I may have also mentioned this in a prior post, but you can buy an antique sewing machine for $100 (really) and it'll punch through leather, so buying your own Sunbrella and sewing it would be a LOT cheaper than the $700 your going to pay otherwise.

Good Luck

TC